The armour thread

Phrossack

Armored Fish and Armored Men
Part One: The Beginning

Rant: I can't think of a way to share my interest in armor without making armor the new Poland.

We need an Armour thread in WH.

Can't you start an Armor thread? Or an Armor social group.

I'd start an Armour social group, but I'm afraid it'd get Spammed

:rofl:

You asked (or more likely you didn't), I answered! Spelling of "armour" by popular demand and because it looks better. But don't expect me to shed my American ways in the paragraphs!:p

As it seems that a few other posters are not averse to the idea, I've started this thread. As mentioned above, I was hesitant to discuss my interest openly here, because the last thing I want is to make the subject of armor a dead horse whose mere mention makes people groan and eyes roll. But at least this way, I can safely quarantine the subject within this thread so it doesn't leak out and harm passers-by, like smallpox or mustard gas or bad music.

One of the reasons I like armor is because it's a beautiful, practical art form and craft. To succeed, armor has to stop most of the threats its wearer expects to face, be flexible and light enough to avoid excessive fatigue and keep movement free, and be affordable to the intended purchaser. Helmets must also keep visibility, hearing, and breathing relatively unobstructed. Aesthetics have also been a serious consideration, but more on that later. Various types of armor and helmets may favor one side of the protection/everything else spectrum over the other; armor that fully protects its user against virtually all threats is usually impractically heavy, cumbersome, and expensive, and there are few things fighters despise more than having too much to carry. Armor that emphasizes unrestricted movement, visibility, hearing, and breathing will likely leave its wearer vulnerable to most expected dangers. All proper armor is a compromise.

First, some myths about armor. Armor is commonly depicted in movies as being little more than fancy dress, and weapons of any kind tend to ignore it. Others claim that it's so hot and heavy as to make fighting almost impossible. This raises the question: If armor is cumbersome, hot, expensive, and unable to protect the wearer, then why has it been worn in one form or another by hundreds of different cultures across every continent for most of recorded history, even today? Quite simply, because armor works. It is, by definition, designed to protect the wearer. I'm not suggesting that armor of any kind will protect every time against all threats. There's a bewildering amount of threats and different types and permutations of armor. And there certainly have been periods in which the danger of threats present have exceeded contemporary armor's ability to practically protect against them, leading to armor's abandonment in all but a few situations. But generally speaking, armor works most of the time against the threats it's designed to handle, and if it doesn't, it isn't used.

Another, particularly silly and persistent myth is that medieval knights needed cranes to be lifted up on their horses, and that they could not get back up on their own if they fell down. This seems to originate from Mark Twain's novel A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. This myth falls apart the minute you look up any relevant information. For a start, there are no records of knights needing cranes anywhere. Second, full armor doesn't actually weigh all that much. For example, this excellent suit of late 16th century plate armor provides virtually total coverage and excellent protection against blades, lances, and most early firearms short of a musket, and weighs 47 lbs 5 oz. (21.5 kg) And the weight of armor certainly doesn't prevent the wearer from getting back up. Mike Loades looks to be in his 50's or 60's here, and it's no problem for him. Nor is flexibility a problem for these guys:

Spoiler :

Link to video.
Link to video.
Or for these guys. Bear in mind that they fight with wild abandon and little technique because thrusting is banned (too dangerous; could get a sword in the eye or armpit) and the rules are that you're out if you go down. They're crazy, but the point is that mobility isn't really restricted.

Link to video.
Granted, fighting is exhausting, and fighting in armor even more so, so you'd have to conserve your energy. Of course, those who could afford extensive armor could also usually afford to fight on horseback, negating a lot of the encumbrance of armor and offering a ton of other advantages. Understandably the most heavily armored warriors throughout history have fought on horseback.

At least with an extensive suit of good armor you'd be very safe from swords. There are techniques for fighting in armor with swords, emphasizing half-swording and thrusts to the exposed or weak spots in the armor (vision slit, armpits, which are protected by mail, and any other visible gaps). Even a fully armored opponent could be defeated with a sword, but it wouldn't be easy. You couldn't stand back, then lunge and thrust through his heart like you could with an unarmored opponent, and the whole time your opponent would be trying to kill you and defend himself. Nothing short of a good thrust to the few, small gaps or weak spots would bring him down, but if you were unarmored he could strike you wherever he pleased and it would still be dangerous. Another time-honored technique was to tackle your opponent and then try to stab him in the gaps/weak spots with a dagger. The downside of this is that wrestling on the ground would leave you very vulnerable to any other enemies nearby. Also, as armor design advanced (at least with plate armor) there were fewer and fewer gaps to exploit, and most gaps that were present had mail "voiders" underneath.

In future posts I'll try to cover some different types of armor, some of the history of armor across the world, the reactions in armor design to the rising threat of firearms, the decoration of armor, designs between the mid-17th century and WWI, designs from WWI to the present, and much more.

So feel free to ask questions, post pictures, dispel myths, or talk about anything related to body armor here!

You wanted something like this?

The level of detail on the breastplate is amazing but I am not sure whether the helmet would provide only protection or also sight...

Kataphraktoi armor is best armor.

That aside, I did hear about how some outlaw (either in the American West or Australia, forgot which) in the 1800s built a type of armor that could withstand the firearms of his day, the problem was that that armor was so cumbersome it was impractical.

Kataphraktoi armor is best armor.

That aside, I did hear about how some outlaw (either in the American West or Australia, forgot which) in the 1800s built a type of armor that could withstand the firearms of his day, the problem was that that armor was so cumbersome it was impractical.
You're thinking of the famous Australian outlaw, Ned Kelly. The problem was less that the armor was cumbersome - it wasn't really that bad - but that Kelly and his compatriots were unable to armor their legs effectively, and that was how the police eventually brought Kelly down.

The other members of Kelly's gang were similarly armored, but the circumstances of their deaths were truly bizarre - look up the Glenrowan shootout, it's just surreal - and I'm not sure we really know very much about how they actually died. The armor was recovered from the burning hotel where they holed up, and most of the pieces are now displayed in museums.

I've actually been to Glenrowan. I'd have taken to drinking when I robbed the place too.

You're thinking of the famous Australian outlaw, Ned Kelly. The problem was less that the armor was cumbersome - it wasn't really that bad - but that Kelly and his compatriots were unable to armor their legs effectively, and that was how the police eventually brought Kelly down.

The other members of Kelly's gang were similarly armored, but the circumstances of their deaths were truly bizarre - look up the Glenrowan shootout, it's just surreal - and I'm not sure we really know very much about how they actually died. The armor was recovered from the burning hotel where they holed up, and most of the pieces are now displayed in museums.

Hmm, yeah, Ned Kelly was the one I was thinking of.

And now I'm just imagining some wacko semi-steampunk WWI scenario with fully armored trench soldiers.

Kyriakos do you happen to know when Byzantine armies stopped using cataphracts?

I haven't researched it, but i would suppose their use was heavily limited after 1204 (fourth crusade). It probably was on the decline since 1071 (Matzikert) because the seljuks were now the main enemy and they did not use battle formations but relied on horse archers and their raids, while the Byzantine Empire always used battle formation and organised warfare.

Kataphraktoi obviously cost a lot of nomismata to maintain. The Byzantine army became more and more mercenery-based after 1204, and iirc only the first emperor since 1261 (liberation of Constantinople, end of the latin empire there) was able to use somewhat large armies comprised of the older type of forces.

In Worcester, MA there is, for a short time more, I just learned, one of the best collections of Armor in the US at the Higgins Armory Museum. Apparently they are merging with another museum because of lack of money. Which is a real shame. Anyways, a bunch of pics from when I visited there a few years ago.

Spoiler :

How about Polish armor? :lol:
Phrossack said:
...a dead horse whose mere mention makes people groan and eyes roll.
Spoiler :
:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:
But Pole-ution aside:
In Worcester, MA there is, for a short time more, I just learned, one of the best collections of Armor in the US at the Higgins Armory Museum. Apparently they are merging with another museum because of lack of money. Which is a real shame. Anyways, a bunch of pics from when I visited there a few years ago.
That's an awesome collection, Cutlass! The 16th and 17th century suits of plate armor in particular are my favorites, what with the blackening and the highly functional and beautiful angles and shaping.

