Term 6 Strategy - How do we win this?

Furiey

No Longer Just Lurking
I'm starting this up a little early as I'll be away on the 1st Jan.

So how do we go about winning this game?

I’m sure there have been several threads on this in the past, but the only ones I could find when I looked back through the forums are these:

Winning on 5BCC : Long Term Strategy
Our neighbours and the neighbourhood
(If anyone finds any more let me know and I’ll add the links)

From the discussions the tactic was to keep the surrounding Civs small, and this we have successfully done with Germany (gaining Berlin) and France (gaining Besancon). We are now taking on the once mighty Rome, who’s army is now weak compared to us, and with careful use of our superior forces we should capture Rome itself. This will leave us and Persia as the dominant forces on the continent, with England, Japan and a nearly defeated Babylon on the other Continent.

We are leading the tech race along with Persia who is currently also funding most of our research – where do they get all the gold from? The Japanese have gone from being backward to level in techs – are they paying the Persians? We have researched Democracy but the change has been delayed by the Roman war.

So where do we go from here? What options are still open to us for victory?

Domination was never possible with the limited cities we have
20k culture: the time for trying this is long past
100k culture: very difficult with a small number of cities, we are currently only making 139cpt and at that rate won’t get enough to win until 2218.
Conquest: still an option, but previous discussions indicated it wasn’t popular
Diplomacy: still an option, although we’d have to get everyone to like us a lot more.
Space Race: still an option, possibly the most popular in previous discussions
Histograph: still an option, we’d need to make sure nobody else wins then just keep the game going to 2050 – do we have the stamina for that?

We may not want to decide for certain on one victory condition now, but there are things we need to do to keep our options open and not lose the game:

We need to continue to keep our opponents small.
We must not let one of the others build the UN – we need to control the elections.
We must not let one of the others build their spaceship first.

But do we keep researching at full throttle? Are there techs we will not trade? When do we change to Democracy or do we stick in Republic? Do we want cities on the other continent, or do we clear the land on ours and encourage Babylon, Japan and England to build cities for us? Or do we wait to see where future resources are before we decide – Aluminium and Uranium are essential if we want to launch our own spaceship.

I have raised many questions, but my feeling is the space race is something to work towards, but not close our minds to other victories if they become available.
We need to consolidate our position on this continent, Rome needs to be reduced to a few cities, but so does Persia. We may have to leave Rome slightly larger than we would like to stop Persia from growing too strong, before returning to reduce Rome further still (Respawn is on so it may be difficult to finish them off completely).
We must keep the situation on the other continent balanced until we are secure on our own, we must not let Japan become too dominant there or with our limited cities we will not be able to compete.
We need to rush culture in our captured cities to gain land quickly.
We need to push our research hard and trade so that other Civs are paying us to research.
We need to locate the resources we need: Coal, Aluminium, Uranium
We need to look forward to building the Theory of Evolution – what techs do we want? With limited cities will the Hoover Dam be that useful or do we just not want someone else to get it?
We need Factories for increased production
We need railroads for increased production/food and easier movement.

Either diplomatic or space race. That way we go out of the Civ III Demogame with a bang (space) or as popular as we were in the first demogames (diplomatic).

I'd say Spaceship, if it is possible. Can we keep our lead in the Tech race far enough ahead to build a Spaceship with 5 cities? I dunno.

I think we should seriously consider some kind of amphibious attack on foreign shores. We'll probably want to keep our neighbors abroad busy from time to time.

I agree with RegentMan. I would rather do Space Race as we have the capability research wise. But production wise? We will only have a few cities, a Roman city makes giving us 8 a Persian war could give us 9 which will probably not happen. Therefore Diplomatic victory seems most viable. I also like Histograph, this allows us to continue to keep our science rate so it fits best with our current game flow. However with the CIV 4 DG starting soon the odds of having more than 5 participating players to wait out the game is slim.

I this SpaceShip is the way to go. If don't do any more wars after Rome and keep Science up, build hospitals in our cities to boost production and commerce, we should be able to do it reasonably quickly.

Time to find a good City to build the Apollo (not the theater)

DG1 (Persia) - Culture (almost spaceship)
DG2 (Germany) - Domination
DG3 (Rome) - Spaceship
DG4 (France) - Conquest
DG5 (Japan) - Diplomatic
DG6 (England) - Domination (??? I know we were close to this - I forget if we actually let it trigger, or went for culture).

DG7 - I dare you to do a time (histographic) victory. :p

Although space ship would be a nice ending to the Civ3 Demogame saga.

Spaceship
Definently
We need to keep the UN from being built, and raid their capitals tward the end to keep ahead.

I don't think we can win without knocking Persia down to a couple of cities, or even better leave them with their offshore colony only. We could potentially need any plot on our continent, in order to get Aluminum and Uranium which are both necessary for the victory conditions to be enabled. Perfect would be our cities as the only ones left on the continent, and a shore patrol which can capture any settler which lands. This means wiping out anyone who doesn't have an offshore colony.

For an added degree of difficulty, we can refrain from landing any troops on the other continent and try to rely on our ability to prebuild (i.e. planning ahead capability) as the only real advantage we have. That will likely result in a space race that goes right down to the wire.

To win diplo we would have to eliminate Persia and Rome (and probably France too) or leave enough turns to give them multiple gifts back to good relations. The best chance would be to have Japan as the candidate and only England and Babylon remaining, and hope both vote for us.

The immediate strategy needs to be severe culling of Persia, because we don't want to let them expand into former Roman lands and build up to the point they can best us in a heads up battle.

Top Bottom