The Community Deity Game #3 - Ethiopia

Turn 295 Cultural Victory
Achievement 2(bought 3 GMs)

CDG3Ethiopia.jpg

Picture2.jpg

Picture3.jpg

Spoiler :
Hmm had a very tough game mainly due to CV at deity being a bit of a challenge for me. Also Inca and America becoming cultural runaways did not help.

A lot of sloppy mistakes and bad luck prevailed in the game. I missed Oracle by a few turns and also missed both SC and Uffizi. Inca winning WF did not help and should have restarted the map probably after seeing his 15k culture at t160. However I was too lazy to again play it. Also made a mistake of sitting with gold when Cultural CS should have been allied with.

Tech wise I did fine and reached Internet at t228. However I had abysmal tourism as Theo took nearly all artifacts and I had given her Open borders:p(she reached archi at t155ish). Also hostile China,America and Inca did not help. I was forced into a 32 turn war with America. Only after I peaced out and got the nuke did he become afraid enough to give me open borders. So decided to sell one city to Inca(who got a rev. very end) and one to America to GM bomb them. :)

Wonders I manged to get at the end were LToP,GT(kind of forced to choose it as all other wonders were gone),PT,ET,Hubble,CN,Firewall,Pentagon.(the game became a drag due to the hostile cultural runaways being at war with me,so I decided to wonder spam at the end)
SP was Full Trad-Full Rati-Full Aest-6 Order.

I was wondering how many Archaeologists and how many theming bonuses are required to get above 600 tpt with Internet/hotels? In my game I got only 415 tpt which slowed me down in the win time.

T166 not Resign

Spoiler :
Rome looked strong early so I bribed him into a few wars. Unfortunately he won every single one and had half the map, hit ideologies at t150, is 12% ahead on tech, is the culture leader, and has cavalry.
This is unwinnable by culture, obviously I can't fight him.

DiploV and ScienceV are possible still, but that's not the point of this challenge. I'll try to slog it out CV.

It is always possible to win CV first by killing all culture opponents. No AI can tech better than humans after modern era.

AI's estimation of military power is way off. In order to beat a modern era AI, all you need is some form of air defense and (rocket) artillery. AI overestimates obsolete units and melee. This setup is good enough to beat AI even if they're in information era, as long as you have some form of submarine detection.

Spoiler :
Luckily, Rome just capped The cultural leader Holland's cap. I also have all the cultural city states so maybe peaceful CV is still possible.

Well it is possible, you just need to up your tourism by a monster lot and bomb them with all musicians you can spare. Folks overcame north of 100k of culture, so it may still be an option

Turn 230. Plastics just completed. Still at less than 30 Tourism. 8 city liberty is taking ages to build stuff, and forgoing rationalism for Piety/Exploration didn't help. As far as I can tell Rome is still 15% ahead of me in tech and is one of the cultural leaders. Hotels won't be online for another 20 turns at least.

Pretty sure your tourism is too low for it to ever matter if you're that much behind, you will have to conquer him. Peaceful CV requires tech advantage by Renaissance. So going for the achievements basically leaves you with a suboptimal game. Actually I don't even think it is possible to go peaceful while doing most of the achievements on this map, it is too difficult to convert AI cities without killing AI.

Pretty sure your tourism is too low for it to ever matter if you're that much behind, you will have to conquer him. Peaceful CV requires tech advantage by Renaissance. So going for the achievements basically leaves you with a suboptimal game. Actually I don't even think it is possible to go peaceful while doing most of the achievements on this map, it is too difficult to convert AI cities without killing AI.

How do you conquer a Deity AI who built SS Booster on Turn 241?
Edit: Lost WF T261. Resign. I may try again with a tradition build and not messing around.

Edit: Attempt 2. China came with a carpet and killed me around turn 80. Really?

What are the benchmarks for key techs for peaceful CV?

I hit Internet at ~T250 -- but that was not good enough. Should that have been okay?
Gobbledydood mentions Plastics at T230. Is that fast enough?

How about some earlier techs? I think I need to hone my earlier game.

Internet at around 250 is not entirely bad. You can always do better but it's not bad, you need to follow up with a quick NVC and get those musicians at the ready

What are the benchmarks for key techs for peaceful CV?

I hit Internet at ~T250 -- but that was not good enough. Should that have been okay?
Gobbledydood mentions Plastics at T230. Is that fast enough?

How about some earlier techs? I think I need to hone my earlier game.

Plastics at T230 is about 30 turns too late. I did lose horribly.

...you need to follow up with a quick NVC and get those musicians at the ready
I did build NVC and Musicians Guild very quickly after that. It just did not matter, I still needed ~50 turns which I did not have. Control over IG timing (and the win) I think could have made the difference, but I was not close to achieving that. CV is hard!

I can only guess that my best hope is to buff my early game more, as I am pretty sure I did not get to Education terribly early and that I missed Sistine Chapel.

Not necessarily, I generally can spare enough policies use the Ratio finisher somewhere along the way, start bulbing once the science is good and immediately double back to Radar after Internet. It gets me around 400 base tourism and Airports up it to around 500 which is usually more than enough to win

How do you conquer a Deity AI who built SS Booster on Turn 241?
Edit: Lost WF T261. Resign. I may try again with a tradition build and not messing around.

Edit: Attempt 2. China came with a carpet and killed me around turn 80. Really?

If I remember this map correctly, you'll have to bribe AI to war early on to try to slow down their tech. It should be pretty easy with the ones to your SW. Doing so also prevent them from massing a carpet and killing you. When AI is busy warring, they can't focus on building science and will tech slower. That gives you a wider window to prepare for attack. In my game it was also impossible to win without killing Rome as they were also going for science and got key wonders in my game, but at least the many wars slowed them down and I was able to conquer them in time. You will have to compare AI's culture to your tourism, if they're high you'll have to kill science runaways before you have a chance to win. Also doing so will also get your wonders/artifacts which will add to your own tourism. I suggest you try to focus on domination assisted CV before you try a peaceful CV on this map if you're having difficulty. Remember it is very easy to conquer AI using artillery if you get to it early enough. After that get air defense ASAP before AI get to flight/radar. Of course if you don't mess around with piety or achievements you can basically have a much easier time and probably peaceful is possible.

Ok, I've concluded that expanding south at all is asking to get carpeted around turn 70. The alternative is to bribe for basically all my gold, which isn't ideal either.

The barbarians are the worst. I'm done with this map. I can't see why this is labelled 'Easy'. I had a better time with the 'Hard' Persia map...

Tried again with 4 city tradition peaceful. Turn 270, I have all Tourism techs and America still has enough culture per turn to stop 400 TPT. He also won IG with 3600 hammers lol. Resign (again).

If I remember this map correctly, you'll have to bribe AI to war early on to try to slow down their tech. It should be pretty easy with the ones to your SW. Doing so also prevent them from massing a carpet and killing you. When AI is busy warring, they can't focus on building science and will tech slower. That gives you a wider window to prepare for attack. In my game it was also impossible to win without killing Rome as they were also going for science and got key wonders in my game, but at least the many wars slowed them down and I was able to conquer them in time. You will have to compare AI's culture to your tourism, if they're high you'll have to kill science runaways before you have a chance to win. Also doing so will also get your wonders/artifacts which will add to your own tourism. I suggest you try to focus on domination assisted CV before you try a peaceful CV on this map if you're having difficulty. Remember it is very easy to conquer AI using artillery if you get to it early enough. After that get air defense ASAP before AI get to flight/radar. Of course if you don't mess around with piety or achievements you can basically have a much easier time and probably peaceful is possible.

Are triplanes or anti air guns better anti-air?

Top Bottom