The many questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
It just requires familiarity with the coins. Someone with no experience with them will have issues, but someone that has used them regularly for all his life should know.

I know in Canada many coins also have different edging, particularly useful for for the dime (rough) and penny (smooth) that are roughly the same size.

It just requires familiarity with the coins. Someone with no experience with them will have issues, but someone that has used them regularly for all his life should know.

I know in Canada many coins also have different edging, particularly useful for for the dime (rough) and penny (smooth) that are roughly the same size.

Well dimes are thinner quite a bit.

Question:

It seems this place was a bottle club. And around midnight the rest of the places in Ocala closed and this place opened for business and people flooded in.

What is a bottle club?

Does anyone know somewhere where I can buy the original Zoo Tycoon game so it would work on Windows 7? GOG.com has failed me.

Does anyone know somewhere where I can buy the original Zoo Tycoon game so it would work on Windows 7? GOG.com has failed me.

Check Amazon I think I saw it there. I played it successfully on Windows Vista so it ought to work on 7 (which, IMO, is basically a fancy service pack to Vista).

Yes. Most programs if compatible with one will be compatible with the other. Theres probably an odd example somewhere (always is, from what I know) but Ive never heard of it.

Out of curiosity, what do posters think when they use this emoticon?

:rolleyes:

By virtue of being called "rolleyes", I know that it is meant as a reference to sarcasm. But I never saw this little fellow in that light. I see him as more of a cheeky guy, appropriate as an indicator of a tongue-in-cheek comment. I wonder if I'm alone in this...

I tend to use :mischief:, "mischief", to indicate a tongue-in-cheek tone. He's got more of an impish character.

:p -> don't take the previous line too seriously
:mischief: -> I might be jokingly saying that to get a reaction out of you
:rolleyes: -> after lines that respond to egregious cases of ignorance, self-righteousness or hypocrisy

Out of curiosity, what do posters think when they use this emoticon?

:rolleyes:

By virtue of being called "rolleyes", I know that it is meant as a reference to sarcasm. But I never saw this little fellow in that light. I see him as more of a cheeky guy, appropriate as an indicator of a tongue-in-cheek comment. I wonder if I'm alone in this...
You really think it's that hard to figure out? :rolleyes:

Spoiler :
:mischief:
Spoiler :
:p
Spoiler :
Get the point? :mischief:

What are "lusty teen devotees"?

Yeah I figured so.

Question: I've noticed quite a bit, that when some newspapers publish articles
Subheadings inserted
they sometimes randomly stick subheadings between paragraphs and once in the middle of a paragraph (it was one of those syndicated ones so i knew about it being a paragraph). Why do they do this? I wonder if its to draw more attention to the article. Will post an example on request

Yeah I figured so.

Question: I've noticed quite a bit, that when some newspapers publish articles
Subheadings inserted
they sometimes randomly stick subheadings between paragraphs and once in the middle of a paragraph (it was one of those syndicated ones so i knew about it being a paragraph). Why do they do this? I wonder if its to draw more attention to the article. Will post an example on request

People tend to skim newspapers, so they emphasize parts (often you see a quote pulled out and put in a larger font) to try and catch a reader's attention. Basically it serves to reinforce headlines.

People tend to skim newspapers, so they emphasize parts (often you see a quote pulled out and put in a larger font) to try and catch a reader's attention. Basically it serves to reinforce headlines.

Yes I saw the quote thing. In fact I remember once they did that and it made it sound worse than it did in context which, IMHO, was kind of rude and caused a couple of years of misunderstanding

When will the United Nations do something in the Syrian civil war?
Will they wait until the country destroys itself and there is even more chaos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom