The Community Deity Game #22 - a.k.a. 'The Mayan King'

consentient

Domination!
You all know the score by now. Shouldn't need a fancy introduction. I suspect there won't be too many more of these with the release of Civ 6 only a few weeks away.

Civ = The Maya
VC = Domination or Science
Map = NQ Pangaea, Low Sea Level
Opponents = Random
Difficulty = Hard (I hope)

Achievements = tbc

1. Number of cities

- 1 city = 5 pts
- 2 cities = 4 pts
- 3 cities = 3 pts
- 4-8 cities = 2 pts
- 9 -12 cities = 3 pts
= 13+ cities = 4 pts

2. Population

50-60m = 1 pt
60-70m = 2 pts
70-80m = 3pts
80-100m= 4pts
101m+ = 5 pts

3. Turn of victory (two separate scales)

Dom
- <150 = 5 pts
- 150-200 = 4 pts
- 201-250 = 3 pts
- 251-300 = 2 pts
- 301+ = 1 pt

Sci
- <200 = 5 pts
- 201-230 = 4 pts
- 231-260 = 3 pts
- 261-280 = 2 pts
- 281-300 = 1 pt

4. #Wonders built or captured (1 pt for every 3 built, and for every 5 captured; capped at 5 pts)

5. Style points (two separate scales)

Dom
- Capitals captured before Medieval = 1/8 pt
- Capitals captured before Renaissance = 1/4 pt
- Capitals captured before Industrial = 1/2 pt
- Capitals captured from Modern onwards = 1 pt for each

Sci
Plant X Great Person improvements:
1 point for 3
2 points for 6
3 points for 9
4 points for 12

[For Domination, Achievements 3 and 5 have a kind of inverse relationship, so it's not possible to get maximum points in all categories, but there are more points on offer in 5, so the maximum there is 7. Capturing all capitals in Modern and finishing before T250 allows for 10 points across the two categories.]

Map will be uploaded very shortly.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 3.51.32 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 3.51.32 PM.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 456
  • CDG Maya.Civ5Save
    533.3 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:
Is there no way to make spoilers on this new forum software?

Spoiler :
test

What doesn't work is the VB method of giving the spoiler a name or description. So, in VB's BB Code, you could specify
Spoiler Image of whatever :
and it would display as

Spoiler: Image of whatever [Show]​

For now all you can do are basic spoiler tags -- any description of the spoiler should come on the line above the spoiler tags.

We will be looking at various add-ons for Xenforo, so that may change in the future.

Oh, OK. In that case...

Spoiler about opponents

Spoiler :
They are mean!

You all know the score by now. Shouldn't need a fancy introduction. I suspect there won't be too many more of these with the release of Civ 6 only a few weeks away.

Civ = The Maya
VC = Domination or Science
Map = NQ Pangaea, Low Sea Level
Opponents = Random
Difficulty = Hard (I hope)

Achievements = tbc

1. Number of cities

- 1 city = 5 pts
- 2 cities = 4 pts
- 3 cities = 3 pts
- 4-8 cities = 2 pts
- 9 -12 cities = 3 pts
= 13+ cities = 4 pts

2. Population

50-60m = 1 pt
60-70m = 2 pts
70-80m = 3pts
80-100m= 4pts
101m+ = 5 pts

3. Turn of victory (two separate scales)

Dom
- <150 = 5 pts
- 150-200 = 4 pts
- 201-250 = 3 pts
- 251-300 = 2 pts
- 301+ = 1 pt

Sci
- <200 = 5 pts
- 201-230 = 4 pts
- 231-260 = 3 pts
- 261-280 = 2 pts
- 281-300 = 1 pt

4. #Wonders built or captured (1 pt for every 3 built, and for every 5 captured; capped at 5 pts)

5. Style points (two separate scales)

Dom
- Capitals captured before Medieval = 1/8 pt
- Capitals captured before Renaissance = 1/4 pt
- Capitals captured before Industrial = 1/2 pt
- Capitals captured from Modern onwards = 1 pt for each

Sci
Plant X Great Person improvements:
1 point for 3
2 points for 6
3 points for 9
4 points for 12

[For Domination, Achievements 3 and 5 have a kind of inverse relationship, so it's not possible to get maximum points in all categories, but there are more points on offer in 5, so the maximum there is 7. Capturing all capitals in Modern and finishing before T250 allows for 10 points across the two categories.]

Map will be uploaded very shortly.
Are you guys aware that people now/currently need to sign up and log in to access these saves? Twist my arm...

I'll take the opportunity to thank everyone here for their great work and for making Civ much more enjoyable for a lot of people. As this may well be my last Civ V game I'll make it a good one.

I think it's a good thing people need to sign in. When I was hosting these games 'full time', so to speak, I found it incredibly frustrating that there would be 100s of people downloading, and only 5-10% reporting back.

I've finished my game, winning by Domination. I'm not gonna spoil the party by giving my full details and screenshots just yet. Instead, I'm gonna replay for Science and see what I can do.

Warrior to the hill N, but probably just SIP. Planning on my lazy 4 city Tradition since that is a couple points (I am sorry for not suggesting it be zero). Plant three GS and maybe a GPr for 14 points total. See if I can get a SV before T300.

What is the main idea with Maya, beeline Theology to start the GP counter ASAP, correct?

EDIT: I miss-counted tiles in the opening screen shot. I moved to the hill to catch the sheep in the third ring.

One minor complaint, and one pleasant surprise…
Spoiler :
I won't pick Venice ever. Hat'em.
but the map script does not seem to be precluding Natural Wonders, so that almost makes up for it. :)

Last edited:
Haha I had forgotten ever saying that. They are really annoying, but in this game they didn't cause problems for me in either playthrough. In the first, I took them out (as I had to), and in the second, I paid my friend to do it for me!

I found it incredibly frustrating that there would be 100s of people downloading, and only 5-10% reporting back.

I am one of those. However, to be fair, I was never able to successfully register an account on the previous server setup. I tried at least 4 different email addresses over the years and the site was never able to send me a confirmation email. I wanted so badly to be able to comment on so many conversations. Wow, it was frustrating!

But that seems to be behind us now. Just in time for this community to probably lose the rest of its members! Oh well! I still enjoy Civ 5 a lot and I don't know if this machine will handle 6.

Glad to be able to finally post here. Long time lurker. First time poster.

And I also need to thank Consentient. You, sir, taught me so much about Domination over the last couple of years. Completely changed my playstyle. I used to be fairly conservative and often wasteful. So very wasteful. You showed me how to clean up my play and streamline it towards [hopefully very early!] Domination victories. Kudos and thank you for sticking around. Your absence(s) did not go unnoticed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Turn 133 and I'm tearing through the Renaissance in a self-made OCC. This map was not hard for me at least, I've got them all killing each other for scraps at my table. I couldn't get the images to post in spoiler tags so don't click the images if you don't want to see.

I'm at a bit of a crossroads though, my game falls apart from ren-era forward because I get impatient and start messing around and going into auto-pilot. If I can keep pushing forward like I am, I'll have launched by turn 200-250. If I do things as usual, I will probably be eaten by one of these AI's. If anyone wants to give me some advice on how to not mess up this amazing start I have accomplished so far, I am all ears.

Attachments

• 20161006050338_1.jpg
    20161006050338_1.jpg
    772.7 KB · Views: 243
  • 20161006050348_1.jpg
    20161006050348_1.jpg
    804.1 KB · Views: 252
  • 20161006050410_1.jpg
    20161006050410_1.jpg
    391.3 KB · Views: 201
  • 20161006050422_1.jpg
    20161006050422_1.jpg
    698.2 KB · Views: 229
  • 20161006050446_1.jpg
    20161006050446_1.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 225
  • 20161006050510_1.jpg
    20161006050510_1.jpg
    704.7 KB · Views: 193
OK so in my science replay, I've hit the beaker wall a bit. I guess three cities is always a fair bit lower than 4 or more, but I suspect I've also made some booboos with my GP generation and bulbs. Maybe I'm out of practice. It's T200 and I'm probably 20 or 30 turns away AT LEAST. Also, no one wants to be my friend anymore cuz of ideology, so gold is a bit scarce. I'm tempted to take a DiploV and just chalk this one up and write it off as a failed attempt at a sub-T200, which is what it is, really. I did so well up to Ideologies.

