The Medieval Scenario

This brings up an interesting point, will there be scenario-specific religions?

I wouldn't be surprised, just a matter of changing the symbol and the name
... Now if they had scenario specific Beliefs that would be a bit more complex.

So I would think
Catholicism
Orthodox
Protestant*
Islam (possibly Sunni/Shiite split*)
possibly Judaism

*These are unless there is a default mechanism in the religion model for that to happen (ie through enhancements.. and possibly different enhancements)

I don't see why not.

Although I suspect they won't bother with the Fall of Rome to have Arian Christians, Germanic pantheon, Roman Christian, Sassanians, etc., but they might. It would be a good attention to detail and actually was vitally important to this point in history (Theodoric persecuted Christians not because he was a pagan, but because he followed a different sect of Christianity).

Sources vary, but Hungary converted to Christianity in 1000 or 1001 AD

OK, if my theory is right and we'll start in 1066, that'll be a bit too early.

I don't see why not.

Although I suspect they won't bother with the Fall of Rome to have Arian Christians, Germanic pantheon, Roman Christian, Sassanians, etc., but they might. It would be a good attention to detail and actually was vitally important to this point in history (Theodoric persecuted Christians not because he was a pagan, but because he followed a different sect of Christianity).

OK, if my theory is right and we'll start in 1066, that'll be a bit too early.

Well it doesn't need to be exact. you can start at 1000 AD (for nice numbers) and assume that England is already Norman, and Hungary is not converted yet (but there are missionaries ready to go)
(depending on what you want to model)

Yeah, they could fudge the timeline at the beginning. Gloss over the fighting between the Danes, Normans, and Saxons over England and just assume that's been resolved (rather than have a separate Norman civ, which would be very awkward).

Yeah, they could fudge the timeline at the beginning. Gloss over the fighting between the Danes, Normans, and Saxons over England and just assume that's been resolved (rather than have a separate Norman civ, which would be very awkward).

Given that there's already a scenario for that time period, I doubt they'd double it up.

Anyone look at the actual time periods for when some of the listed things happened? Real events, not broad time 'eras'. Might give a clue as to 'when' the scenario starts.

First Crusade was end of the 11th Century. I think 30 years after the Norman Conquest of England.

The reason I like the late 11th Century is the Kingdoms that existed for the rest of the Middle Ages are more or less established at this time. it's not entirely true (Spain is tricky), but it's better than earlier, when Italy had Lombards and a bunch of other Kingdoms. Northern Europe would be Visigoths, Arabs, Byzantines, etc. France and Germany would be three Kingdoms not two, with Burgundy in the middle. England was either Danish, Saxon, or Norman.

By 1070, things have cleared up significantly. You lose the early Middle Ages, but the famous parts of the Middle Ages are yet to come.

Yay Wikipedia

Crusades
1074 at earliest, 1095-1099 for First Crusade

Ottoman invasion
1265 cities began falling (although the Seljuks started conquering in 1067)

Mongol Invasion
1237 (start attacking Rus)

Reformation Wars
1517 (95 Theses)-1648 (Treaty of Westphalia)

please please please let the 30 years war be included!!

such an interesting conflict. "underrated" I guess you could say, if that's appropriate when discussing wars.

I don't think most people consider the 30 Years War to be the Middle Ages. However, if the Reformation is included from beginning to end, it will include the entire 30 Years War (up to Westphalia).

I would love to have a 30 years war scenario. But in combination with a Sweden DLC-civ or something else, but separate. I don't think it can really be represented on a whole-European map where Germany is one player and where the scenario spans 600 years.

I would put it from 1000-1643. This would mark the end of the tercio formation (which by this point evolved moreso under Gustavus Adolphus, than it did under the Spaniards. Simply because he made the formations smaller and more mobile.), which were replaced by musket regiments after the battle of Rocroi in 1643. From a military standpoint this could be used as the dividng line between Renaisscance and the the Age of Enlightenment. Even better may be using 1066-1643. Beginning the campaign with the battle of Hastings and ending with Rocroi. 1066 is usually used as the dividing line between the end of the dark ages and early medieval era.

It would be nice if there was unique medieval era music for this, or some kind of playlist edit so that we don't hear Beethoven while fighting the Mongols. Will Firaxis do this? Who knows? I'm hoping these 3 scenarios are more substantial and complex than the previously released scenarios.

I'm just hoping for us to be able to play a Poland/Austria/Hungary/Somewhere in that general area Civ.

Yes I know I haven't posted in months.

I reckon there will be. Looking at the various incarnations of Civ, the "official" scenarios are often a lesson in what's possible modding-wise and how to do it. Therefore, we'll be shown how to mod religion via at least one of the scenarios.

The Medieval scenario is almost certain to have religion. Everyone knows religion played an important role.

I'm curious if the Fall of Rome scenario will have it. I'm going by the Civ3 scenario, but there's quite some variety. You have the Eastern and Western Empires that are Roman Christian (I wouldn't quite split them into Catholic and Orthodox). You have the Celts who were also Christian. You have the Sassanian Persians who are Zoroastrian. You have the Huns that are, whatever the Huns were. You have the Ostrogoths, Visigoths, and Vandals (I believe) who were Arian. You have the Anglo-Saxons, which had a Germanic/Nordic religion. Then, if you have the Franks, who would be either Arians or Roman Christian (they went back and forth before settling on Roman Christian).

The medieval scenario is going to have lots of religion. It's probably the time in history when people where the most religious. And you also have the crusades going on. I hope religion is somewhat customizable the way the policies are. I don't want it to become to dominant in the game either. I don't mind knowing religion is there, and being aware of it while playing. But I don't want to spend all my time micromanaging religion, and wasting hammers on building missionaries and churches when I need to be building armies and industry.

Top Bottom