The mini Luxemburg quizz...

Do you know what is Luxemburg ?

• Of course, I live there/nearby

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Isn't it one of these castles in Bavaria ?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes ! It's the name of a communist activist in Germany around the WWI

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Never heard of, probably the name of an island in the Pacific...

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
Of course HOLY ROMAN EMPIRE! Think of Karl IV. 1346-1378. I thought you're Luxemburgian, so you should know better!

Well done Hadrian ! No, I am not from Luxemburg.
You are right about Charles IV of Luxemburg. He was indeed elected king of the Romans, but I knew him better as king of Bohemia. Anyway, King of the Romans was more an honorifc title than anything else. He was also the father of John the blind that Knight-dragon cited. I apologize for having rejected the Holy Roman Empire earlier.

Q9 is correct as well.

I think this thread will die quietly now. Does anyone have more questions about Luxemburg ?

Well, not to play schoolmaster here, but wasn't it (also) Karl IV who pillaged Rome because the pope got fresh?
No no no, wait that was Karl V...

Luxemburg is an excellent example of how rather small countries can influence the fate of its surrounding greater neighbors.

Luxemburg is an excellent example of how rather small countries can influence the fate of its surrounding greater neighbors.

Luxemburg was just one of the numerous "principalties" (including duchies, kingdoms, counties...) of the Holy Roman Empire. Any of these semi-state could have spawn a great emperor, or stay in the darkness. I don't agree to say Luxemburg was a country in the middle ages, because, Bavaria, Hesse, Limburg, Liege, Wurtemberg or any other of the principalties of the Holy Roman Empire. What's more, most of them were German, Italian or French speaking as the HREmpire extended from Northern Germany and the Netherlands to Eastern France and Northern Italy. But all spoke dialects and there was not one German, but hundreds of them. Lietzebuerger is the dialect of Luxemburg still spoken by everybody there as the country hasn't been part of the uniformisation of the German language in the 19th century.:king:

Originally posted by Julien
You are right about Charles IV of Luxemburg. He was indeed elected king of the Romans, but I knew him better as king of Bohemia. Anyway, King of the Romans was more an honorifc title than anything else. He was also the father of John the blind that Knight-dragon cited. I apologize for having rejected the Holy Roman Empire earlier.
Er, .... John who? :confused: :crazyeyes :)

Sorry, Thuloid cited John the Blind. But Knight-Dragon first thought of the Holy Roman Empire. I should check who post what before quoting people from my failing memory...:p

Sorry, Thuloid cited John the Blind. But Knight-Dragon first thought of the Holy Roman Empire. I should check who post what before quoting people from my failing memory...:p
From what I read/know/ppl telling me, falling memory is a sure sign of old age ..... :D

Q4 : right !

Trier isn't it ? I have been there with my Japanese girlfriend last July before to go back to Japan. We presently live in central Tokyo. Ima nihongo wo benkyou wo ****eirun desu ga, amari jouzu ja nai.
Well, I don't know if you've learned some Japanese there ; maybe you were too young to remember. Where were you living ?

Ich spreche auch ein bischen Deutsch, weil Ich habe Ausstauchschuler 4 Monaten in Berlin gewesen. Aber ich kann nicht mehr errineren. :o Es macht schon 4 Jahren dass ich nicht mehr Deutsch benutzt habe.

Tschuess !

I recognize a few Japanese words, but little else. I was 6 years old when I left, and haven't spoken it since (when I left, of course, my Japanese was good...). I lived far up on the northern tip of Honshu, in Tochigi prefecture. Extremely different from Tokyo, which I remember vaguely from a few visits.

Your German is somewhat better than mine, I'm afraid (I know just enough to read what you wrote). I am actually American, and only living in Germany temporarily (not that it isn't lovely, but one has obligations). For what it's worth, Belgium is my favorite country in Europe.

Originally posted by Hadrian

And btw (to all Americans), it's HABSBURG, not Hapsburg! Someone must have taught you wrong.

Sorry. I have a pad happit of missbelling that name.:D

1) Where is Luxemburg ?
South to Belgia and Netherlands ; One of BeNeLux countries.

2) What's the capital of Luxemburg ?
Luxemburg. (It's the only city, btw)

3) About how many people live in Luxemburg
50 000?

4) Who is the head of state of Luxemburg ?
No idea.

5) What languages are spoken in Luxemburg and which one(s) is/are official(s) ?
Belgium, German, French...

6) In the end of the middle ages, the Duke of Luxemburg was also king of another European region, much larger. Which one is it ?
Tell me.

7) What was the national currency of Luxemburg before the Euro ?
Belgium currency?

8) How many countries border Luxemburg ?
3; France, Germany and Belgium.

9) What European institution has its siege in Luxemburg ?
EU Bureycracy stuff. And lots of it.

Originally posted by Juize

2) What's the capital of Luxemburg ?
Luxemburg. (It's the only city, btw)

5) What languages are spoken in Luxemburg and which one(s) is/are official(s) ?
Belgium, German, French...

Not to be unnecessarily hard on you, but Luxembourg city is not the only city in Luxembourg (it is the only large city). There are lots of towns and villages of varying sizes in Luxembourg (lots relative to the size of the country, of course). I have had the good fortune of visiting several of them, and believe me, they really do exist.

Do you mean to imply that there is such a language as "Belgian?" Could you please post a sample?:D

Originally posted by SpaceCow
The poll is pretty dumb, what if you dont live nearby or there then what am i gonna answer?

Well I think that you can answer that it's the name of a communist activist in germany around WWI, whose pretty firstname was Rosa.

Originally posted by Thuloid
Do you mean to imply that there is such a language as "Belgian?" Could you please post a sample?:D

Of course I can, just listen:

Olipa kerran henkilö nimeltänsä Juise. Hän liittyi Civilization Vanatiks sentteriin,
ja otti nimeksensä Juize. Sitten hän vastasi väärin Pelgia-kvizziin
ja sai huonon itsetunnon.

There ya go! :cool:

6) In the end of the middle ages, the Duke of Luxemburg was also king of another European region, much larger. Which one is it ?

The Netherlands.

Time to reclaim our lost properties. And with that I mean we should reclaim Belgium too. That'll teach them a lesson.

Let's barricade Antwerp again first!

In addition to that, for anyone interested in Luxemburgs history:
check this out

You might want to refresh your knowledge of the French language first.

Also, you're all correct when you state that Luxemburg was part of the Roman empire, the Holy Roman empire, the French empire and whatever more, but those emperors undoubtly ;) never had the title Grand Duke of Luxemburg.

Top Bottom