Hmm, yeah, Ned Kelly was the one I was thinking of.

And now I'm just imagining some wacko semi-steampunk WWI scenario with fully armored trench soldiers.
As Dachs said, one of the problems was that the Kelly gang were shot in the unarmored legs. The armor did give excellent protection in the places it covered- Kelly was shot 18 times at close range in the armor, which stopped every hit. The armor was made of quarter-inch thick sheets of metal made from plows, and weighed a staggering 97 lbs. But the main problem with the armor was that the helmet prevented the wearer from seeing his weapon at all unless he held his rifle or shotgun out at arm's length, so the Kelly gang could barely hit anything when they wore it.

As for the WWI armored infantry, that's not as far-fetched as it seems. I was going to cover the subject of WWI body armor in full later, but this is the perfect opportunity. The Germans mass-produced Infanteriepanzer suits for use by snipers, sentries, machine gun crews, and others late in the war. It weighed between 19 and 24 lbs for breastplate and apron, and could stop a full-powered rifle round (.30-06 @ 2,780 fps) at 300 yards, or 2,140 fps at 60 yards.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Some German snipers also used an additional armor plate on the brows of their helmets, called Stirnpanzer (forehead armor). That's what the lugs on the sides of early Stahlhelms are for. I have no idea how well a helmet with Stirnpanzer would protect against rifle fire and at what range, but in any case it was unpopular because it added five to seven pounds and imbalanced the head.
Spoiler :

If you're interested, here's a book on the topic of WWI armor entitled Helmets and Body Armor in Modern Warfare. It was written by Bashford Dean, ichthyologist, armor collector, and interesting person around 1920. He had the largest collection of Japanese armor outside of Japan, and collected pretty much any armor and helmets he could get his hands on, becoming the curator of the New York Metropolitan Museum's arms and armor exhibit. During WWI the US Army tasked Dean and a team of others with designing armor and helmets for them. His book details all their different designs, but here's the so-called "Dean Panoply":
Spoiler :

More info in Dean's book: http://archive.org/stream/helmetsbodyarmor00deanuoft#page/248/mode/2up

It had a vulcanized rubber cushion to put some space between the wearer and the breastplate to protect him from the armor's indentation on being hit, and came with breast, shoulder, and groin protection, and interestingly even had complete and articulated arm protection modeled on 17th century plate armor. This armor could have provided excellent protection against shrapnel and pistol fire, and the occasional rifle bullet if it hit at a steep angle and had lost some of its energy. It was designed to be worn by men of different shapes and sizes and could be adjusted for their bodies, and the whole thing weighed just 8.5 lbs! But the Army never picked it up.

Interestingly, the Americans also experimented with heavy suits of armor for sentinels.
http://archive.org/stream/helmetsbodyarmor00deanuoft#page/244/mode/2up
http://archive.org/stream/helmetsbodyarmor00deanuoft#page/246/mode/2up

These suits (without helmets) weighed around 22 lbs, with an 18 lb helmet! Both helmet and armor could stop .30 caliber rifle rounds at 200 yards, and were meant to be used by machine gun crews. They were unpopular due to their weight. It's also interesting to note that the US and France experimented with greaves, though they were rejected as unnecessary encumbrances. Even so, it's kinda awesome to think that in WWI it was entirely possible to cover a man almost head to toe in steel armor that would at least make him almost immune to pistol ammunition at any range. The Dean Panoply plus a Ford Model 8 (see below) would have weighed a little over 10 lbs, and together with 1 lb greaves it could have done the trick. The arm protection wasn't really necessary, and probably got in the way of rapidly cycling a bolt action, so it could have been dropped for a small saving in weight. The greaves would also be more of a hindrance than a help, so such a suit of armor probably wouldn't be worth it. But it would be awesome.

One of my favorite designs was Dean et al.'s Model 8 helmet. It came with a visor that could be raised and lowered, and gave great protection against shrapnel and revolver fire at a little over 3.5 pounds or so. 1,300 were made by the Ford Motor Company, though they didn't seem to have seen action.

The book is filled with over 300 pages of very detailed information on armor and helmets, mainly from WWI but also with an introduction on earlier armor. It's really fascinating stuff- it includes plenty of information on helmets and armor from France, Britain, the US, Germany, Japan, Italy, and other countries, though information on some of the German equipment was somewhat limited because the war had just ended. It's amazing to see just how many designs for armor there were, and just how much armor was used in WWI. Most of it weighed under 10 lbs and gave good protection against shrapnel, and pistol fire at most ranges and velocities. There was even an Italian "body shield" that could either be worn as a breastplate or be propped upon the ground with its built-in bipod and used as cover, with the soldier firing through a loophole in it that could swing open!
http://archive.org/stream/helmetsbodyarmor00deanuoft#page/150/mode/2up/search/Italian
The Japanese also had body armor at the time and apparently used some in the 1905 war with Russia. And, of course, there was the ridiculous Brewster body shield, a stupid-looking 40-lb suit that nonetheless could effortlessly stop rifle rounds. In fact, the inventor donned his suit and "stood in front of a Lewis machine gun and received an impact of a number of bullets at full-service velocity (about 2,700 foot-seconds). The inventor said the volley hit him with what felt like a tenth of the force of a sledgehammer.

Long story short, I highly recommend reading this book if you're curious about WWI armor. Or just armor in general; Dean also discusses 16th century armor and repeatedly mentions instances of certain persons' heavy siege armor shrugging off dozens of musket balls at close range. The book has everything from hundreds of photos to detailed descriptions of design to descriptions and tables of the metallurgy involved in the construction.

More on this later.

@Phrossack: That's really interesting. Kind of reminds me of a statement someone made in an article or blog somewhere that WWI was basically the closest thing we got to a steampunk war.

I was always under the impression that armor developed that protected against firearms could be reasonably effective only until the 17th-18th century in Europe and a little later elsewhere, and that only until very recently we've seen bulletproof armor and that sort of thing, but never imagined that during WWI we'd have guys running around with that sort of protection. Sure it's not like they're running in plate armor but, hey. I personally think WWI was such a weird war anyways.

Come to think of it, I do vaguely recall some stuff about a lot of the makeshift, ad hoc weapons and protection trench soldiers developed, which included stuff like helmets with chain mail. Stuff that would look totally anachronistic if you didn't know about them.

Well, anyways, to throw in another picture, this isn't exactly real and is pure steampunkish fantasy, but I thought it'd be appropriate in light of my post (it's some art I found ages ago and still find amusing):

@Phrossack: That's really interesting. Kind of reminds me of a statement someone made in an article or blog somewhere that WWI was basically the closest thing we got to a steampunk war.

I was always under the impression that armor developed that protected against firearms could be reasonably effective only until the 17th-18th century in Europe and a little later elsewhere, and that only until very recently we've seen bulletproof armor and that sort of thing, but never imagined that during WWI we'd have guys running around with that sort of protection. Sure it's not like they're running in plate armor but, hey. I personally think WWI was such a weird war anyways.

Come to think of it, I do vaguely recall some stuff about a lot of the makeshift, ad hoc weapons and protection trench soldiers developed, which included stuff like helmets with chain mail. Stuff that would look totally anachronistic if you didn't know about them.

Well, anyways, to throw in another picture, this isn't exactly real and is pure steampunkish fantasy, but I thought it'd be appropriate in light of my post (it's some art I found ages ago and still find amusing):

That pic is awesome.

But yeah, if you liked that stuff, read the book! There were dozens of armor designs used during the war, usually purchased individually by soldiers. And there was even body armor that was used in the American Civil War- which actually worked- but more on that later. School and sleep and all that interfere with my priorities.:p

Top Bottom