The Great City of Gorina

"Ah, DZ. Aureus, tomorrow? Hmmm. I think not. Tomorrow I will be concerned with the placement of The Camaelot Award. This one is a lot bigger than the first. I'm thinking of placing it in the courtyard of the University. Kind of an inspiration for our students, if you know what I mean.

"Also, we'll have the change over for the Wonder taking place and I should be around to help Rik Meleet.

"But be sure to congratulate Inter32 for me on achieving the UN Wonder, and if you see Governor Noldodan, tell him I think he's doing a fine job as Gov.

"I've got a seat reserved for you at lift-off, so don't spend too much time up there. Safe travels and good luck!"

Not to worry, Cyc. Knowing full well your duty to be here for the refitting of the SETI building, it was foolish of me to even ask. I will pass on your kind words to the good men in Aventine, and will make sure that I am back in time for the grand opening of the Apollo Center. Thanks once again everything, and take good care of yourself.

With that, Donovan Zoi embraced his good friend and turned toward the waiting limousine. It seems that the brass in Noshuret did not want a repeat of that incognito train stunt. Before stepping into the car, he turned back to Cyc.

Hey, by the way, I just got a hold of my office staff for the first time since I got back. They said the Persian rug you sent looks really nice in the rec room! :D I can't wait to see it. I'm sorry I didn't bring back anything from Japan. I'm sure you understand.

Donovan gave one final wave and stepped into the limo. He had really enjoyed his time in his hometown and couldn't wait to come back in a few days.

Octavian had left the parties early that night. Though he enjoyed chatting with old friends of the great days of old, he was advanced in his years, and couldn't stay up as late as he could before. He still remembered all-night sessions of negotiating trades with foreigners of all sorts.

He managed to catch up to Cyc one last time, at Gorina City Hall. In the massive interior of the grandiose old building that was once the bascillica of the ancient Faantican Forum orgininally established when the city was founded, the Camelot Award stood proudly displayed.

It was here were he informed Cyc of his plans. "I've already arranged a small, seaside cabin for my use in Regia Doughnutia." That town had been one he, as Trade Minister, established to claim spices for Fanatica. It held special significance for him. "I'm going to make one last stop to my residence in Noshuret to set my affairs there in order. Following that, my plan is to make my way to the cabin, settle down, and write a book of my Fanatican experiences."

Cyc wished him well, and Octavian left, to hopefully spend the last days of his life in seaside bliss.

The work of clearing away the festive detritus from the scene of the week's events had carried on well into the day, but was finally winding down with only a smattering of litter and a very few pieces of equipment to be taken away. As the last few workers roamed the grounds carrying out these tasks, a figure shrouded in what appeared to be the traditional garb of one of the old Fanatican patrician houses wove his way between them. Occasionally one would pause in his work to glance up at the interloper, before coming to the obvious conclusion that it was merely one of the previous night's performers come to fetch some forgotten item and, thus satisfied in his curiosity, returning to his labours.
Yet had anyone subjected the toga-clad apparition to closer scrutiny they would have noted that he - for a man it surely was - did not appear to be searching for anything but instead was heading purposefully, if perhaps a trifle unsteadily, for the plinth upon which the towering Camelot Award still rested. Upon finally reaching this destination, he reached deep into his robe and produced a small object which he proceded to place at the foot of the statue, propped up against the tip of the great knight's blade. This done, he turned upon his heel and left the same way he came towards the city gate.

Later that day, Cyc ventured out to admire, for the umpteenth time, the award which had been bestowed upon the city to which he had given his life. As he gazed, the glint of something foreign at the knight's feet caught his eye and he strolled over to take a look. On closer investigation, the offending item turned out to be a gilded envelope bearing the legend "for Cyc", written in what seemed to him a curiously familiar hand. Seeing no harm in doing so, he carefully prised the missive open and began to read the message contained within:

Dear Cyc,

It was with deep regret that I found myself unable to attend the celebrations for the dedication of this great, impressive and well deserved award. There was once a time when wild horses could not have prevented me from showing up at such a glorious event, but now I am grown old & weary and less enamoured of the crowds and excitement that are part and parcel of these affairs.

Nevertheless I cannot quite bring myself to allow the honouring of Fanatica's greatest city, within which I have in the past spent many enjoyable times, to pass unremarked. I am now so out of touch with the nation's affairs that I could not tell you with any certainty which of her fine cities now holds the enviable status of Capital, but I can still say with absolute conviction that Gorina is - and will always be - her heart, the source of her strength and her cultural epicentre. The wealth of Gorina's heritage is marvelled at by the peoples of all the foreign powers, with only a very few other metropoli able to boast a comparable history. To my eyes though, even those great and legendary conurbations fall short of the benchmark set by this city and its people. Since my retirement from public life I have travelled much and visited all these pretenders to the throne, but for all their pomp and monolithic architecture they do not have the warmth and sense of cameraderie that one finds among the Gorinans. That, I feel, is the secret of our success and the prime reason that we shall triumph over any & all adversity to lead our neighbours into the future.

Anyhow, I think that's quite enough rambling on my part. It remains only for me to say that I wish you, Gorina and all of Fanatica well, and look forward to hearing of any further great achievements of which you care to keep me appraised.

Your old comrade-in-arms,

~Eklektikos

During Sunday brunch Cyc watched Donoavn Zoi on the big screen TV of the Apollo Cafe as DZ addressed the locals on his current approach their Wonder situation. It seemed to be going well.

It had been a busy morning. Coordinating the change over of the SETI Wonder to the Apollo Program with Rik Meleet took extensive communications and planning. The transformation went off without a hitch and immediately upon completion of the small Wonder, production began on the first Spaceship part. As word spread throughout Fanaitica, other cities commenced production of varies parts, according to plan. Rik, who sat across the table from Cyc, seemed a little weary as he chomped down on his "Fanatican Rueben" sandwhich. Raising his glass to Cyc, he toasted, "To a job well done", to which his friend reciprocated.

Cyc had found time to accomplish two goals directed towards Octavian X. First he put forward a request to have the body of water off the shoreline off Regia Doughnutia restocked with all the type fish indiginess to the area. Second, he had a dozen doughnuts sent to Oct's cabin with a note that said, When I went for my check-up for the journey into space, the doctor told me that if I would only give up eating doughnuts, I would live two years longer. I said 'Doc, get serious, with my plan I get to eat doughnuts until I die, with your plan, it's just another two years without doughnuts.' - Enjoy

At the afternoon press conference, Cyc followed up Rik Meleet's report with a few words about the lift-off. He concluded, "...In the words of FortyJ, '...Gorina is now poised to lead us into the heavens themselves.' Thank you FortyJ, truer words were never spoken." He then fired off an email to the former President asking him to renew his political career, as the people needed his vision and foresight to forge ahead.

Cyc returns the message to the envelope, twirls it in his fingers and takes a moment to remember his old friend. Not only was he one of the most well-spoken gentleman of our day, but had proven his worth many times over in past governments.

He realized Eklektikos' words must be true, as the manner in which he delivered his message was telling of his sincerity. Wishing that he could have caught him red-handed in his placing of the message, Cyc returns to his laptop, to fire off an email to this old friend.

Eklektikos,
Just fair warning, I have put out an all points bulletin for a man matching your description on the charge terrorist activity. Shoot on sight were the orders...

Just kidding. Thanks for hanging around for a cup of tea. :) The awards ceremony was a blast. I'm sorry you missed it. Better luck next time. One of the major items worked out during the long celebration was the target Wonder for a forced production change. I'm not sure if you're aware of it or not because of your busy schedule, but Gorina has completed the Apollo Program instead of the SETI Program. Production is moving along swiftly on Spaceship parts and completion is drawing near. I would be honored if you would accompany our group in our journey to Alpha Centauri. A new world awaits. Let me know and I'll reserve your chair. As always, your servant,

Cyc

After the ceremonies and the personal time Rik spend with Cyc he took a long walk in the city of Gorina. It had been a while since he was able to do that. He walked his traditional routes and got lost several times; the city had filled up many open spaces that existed in the days Rik ws just deputy mayor.

Luckily many Gorinians still remembered him. The ones who knew him from his deputy time all stopped him to chat and talk with him, the younger generation knew his face from the television as Domestic Leader and nearly all had seen and heard him when he unveiled the Camelot award.

Although everyone knew the way around the city, few were eager to give directions straight away, they first wanted to congratulate him on his career, thank him for the award, question him on Domestic's view on the Space Race and what it means to the ordinary citizen and just chat with him. Although this wasn't what Rik had planned for the day (there was a meeting scheduled with his assistants and the Governors for the next TC) he felt the heartwarming feelings and attitude that was so specific about Gorinians. He decided the meeting could wait.