Also, a question for the maths people, is there a danger in making too much culture? I feel like taking World Church and working to get 40+ cities following my religion has been great, but what if I had taken Tithe instead? Hmmm.

Anyway, I'll write up the SV/DiploV and my initial, map-unseen DomV when I'm finished with the current game.

Also, a question for the maths people, is there a danger in making too much culture? I feel like taking World Church and working to get 40+ cities following my religion has been great, but what if I had taken Tithe instead? Hmmm.

I don't think this is a question of "a danger in making too much culture," but rather about the trade off between a culture boost vs alternatives, taking into account the diminishing returns of culture beyond 'x' key policies. If culture is usually a limiting factor in your (SV?) game, then give it a shot. Otherwise, gold or faith (plant prophets, aim to faith purchase more GS/GE) would have a greater impact.

I went for World Church because I thought Culture could be an issue, having only 3 cities, compared to 4-6 which is normal. I wanted a really fast SV and didn't know if I would have enough without World Church to get through Rationalism, and Mercantilism and Freedom. I had enough faith to buy 2 GS but am not sure where I went wrong. Anyway, I'm gonna get it finished and then analyse it properly.

EDIT: T217 Rage quit

Can't get BPT over 1200, even with 3 massive cities. Eastern neighbour (massive runaway who ate 3 civs) decides to DoW. I can hold him off but honestly, I cba to hang on for a mediocre finish when I had such a good start.

I'll just report the first game, which ironically was wonderful

T221 Domination

Spoiler :
After seeing the neighbours I beelined Construction and Horseback Riding, while still putting in good preparations for a nice early NC. The best gift I was handed was Attila sending out FOUR caravans unprotected. I think this had to mean that after I pillaged the first one, he just kept building it again. This gold allowed me to rush buy my 2nd Settler. All cities were settled nice and early, and some trades helped me get early Libraries for a T77 NC.

About the same time, I turned the tide against the HAs and ignored the useless Rams and took Attila's capital and razed 2 of his cities.

Then I moved troops to Western border in case Monty was fibbing with his DoF.

XBs took his two biggest cities and soaked up XP while I waited for Cannons to come online to take Paris after taking 2 other French cities. I got to Dynamite T157 which helped me cream through Zulu lands and they only really needed assistance from bombers against the last 2 opponents.

= Tradition - Commerce - Autocracy
= Sun God (natch), 3rd religion (in this game the AI didn't seem all that interested), Tithe, Pagodas
= Yet again I am convinced that if Shaka is in the game, the priority must be to take him out ASAP or make him your best friend until you're much stronger than him.

Achievements for Domination

Spoiler :

A. Cities = 23 = 5 pts
B. Pop = 86m = 4 pts
C. Turn = 221 = 3 pts
D. Wonders built or cap = 5 pts

(24 captured. Built = HG, Oracle, Haghia, Machu, PT, Big Ben, LtoP, Red Fort)

E. Cities cap

before Med = 1 = Attila’s Court

Before Ren = 1 = Tenochtitlan

Before Ind = 1 = Paris

Modern, after, 4 = ulundi, bejing, venice, stockholm

1/8 + 2/8 + 4/8 + 4 = 4 7/8 pts

total = 5 + 4 + 3 + 5 + 4 7/8 = 21 7/8 pts

Attachments

• maya 4.jpg
    maya 4.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 246
  • maya 1.jpg
    maya 1.jpg
    494.9 KB · Views: 225
  • maya 2.jpg
    maya 2.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 250
  • maya 3.jpg
    maya 3.jpg
    546.6 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
I went for World Church because I thought Culture could be an issue, having only 3 cities, compared to 4-6 which is normal. I wanted a really fast SV and didn't know if I would have enough without World Church to get through Rationalism, and Mercantilism and Freedom. I had enough faith to buy 2 GS but am not sure where I went wrong. Anyway, I'm gonna get it finished and then analyse it properly.

Expos seldom contribute much culture; it mainly comes from CS, guilds, wonders (usually in capital), and maximizing benefits from winning Worlds Fair.
Did you start 'saving' faith before you hit Industrial? Did you plant any prophets?
How many free social policies did you get (i.e. Ideology first, Oracle and other wonders)?

I am enjoying this map, but really struggling. I have figured out that Atlatlist instead of scouts is very nice. First time I finally managed to survive to the end, an AI launched on T301 (I was still about a dozen turns out), so I think I need to figure out how to squeeze out a dom vc.

With opponents like these, diplo is the key to a good DomV, as well as the usual beelining and economy.

I just crossed turn 200 and Monty and Shaka double DOWed me. I am 10 turns from plastics and have foreign legions surrounding my capital and their troops are dying against my gatling guns and landsknechts at the moment while the capital pumps out GWI's. Still OCC, but only 300 bpt or so. Not sure how this will play out, or where I went wrong this time. I was way over the unit cap when I landed the legions and after losing the great writers and musicians. Maybe this map was just no good for OCC? I had to reload because it wouldn't let me rush buy a factory to get my ideology since OCC was not actually checked.

I'm not surprised I was double-DOWed, just surprised at how well my diplomacy shenanigans actually worked. For 200 turns I kept every single country at war with multiple people the entire game. I DOWed Shaka and Attila and stole 3 workers from them. Didn't even have to waste my time with a city state DOW. I have 5 wonders so far too. I should probably just switch to domination now since Artillery and flight are within bulbing range. My original estimate was way off for OCC science victory, I think I'll be at this another 100 turns or more, only at pop 28 at turn 200 and no city state allies anymore as I used all my gold to get wars started.

I opened with scout, monument, pyramid, bought scout, atlatist x3, granary somewhere in there, more atlatists, can't remember the rest. Took full tradition, commerce to mercantilism. Maybe I will reload and push to an early artillary and crush out the rest? Stupid OCC.

OCC is hard on most maps, so I wouldn't feel bad. Diplomacy becomes even more important. You HAVE to build as many troops as you can in case someone has a go. One of your screenshots showed you making missionaries, so I assume you tried to spread your religion, which is good. In my 2nd game, although my science stalled, I converted ALL of Monty and Shaka's and Attila's cities. That helps a lot.

OCC is hard on most maps, so I wouldn't feel bad. Diplomacy becomes even more important. You HAVE to build as many troops as you can in case someone has a go. One of your screenshots showed you making missionaries, so I assume you tried to spread your religion, which is good. In my 2nd game, although my science stalled, I converted ALL of Monty and Shaka's and Attila's cities. That helps a lot.

I forgot about that. I did get quite a lot of missionaries but I put that to the backburner to focus on growth and techs. I'm actually worse off than I thought though now that I booted it back up. One of these AI's are gonna launch before me, because I doubt I'll be able to get all the techs in a timely manner. With one of my academies destroyed I'm at less than 250 beakers per turn. I had to bulb a few great scientists early to get dynamite and flight caught up too. Gonna keep pushing though I give up on too many games, I'll find a way to win by any means necessary with zero points if I have to!

EDIT: Turn 335 loss

I kicked everyone out and got back into gear and was about 15 turns away from getting two more scientists to bulb to victory when Wu launched on me. She launched while at war with everyone but me, me and her were the lone freedom fighters on this map and no one stood a chance. Oh well, gg, better luck next time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom