[BNW] The Community Deity Game #23 - HALLOWEEN SPECIAL - The Iroquois

consentient

Domination!
OK so there are a bunch of reasons why this round is hard, and likely to pose a considerable challenge for any good player.

1. You are the Iroquois, who are pretty crap. I rate them as worse than a 'neutral civ' because the loss of workshops is NOT made up for by the UU or the silly forest road UA.

2. The AIs are hand-picked as some of the best leaders in the game. They have a good shot of winning before you do.

3. I gave the AIs each a decent advantage over their starting position.

4. It's a Large map, Standard speed, which makes the game that bit harder.​

You can win by any VC but I suggest the most fun would be Domination or Culture, as these will be the hardest. By all means if you can get a Diplo or Science win, that will be accepted as a win on this map.

The deadline for finishing this challenge and scoring achievement points is October 31st (Halloween). This gives you just over 2 weeks. GOOD LUCK!!!!!

I HOPE it's the toughest map I've ever made.

Achievements:-
Spoiler :

A - Triumph of the Underdog

- WIN by Domination = 5 pts
- WIN by Culture = 4 pts
- WIN by Science = 3 pts
- WIN by Diplomacy = 2 pts

B - Foreign Relations (score for all that apply)

- Maintain a DoF from before T100 through to T300* = 1 pt
- Get denounced by 6 or more civs before T150 = 1 pt
- Get DoW'ed by 6 or more civs before T150 = 1 pt
- (Requires * above), and then betray that friend by DoW-ing them and conquering a city or cities of at least 15 pop (when you capture) = 1 pt
- Adopt an AI's religion in all your cities = 1 pt

C. Mohawk culture (score for all that apply)

- Open and complete the Honor tree before dipping into any other tree = 3 pts
- Complete an Ideology tree = 2 pts

D. Mohawk supremacy

1 pt for each upgraded Mohawk Warrior surviving at the end of the game, who has acquired so many promotions he cannot earn any more! (maximum of 5 points)

E. Civilizational purity

Bonus 5 points if you win the game 'KB27787 style', which means NO bulbs, and NO bribes (No putting 'Declare war' on either side of the trading screen). Bonus 3 points if you bulb but no bribe. Bonus 1 point if your bribe but no bulb.

Advice:
Spoiler :

1. Go on the offensive, even if you want to later win peacefully. If you try to do a 4 city Tradition empire against ones that might end up with 50-100 or more cities, I think you'll do poorly.

2. The windows for Crossbows and Artillery may be quite short, so don't get too ambitious with your sweeps. I'd keep each 'push' to around 20 turns or less, and then regroup and try to tech towards something else.

3. On this map, I'd probably go Sci Theory before Dynamite just cuz I'm not sure the map can be cleared before Modern. I could be wrong.

- NQ Oval, extra starting unit, no natural wonders, all other settings normal

Apologies but I can't get the screenshot to work for some reason. I will try again later.

Attachments

• CDG Iroquois.Civ5Save
    780.7 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
Thanks, looks like fun! I am still trying to get a Dom VC off the China map.

My first try for this will be 4-city turtle Tradition looking to SV. Helps me get a sense for the map!

(Requires * above), and then betray that friend by DoW-ing them and conquering a city or cities of at least 15 pop (when you capture)
Is it permissible to wait for the last DOF to expire before DOWing?

Apologies but I can't get the screenshot to work for some reason. I will try again later.
If your are still using a Mac, you can drag-and-drop onto the “choose file” button.

No, it's not permissible to wait. You must backstab him!

As for the screenshot issue, I'm not sure what's causing it. I know all the normal methods, but for some reason right now they are generating blank black empty pictures. I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out soon!

Save seems to be T1 not T0.
I moved 1 hex E because I was not going to waste a forest.

EDIT: 1st game lost cap T95.
2nd game, thought I was being so much more clever, lost cap T52.

Last edited:
Save seems to be T1 not T0.
I moved 1 hex E because I was not going to waste a forest.

EDIT: 1st game lost cap T95.
2nd game, thought I was being so much more clever, lost cap T52.
I read this, freaked out, and built a ton of units only to realize this is yet another game where you can coast through without ever building a single unit and just bribing the AI's against each other. I am 142 turns in and friends with every AI. I think I should replay and just go for the usual 4-city Tradition no-units game.

Save is T1 because the AI have to settle cities before I could give them their advantages. So I skipped T0, waited for the AI to settle their caps, and gave them all a nice gift.

In my own game, I'm concentrating on building DoF with my favourite leader in the game. Surprisingly, both of the two central civs really like me and the most SE too. My immediate neighbours don't like me cuz of worker steals, but they were always gonna be my first victims anyway. My Mohawks are collecting promotions quite well. I hope they will be able to fulfil that achievement!

I am re-playing the game without building a single unit aside from the starting warriors and 3 scouts. Much better.

Won on t234 with Diplo. Turned the northern runaway neighbor into my advantage for the entire game. He did all the dirty work to keep the rest down. :lol: And another friend loaned me 10k gold.

I think this will be the last map I play before civ6. Unmodded civ5 is too predictable and boring at this point.

Untitled.png

I am re-playing the game without building a single unit aside from the starting warriors and 3 scouts. Much better.
LOL, that was my first play attempt. I could not bribe away the trouble maker for the life of me. And he was forward settling me too.

Third game I settled 2 hexes W instead of 1 hex E. I immediately sent my starting warriors straight in the direction of the trouble-maker, took a worker, and griefed him until his 2nd UU showed up. I got several fewer ruins, but it was worth it.

He did not encroach until much later, and I was able to correct my borders with a GG. Hopefully that game will be my usual lazy SV. Also, I get early DOW’d by the neighbors W and SE, but those I can handle because I have CBs by then.

Last edited:
I've played almost all day today (judge me as sad if you want), and although it has been extremely challenging, I'm in a pretty good position, and the time is fast approaching when I'm ready to backstab and DoW my good friend, who it seems has been branded a troublemaker by others. But in my game, I did everything possible to make him like me, and we've been buddies for over 200 turns. I don't think I'll make it past T300 though. That would probably give him too much of an advantage. He already controls half the world!

LOL, that was my first play attempt. I could not bribe away the trouble maker for the life of me. And he was forward settling me too.
With the way AI's are expanding in this game, you basically have to check every turn if they are willing to fight each other. I also expanded south->west->east, so maybe that helped too.

Civ to NW launched on T282. I was on track myself to win by T300, but only just barely. I could have done more to keep him at war, but I do not think I will be replaying this.
I missed Porcelain Tower by a wide margin. I got Hubble, but it was not enough. Also Kremlin, and Disney of course.

Update:

T240ish

Spoiler :
I am slowly getting through Alex's cities, but happiness is now a huge issue and slowing me down. It's very difficult to deal with Barbarian X-COMs dropping every few turns, so I've had to slow down a lot. I had originally gone Autocracy as it has the most happiness, but was forced to change to Order even before starting to attack Alex. I get a free Courthouse, but Alex's cities are huge and there are more than 30 of them! Of course, his capital is near the middle of the blob. I'm hoping I can win before he gets nukes and other horrible stuff. I've never fought with this kind of late-game tech and found it so hard going: GDRs and Stealth Bombers are nice when you've beelined them and you're going up against weakish cities, but Alex's are all well over 100 strength and surrounded by an army more than twice the size of mine!

I will press on!

Update: T252 Domination

Full write-up to follow in the next few days, plus a LOT of screenshots. I want to be as detailed as possible because I think this was possibly my best play ever.

Last edited:
Top Bottom