The Gorinians fired many questions at him and he continously found himself repeating the answers. "My friends ! I promiss you that no-one will be left behind". "Yes, even the very old citizens; they have given their sweat, blood and tears for Fanatica and Gorina; they deserve a seat". "No, the're will be no special department for our dead citizens". "Yes, small pets like cats and dogs are allowed, your pet-elephant can't come with us". "If you have registered your savings in gold with the Domestic Savings Office you will receive the same amount of valuables when we arrive on Alpha Centauri. You can't bring your gold".

He passed the place where once was the muddy Donsig-avenue and saw a beautiful boulevard with many awe-striking majestic buildings and in between beautiful Gorina houses and those tiny shops that gave this avenue it's specific homely feeling. He had a coffee in a nearby tiny cafe when he bumbed into Gladiatus, had a quick chat with the old and wrinkled, but still vivid Shaitan, greeted Eklektikos who was on his way to the Gorina-playground with his grandchildren (at least Rik interpreted the small children looking like Eklektikos and calling him Grandpa to be just that) and generally had a calm and very nice day. It's been a while since he had such a pleasant day here.

Suddenly his mobile phone went.

"Hello, this is Domestic Leader Meleet".
"Rik, come over for dinner" he heard someone say in Cyc's voice, "In the Sistine-restaurant, I expect you in an hour. Wear leisurely clothes and bring Mrs Meleet".
"We'll be there, but can you tell me where it is ? I'm kinda lost!".
"Where are you now ?" Cyc replied.
"I think this is Donsig avenue, but I'm not sure. Everything is changed a lot. I'm in front of a shop called 'Souvenirs-R-us' and across the street is a fountain shaped like the Theory of Evolution, but much smaller".
"Ok, stay there, a limo will arrive shortly. It'll take you to your hotel and in 45 minutes will take you and Mrs Meleet to the Sistine-restaurant. I'll be waiting there".
"OK, see you in an hour!".

When Rik ended the call he heard the distinctive hum of a limo-engine moving up the Donsig-avenue traffic. "I do feel hungry, still always the perfect host, my old friend Cyc !"

One Hour Later ~

As the limo pulled up in front of the restaurant, the evening sun was setting softly on the Gorina Hills. It was quite a backdrop for this part of town. As usual, when you say leisurely to Rik Meleet and wife, they hear semi-formal and dress that way. Looking prim and proper, they entered the lobby and told the maitre d' to take them to the Mayor's table. There they found Cyc with his other guest, Gladiatus.

"Welcome, you two", says Cyc as he rises to give RM a handshake and his wife a kiss and a hug. "Please, join us."

All during the lavish dinner, RM searched the eyes of Gladiatus and Cyc both for a clue as to the reason for their meeting here tonight, but to no avail. What we all got were colorful stories from Gladiatus about his youth and his school days. All in all it was a good dinner, one to mark the last week on the planet. Cyc had even talked Mrs. Meleet into ordering dessert. By this time the Domestic Minister was getting fidgety.

"So, Cyc tell me of the reason for this evening's meeting. I sense another reason than just a last supper before lift-off. Please, clue me in for heaven's sake."

Cyc looked at Gladiatus and smiled, "Well I guess I'd better tell him, before he crucifies me." Cyc turns to the couple, "It has been revealed to me that Gladiatus is a rather religious man at heart. For the seemingly life-long friendship we've had, I thought I'd give him one last earthly gift. It seems all the years he's lived here in Gorina, Gladiatus has never had an audience with the Pope, which for a man of his position and faith, should not be. Therfore, I have arranged such an audience with the Pope through a connection I have. As his Holiness will not be joining us on our trip to Alpha Centauri, the Vatican schedule was not as crowded as the rest of ours. Although the Vatican has been having security problems of late, I believe they're blaming the Babylonians, I've secured an audience for tomorrow.

"I've gotten permission to bring you both along, if you'd like to join us. You can bring Secret Service with you, but they'll have to wait in the hall. If you've got the time, it should be a memorable experience."

The couple just looked at Cyc and then at Gladiatus, who was silently nodding yes, and then back at Cyc. They seemed to have words stuck in their throats like The Pope?! and Of course. "Splendid", Cyc breaks the silence. "We can discuss the details later. Glass of wine, anyone?"

The golden gates to the Vatican compound towered before him. The moonlight overhead struck the gates in such a fashion as to give the appearance of water falling, as if the gates themselves were weaping over the looming departure of those she has protected for oh so many centuries. Although the pope himself had planned on staying behind, several cardinals and other important residents of the Vatican were heading off to the heavens along with many of the citizens of Fanatika. FortyJ had come to bid farewell.

Shrouded in his traveling coat, he approached the gates, moving gracefully over the remarkably clean street. Upon reaching the gates, he turned to look back at the nearly empty street behind him, confirming what his subconscious had already told him; the street was quite clean. Amazing how even on the verge of departure for the heavens, the city they are about to leave still shines with pride and beauty.

"You there!" came the shout from behind the gate. "Move along vermin. No loitering in front of these gates."

FortyJ turned to confront the brash guard - a new recruit by the looks of him - but before he could utter a sound, the guard continued, "You deaf buddy? I said, move along!" His tone elevating, the guard moved toward the gate assertively.

FortyJ backed away from the gate, raising his arms to reveal no weapon or harmful intent. "Friend, I have no quarrel with you, but I must gain entry, for I have business within."

"You've got no business here, bud. Do you know what time it is?" fired back the guard.

Off to the side, apparently aroused by the commotion at the gate, another guard - this one a captain - emerged from the gatehouse located just inside the main gate. "What's going on...." his voice trailed off.

The captain, whose face clearly revealed a great degree of disgust and annoyance at being dragged away from whatever had been occupying his attention, almost didn't recognize FortyJ in the darkness. Suddenly, his expression changed. "Shut up Jackson. Open that gate and don't say another word." he barked at the brash recruit.

Turning back to FortyJ, the captain quietly snapped to attention. "Apologies, my Lord. We didn't recognize you in the dark."

"No apologies necessary, Captain," responded FortyJ as he slipped through the golden gates. "My visit was most unexpected and the timing of my arrival, unfortunate."

The gate clanged shut, and Corporal Jackson turned to return to his post opposite the gate house. The Captain, as if suddenly remembering something, summoned him over. "Jackson, go wake the Quartermaster. Tell him that Sir FortyJ has returned and then provide any assistance in preparing his personal quarters. Hurry now. Go!"

Jackson shot a most quizzical look at FortyJ and then back at the captain before darting off into the distance. The Captain then turned his attention back to FortyJ. "Is there anything I can do for you while they make arrangements for your stay, my Lord?"

FortyJ smiled briefly. There really was no need to send the lad away, but FortyJ knew what the Captain was up to - keeping the kid here would only serve to embarass him - and there was no need to do that. He was probably plenty embarassed already, and if he wasn't, he probably would be once the magnitude of his error sunk in.

He responded, "No. You have already done so much, and you must attend to your duties here at the gate. I think I'll venture over to the kitchen in search of a late night snack before retiring for what little remains of this night."

Turning to leave, FortyJ mused to himself, Well, not the easiest time I've had getting in here, but certainly not the hardest either. How many more adventures will I have within this compound, he wondered.

Back at the gate house, a few young guards finally found the courage to venture outside the gatehouse. One young Lieutenant poked her head out of the window as the Captain took up Jackson's position at the gate. "Captain?" she called out. "Is that who I think it is?"

"Yes Jennings." the Captain replied. "It is. We are indeed honored by his presence." He turned his attention back to the gate.

Suddenly, the captain couldn't remember if the cook knew who FortyJ was. Did he come on board before or after FortyJ's last visit? He couldn't be sure.... He also remembered the last time the cook caught one of his recruits in the kitchen after hours.... Of course, FortyJ is no mere recruit.... The thought made him wince visibly. "Uh, Jennings.... you'd better get on the phone and call the kitchen. Tell them to expect company."

OOC: Hmm, No Stories containing Mara Jade and Me? Well, Ill try to find a way to incorporate Mara and I in.

The late night cook for the kitchen was outside smoking a cigarette when one of his assistants humbly told him that the phone was for him. He ground out his smoke and mumbled to himself as he headed for the door.

"Who could ita be ata dis hour?" the Cook said through the large mustache he sported, which made him look amazingly like Father Guido Sarducci from the famed Saturday Night Live show on FBC. He held that distinction proudly. He also held seniority over most of the Staff. He was happy in his position because of his close contacts with the higher-ups in the Vatican. The feeling was reciprocated from Cardinals on up. His name was Don, and the others light-heartly called him "the Don" of the kitchen.

The phone message simply stated that FortyJ was on the way, and to be prepared...

Don looked around his kitchen and pulled some items he knew 40J would like from past midnight visits. Fires torched, pans flew, and ingredients were mixed. They might as well call him Merlin for the alchemy he preformed. He was softly talking with himself when FortyJ came in the door. Looking up, Don put down his utensils and wiped his hands on his apron. A big smile on his face.

"I'mina tella you what...It'sa so good toa seeah you face, FortyJ. It'sa been tooa long since you havea graced my kitchen. Please, come ina my house, and have a seat. Anna tell me whatchu are ahungry for, eh?" Don and 40J have had a long, low level relationship that went deep to the matter. There was no pretense. FortyJ got hungry and Don supplied him with great food. What happened around that was pure friendship.

FortyJ returned the smile, deeply inhaling the aromas that made his mouth water. "How about the usual, Don."

"Da usual. heh? I'mina tella you what...Ita hasn't been da usual arounda here lately. Witha all dis Space ah shipa business going arounda here. Dings have ah beena preety special, ifa you know wadda mean..." Don replied, still working his craft. "Have ah you heard? The Compound isa staying behind to helpa those nota fortunate enough toa go on this trip. Can ah you imagine? Also we've ahad so-called terrorist activity ina dis area. I'mina tella you what, 40J. It'sa startin' to remind me ofa da old days..."

FortyJ could see the huge smile beneath the moustache. It was good to see his old friend again.

Edit: 190/2000

The mentioning of the terrorist activity in the area threw a sad glimpse on FortyJ's face, but his old eyes, which had seen too much got their old sparkle back. Don saw this glance and knew there was no point in speaking; FortyJ's mind was too far away, both in time and distance. Despite that Don went on babbling about the old days, but careful not to speak loudly or mention the special forces in which he was, a long time ago, a member of the unit commanded by FortyJ.

FortyJ got a small shine of a smile round his lips.

He was younger, in a swampy area near the, then still Egyptian city of Memphis, when the tension before the first Egyptian war was building up. His orders were to lead his unit of 4 to gain information on the Egyptian plans and to disrupt in secret the Egyptian war preparations. He was to hide in the swamps in daytime and strike in the night. They had just kidnapped, interrogated and killed an Egyptian clerk who worked for the Egyptian military department. The information gained was send back to Noshuret by several carrier pidgeons. The first part of the mission was accomplished.

He knew it wouldn't be long before the kidnapping of the clerk was known by all Egyptian military police and they'd be combing the woods and swamps soon. He was making up his mind whether to sneak out or stay hidden in their hideout and bide their time until they could continue the second leg of their mission; disrupting the Egyptian war-preparations.

The Clerk had given them enough information to know Fanatica would fight their first war soon and he decided that his life was less important than the mission.

He had 1 man on the lookout, 1 man was ordered to sleep and Don was making dinner; a handful of berries, a rabbit and some herbs. Usually he didn't like rabbit, but Don was a good cook. Perhaps one day, after their service time he'd start his own restaurant.

A sound of an owl made FortyJ focus immediately; it was the signal the guard would give when Egyptians were spotted. Immediately Don and FortyJ dived for the ground and he woke his 3rd man. He crawled to the guard, which pointed to the edge of the treeline. He saw about 10 elite Egyptian swordsmen and 3 warchariots slowly moving their way towards them, while carefully searching the bushes and other possible hide-outs. The terrain was not very suitable for chariots, but this could only mean 1 thing; their position was known and they were in immediate threat. He had not anticipated the Egyptians to come so soon.

FortyJ woke up from his memories suddenly when a Vatican guard stormed into the kitchen. The look on his face was one of tension and his quick breathing showed he had run.

Lord FortyJ, my name is Jones, Colonel Jones, I think you should come with me; we have unexpected guests.

FortyJ said goodbye to Don and walked with Captain Jones. He wondered who theose guests might be.

Soon Mara Jade and CivGeneral's Z-95 Headhunters soon came into Gorina and landed at the Gorina Airport.

"I have never seen this in a long time after I have left for Presidency, its good to return home" CivGeneral said. Mara Jade soon replied "Why dont we head over to the Mayor's office to see your old freind Cyc". "Good Idea, Mara my darling" CivGeneral replied "Well head over there right away".

As Mara Jade flags down a taxi, CivGeneral makes a call on his Cell phone to Cyc. Back in Cyc's house, just after reciving a call from 40J, The phone rings. One of Cyc's assistants told him it was for him. "Hello, Cyc. Long time no see. Mara and I have just arived in the Airport. Would it be alright that My wife and I stop by for a visit to catch up on old time?" CivGeneral said on the Phone. "Of course you can visit, Your other freind 40J is also here" said Cyc.
"Well, My Taxi has just arived, Ill see you later" Said CivGeneral.

A few minutes later, the taxi came up to Cyc's drive way. Mara Jade and CivGeneral exited the taxi and walked upto his doorstep.
Mara Jade knocks on the door. Soon Cyc opens the door and lets the couple in.

Cyc welcomes CivGeneral and Mara Jade in the customary fashion. He leads them to the Living Room which has a breath-taking view of a small lake through a wall made entirely of glass.

"Can I get you two anything to drink?" he asks.

"Wine for me" replies CG. "And a water for me" counters Mara Jade with a smile.

They shoot the small talk for a while and eventually drift out onto the back deck, where Cyc gives a brief history of the lake. "Which brings us to the present. Speaking of which, CG, what brings you back to Gorina at this time? Are you planning to join the others on the AC journey?"

CG just gave Cyc kind of a blank stare for a moment. "Well, nothing really. We've just come home from our trip over-seas, and decided to stop in to say hey. Hey!"

Mara Jade rolls her eyes.."Cyc we've heard about the lift-off and its new time, we were kind of wondering if you could fill us in on any of the details."

Cyc smiled as he got up and walked to his desk. "Here. I stole this pen from General Peri a while ago and he's probably still looking for it. If you two could return this for me in person, I'm sure he would give you a guided tour of Mission Control at the Gorina Space Center. The Alpha Centauri will lift off from the deserts of Noshuret, but operations will be handled from Mission Control. Maybe he will be able to find a position there for you."

"That would be great," they both said in unison. "We'll head there now and see what happens." Then they looked at each other and smiled.

As they all walked to the front door, Cyc wished them the best of luck in whatever happened. He then pulled out his cell to call Mission Control. They both seemed happy to Cyc as they pulled away in the taxi he had summoned for them a few minutes earlier.

CivGeneral said to Mara Jade "Well, I hope there would be room for our Z-95 Headhunter. Or Peri could use us to escourt the ship to AC"

"I hope they would accept our Z-95" Mara said. "They would trust me" Cyc said. CivGeneral and Mara Jade soon began to eat with there old freinds Cyc, DZ, and 40J. They soon began to catch up on old times.

"So 40J are you planning to open up the casino?" CivGeneral asked. "Not sure, but we can certanly open a new one in AC" 40J Answered.

Soon the Taxi arrives to Cyc's House to take them to the Mission Control. They soon arrive and met up with Peri.

"Ahh, good to see you all here." Peri said.

"Here is the pen Cyc borrowed from you" Said CivGeneral as he hands him the pen.

"Ahh, thanks. Oh CivGeneral and Mara Jade. I am going to give you top-possitions in Mission control. Well also load up the Z-95 Headhunter to the ship and here are your 2 tickets to the ship" Peri Said.

FortyJ nodded to his friend and patted him on the shoulder as he had so many times after such a meal. He then rose and followed Colonel James out of the kitchen into the moonlit courtyard.

The courtyard was perfectly square and completely encircled by a covered hallway. The stout, five foot wide, brick columns that seperated the hallways from the courtyard were almost completely covered with ivy.

He had been in this courtyard many times before and possibly knew it better than any of the current residents of the compound. For example, he knew that climbing the ivy would not get you onto the roof, but would alert the guards in the recessed second-story guard house. Of course, he also knew that removing just four stones from the fourth column across the way would allow a man to climb onto the roof undetected.

The slightest movement caught FortyJ's attention as he crossed from shadow to moonlight. In the shadows, off to his right, stood a man, virtually impossible to detect. In fact, if the man hadn't turned his head ever-so-slightly to see FortyJ and Colonel James enter the courtyard, FortyJ might not have detected him at all. Getting sloppy, old man, FortyJ criticized himself.

FortyJ turned his attention back to his escort "Tell me Colonel, what meeting is so important to interrupt my meal?"

"I'm not at liberty to say, sir." replied the colonel.

In his younger days, FortyJ might have slammed the young colonel to the ground and attempted to extract the information forcefully, but the years have taught him patience and that patience has saved his life on many occasions. Also, he was safe inside the walls of the Vatican. What could possibly happen here?

The colonel veered to the right and continued across the courtyard. FortyJ followed, recognizing that their current path would take them dangerously close to the stranger he had just recently detected.

As they drew near, FortyJ searched the back of his escort desperately for some sign of betrayal, some indication of what the colonel had in mind for him. From his viewpoint in the courtyard, FortyJ could no longer make out the mysterious man in the shadows. He couldn't even be certain that the man was still there.

Then, at long last, they crossed back into the shadows of the hallway and out of the moonlight. The mysterious man was still there, leaning against the wall, nearly invisible in the dark recesses of the hallway.

"Hello, old friend" came the familiar voice.

FortyJ turned to face the voice from the darkness, struggling desperately to put a face with it. He could hear Colonel James continue on his way, his task complete.

"What's the matter, old man? Don't you recognize your own protégé?" chided the voice from the darkness.

FortyJ knew that voice. It was as familiar to him as if it were his own. Finally, he relaxed and stepped forward, clasping the now outstretched arm of Gladiatus.

"You know very well, that your skills far exceeded mine long ago." responded FortyJ embracing his long-time brother in arms. Both men knew this to be true, but Gladiatus was too honorable to say so publicly and FortyJ appreciated that.

FortyJ had always possessed a keen eye and an innate ability to develop talent, but it didn't take much to spot the potential of Gladiatus even as a young lad. Over the years, he tutored him and advised him, sometimes from afar as his duties often required him to be elsewhere, but it wasn't long before FortyJ found himself learning from his own student. FortyJ was not surprised when Gladiatus was finally brought into the Order of the Golden Spur, an honor bestowed on only a handful of warriors in the service of the Pope.

They stood together in the darkness like they had so many times before, in so many different places.

"I saw your entrance." kidded Gladiatus. "You should've knocked that novice on his duff."

"And miss the opportunity to see the look on his face when he realized who I was? Never." FortyJ smiled back. "How long have you been here?"

Gladiatus paused, and reluctantly admitted "I just convinced Mayor Cyc to bring me here on the pretext of a papal visit about a day before you got here. Once I learned from my network of informants that you were heading this way, I simply arranged for an invitation from the Pope to stick around for a day or so. I really never liked keeping my life in the Order a secret from Cyc. He's been practically a brother to me all these years."

"We all serve in our own ways, young Gladiatus" FortyJ reassured him. He was almost surprised by how quickly he had just fallen back into the role of mentor in the presence of his one time student.

Gladiatus smiled, and simply replied, "Indeed." Then, as if returning from thoughts far away, he started "My friend, I know that you have come to talk and report to our Holy Father, but I have just come from him this afternoon and he has directed me to find you and solicit your assistance in an endeavor of utmost importance."

"You see," continued Gladiatus, "there's trouble brewing and it's directed at the impending launch of our spaceship bound for Alpha Centauri."

FortyJ listened intently as Gladiatus continued. "We've just learned that the Babylonians intend to sabotage the launching of our space ship and we've got to stop them. Gather your belongings and meet me at the back gate in one hour. We leave for Noshuret before sunrise."

Gladiatus, looked over his shoulder, then back to FortyJ. He patted his one time mentor on the shoulder and abruptly walked away, gliding over the cobblestone courtyard with feline grace.

FortyJ followed his friend as he vanished from sight into the shadows across the way and returned his attention to the matter at hand. His informants had also alerted him of a potential plot against the space ship project, but the details were unclear.

He remembered the last mission that he and Gladiatus worked together. He also remembered how horribly wrong things went when an unexpected new employee walked in on their team at the worst possible moment. Fortunately, the mission was still a success, but if not for Gladiatus, FortyJ would have been killed that night.

FortyJ turned and headed to his quarters to prepare for his journey. He only hoped that this mission would go better than the last.

Don was just finishing the cleanup from FortyJ's meal (he had sent his assistant to lunch), when a large grey suit appeared in the doorway.

"Saints ah be praised, ah looka who we got ahere." Don wipes his hands with his apron in an unconscious, professional sign of respect. "Please, come ona in anda let me fix you something to eat. What can ah getchu, Gladiatus?"

Gladiatus beamed back his executive smile, "I'd like to order the special."

Don's eyebrows rose as his eyes darted in the direction of Gladiatus. "Maybe, you'd acare to steppa inna my office? I'm justa drawin' up a new menu", he says bringing his forefinger together with his thumb in a slight kissing gesture. "It'sa soo good!" he says in a lowered voice.

Inside the Kitchen Office, Don closes the door and turns up the small radio playing the organ music of JS Bach, and diverts all his attention to Gladiatus.

In a soft voice, Gladiatus brings Don back on line for another job. A recruitment out of semi-retirement, if you will. Don shifts weight to his other foot as he listens intently. Gladiatus finishes up with "...Here's your communication device. All the proper channels have been opened, it should be a walk in the park. I need to know of anyone whose breathing our air around that launchsite. Don't expose yourself unless necessary. Your codename is Guido." This brought a restrained smile to the face of both men. "I'll expect a full report before the crack of dawn. Full equipment allocation authorized."

"Yes, sir", was all that was required from Don. After quickly scanning the walls of the decorated office, Gladiatus turned and left.

Don watched him leave and as soon as he entered the courtyard, Don slapped his hands together. "Yes," he said, reaching for a smoke. "We're ah back ina da Big Time, fo sho."

It had been a long time since he was sent on a recon mission. A full equipment allocation meant he needed to get the Hummer loaded up and hit the road. He would leave a message for his assistant that it was not to appear that he had left early.

Today is launch day. Don had been present in his lookout point, hidden under the branches and leaves of tree far older than he is. If he wasn't so focussed on checking the entances to the launch site he'd have time to realise that these trees were just small shrubs the first settlers created Noshuret some 100 miles away.

From a distance he saw clearly the Majestic SpaceShip and saw a steady line of citizens moving towards the entrance tower; a tower which was nearly as big as the SpaceShip and if the SpaceShip wasn't the dominant factor in the landscape the tower would have been considered a world wonder in its own regard.

His old but observant eyes stayed focus on the 3 passages through the woods to the launch site. He had decided he was too old to fly off to space; he would pay Fanatica the last honor; a safe passage.

3 times already his hand has moved to the comm-device but until then the alarm was false. The first time a rabbit crossed the fields. The second time a young couple chose that site for the last amorous time they had on their planet and the third time it was just the increasing winds who moved the branches of the trees in such a way it was nearly human like.

The last time that happened was over 30 minutes ago. Don noticed he was getting old and he still detested waiting. His old bones started hurting, but that was no reason for him to loosen his guard.

Suddenly he saw 3 men, dressed entirely in black move cautiously along the bushes across the field. He held his breath as he immediatley realised these guys were up to no good. His training had taught him to be sure first, before raising the alarm. He moved in.

He heard the first man, clearly the leader, whisper to his followers: "atag la ista fanatica space-hitatra, qulle asso la bombs?". Although he didn't know Babylonian his training was extensive enough to realise the men were talking that language. He pressed the little button on his comm device, sending out the signal to the hidden swat-team. He immediately heard 40J's voice in his earplug saying: "What is going on?". His small, but high quality microphone picked up his, nearly inaudible whisper: "3 Babs, in sector 34 B". "Understood" was the only response he got but it was sufficient. He knew that over 30 highly trained special forces were hurried in to first surround the invaders and then 'get rid of them'. He stayed in his position, rechecking the area for more intruders as he was taught. But he was 1 second too slow. He suddenly felt a hard bang on his head and a splitting headache. Only his experience allowed him to grab his gun with his right hand and pressing the button on his comm device with his left hand when he fell down. He managed to turn around in his fainting fall and shoot his rifle, hitting 2 men who were behind him in the fall.

FortyJ heard the shooting, both through his comm device and through the air. He knew something had happened to Don, but he also knew there were more than 3 intruders. His only advantage over them was that he knew this, but the intruders did not know he knew. He called in the extra forces; over 3000 men. They weren't trained in the way the special forces were, but they still were seasoned veterans. Their numbers and their determination alone would secure the fight, now the enemy was located, but it would be a hard fight.

FortyJ wept as he send in the forces, because of the men who would need to give up their lives in the last day Fanatica shared this planet, and for Don. 40J knew that he would have killed a man like Don if such a man fell into his hands, so he knew Don would be dead by now.

The surprise attack by the Baylonians failed; there were over 50 Babs dead and 23 Fanaticans, including Don. The danger to the launching was averted and although this pleased 40J, his grieve over his old friend got the upper hand. He started bursting into tears.

Gladiatus knew the anguish his old war-comrade was going through. He said nothing, but walked to him. 40J looked up. One glance into their eyes and these men knew enough. Don died the way he could only die, a hero in a won fight.

Although this didn't take away the black feeling 40J felt in his heart, it did create one understanding. Don gave up his life for the greater glory of Fanatica in a way he would have wanted to. When 40J realised this he felt, besides sorrow, peace in his heart. Together with Gladiatus he walked to the SpaceShip, ready to board. In the corner of his eye he saw Rik and Cyc standing there looking very surprised to see 40J and Gladiatus walking in such a way that couldn't hide their shared history. Neither Rik, nor Cyc knew this. They shared a glance and many questions rose in their heads. They knew this wasn't the time to ask them to either 40J nor Gladiatus on the histry. Perhaps a later time would be better suited.

Top Bottom