Term 1 - Office of the Chieftain

All officials can delay turnchats. Just post a stop order.

Since we'll be settling a new city after nominations start but before the next term, remember to include a 2nd elder position in the election. :)

I'm still waiting for the Military department to get reinstated... :(

We have a military? :dunno:

-- Ravensfire

Can the chieftan appoint elected positions? I didn't realize he had this power.

So did I. I thought he could only appoint deputies......:confused:

don't the citizens have to be consulted before a decision like this is made?

I was going to announce it tomorrow, but Dutchfire has been appointed to Elder for our second city. Congratulations.

Congrats Dutchfire :goodjob:

So did I. I thought he could only appoint deputies......:confused:

don't the citizens have to be consulted before a decision like this is made?

Just as a reminder of what we all agreed to :p

Excerpt from Citizen Initiative - Tribal Government (Final Tweaks)

(...)

Each city will have an Elder. The Elder controls all functions of the city. If a city is founded in mid-term, the Elder will be appointed by the Chieftain. The Elder for the first city will be elected in the first term.

(...)

Gosh, I missed that clause. I would have voted against it then......Yes, the majority agreed, but......

Personally, I feel that an Elder should be elected by the citizens. (no offence to the ice2k4 or dutchfire though). I have no problems with dutchfire being the Elder for our second city, but I feel that he should have been appointed by the Chieftain after consultation of the citizens.

What do other citizens think?

Personally, I feel that an Elder should be elected by the citizens. (no offence to the ice2k4 or dutchfire though). I have no problems with dutchfire being the Elder for our second city, but I feel that he should have been appointed by the Chieftain after consultation of the citizens.

I think you should ask that of the future Chieftain candidates. I'm a bit disappointed that there wasn't a call for people to apply for this position, but I've been disappointed with this Governement for most of the term.

What I think is the best process is for the Chieftain to post the availability of a new position, and choose from those that are interested. It's quick, uncomplicated and works. A full blown election really isn't needed.

I'll also point out that the Chieftain, like any official, can delegate duties to another citizen. For example, ice2k4 could create a position today called Warlord, appoint DZ and give that position control over all units. It's not an office, and is dissolved at the end of the term, but it allows for quick changes while working on the permanent change via Initiative.

-- Ravensfire

What I think is the best process is for the Chieftain to post the availability of a new position, and choose from those that are interested. It's quick, uncomplicated and works. A full blown election really isn't needed.

I agree with this. I think Dutchfire will be an excellent Elder and I'm glad he has the position. However, officials derive their power from the people and the people should be consulted. Making the correct decision isn't sufficient if it's done unilaterally; the whole point of the DG is this is a collaborative process.

This doesn't mean an official, after consulting the citizens, can't make a decision that's contrary to the popular will. It may be foolish to do so because if a majority thinks an official behaved badly a coup may result; but we all are allowed to do what we think is right and proper and then suffer the consequences. However, not consulting the people on an important issue, particularly when there is no time pressure (we've known for awhile a second city was coming), is just wrong IMO.

I was going to announce it tomorrow, but Dutchfire has been appointed to Elder for our second city. Congratulations.

Thanks for the confidence! I'll set up shop now.

We do have a way of influencing the Chieftain's choice for an appointment.

Tribal Government said:
Section 3 – Confirmations
Any appointment may be challenged by a confirmation poll. If a confirmation poll does not already exist for an appointment, any citizen may create such a poll. This poll must be created within 48 hours of the appointment, and must ask "Do you approve of <description of appointment>", contain only Yes, No and Abstain options, be marked private, single-choice and expire in 2 days. When the poll closes, if the majority of citizens, not including abstain, voted No, the appointment is overturned. Any other result confirms the appointment.

I'm happy with the choice. I also agree that it would be a good idea to include "how will you handle appointments" in our questions to the candidates. :)

Chieftain Ice,
What are your plans for the worker next turnchat? I'd like to have it hook up the horses asap. It's the best tile for my city to work, and it's an essential resource for the protection of our empire.

Poll can be found here

As First Deputy I will be the EO for Term 2. According to our law the nomination threads will become open on Saturday morning and run through the weekend, ending on Tuesday morning. I'm posting this here, so that all citizens will know of the intent of the nomination threads in hopes that no citizen misses them due to falling on a weekend.

Thanks.

Spoiler Election Act of 4000 BC :
Excerpt from Citizen Initiative - Conducting Elections
The Election Act of 4000 BC

Conducting the affairs of Government in our system requires periodic elections. These elections allow citizen to chose their leaders based on their personalities, views and stated goals.

Terms of office will run from the first of the month to the last day. If the first term starts in the middle of a month, that term will not end until the last day of the subsequent month. No citizen can be elected to the same office in more than two consecutive terms.

Elections will be conducted by the official in charge of Election (called the EO). The EO will create nomination threads for each elected office, plus the Designated Player poll, 7 days prior to the end of the current term. After 3 days, the EO will post voting polls, one for each contested office, listing each candidate that has accepted their nomination in order of acceptance. These polls will be marked private, single-choice, and will be set to expire in 3 days.

Citizens can only accept one nomination for an elected office. If they accept more than one, the EO will try to determine which one is their preference. If the EO cannot, they will assume the most recent acceptance takes precendence. The Designated Player pool is not considered an elected office.

The citizen recieving the most votes at the conclusion of the election poll is deemed the winner of that election. In the event that more than one citizen is tied for the most votes, a runoff election poll, listing all citizen's tied for the most votes, will be conducted. This poll will be marked private, single-choice, and will be set to expire in 2 days. This process will be repeated until one citizen recieves the most votes.

A citizen can withdraw from an election at any time. This is an irreversible choice. When they do so, their name, and number of votes, is ignored for determining the winner of the election and for any runoffs.

The Designated Player poll will list all citizens that accepted their nomination. This poll will be marked private, multiple choice and will be set to expire in three days. All citizens receiving the required support will be considered to be the Designated Player pool for that term.

I believe Methos that the EO was only for the first term elections and now the chieftain has to do it I think.

Top Bottom