the most powerfull nation on earth... ever

which nation was most powerfull in its own time. {rome in year 70, USA in 2001, etc}

• The United States of America {Bill Clinton} 2000, before the economic bad times

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • The Roman Empire {Trajan} 110, at the Empire's geographic largest

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Egypt {Ramses II} BCE

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • The Kingdom of France {Louis IVX} 1600's at the Empires 'golden era'

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • The British Colonial Empire {Victoria} 1700's at the Empire's geographic largest

Votes: 40 28.8%
  • Babylon {Hammarubi} BCE

• Israel {David} BCE

• The Atrociously Uncoordinated Monstrosity of Mongols {Genghis Khan} 1200's when Khan was live

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • Islam {Assorted Leaders} 700's-1300's when they defeated the "west" in the crusades

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Ottoman Empire {Assorted Leaders} 1500's at the Empire's geographic largest

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
An ill defined survey, LOL... too similar to other surveys. Modern nations, esp. America, should not be listed, because the camparison is not really valid... America is still a work in Progress, and no one can argue its help/dominance/interference in every corner of the world, in almost every aspect, from movies to military to political to economic to humanitarian to religious. No nation has made such an impact.

In older times, the Roman empire was not the biggest, but it weilded similar power to America's for its era.

The Viking (Swedish/Norwegian) era 800 AD to 1100 AD influenced more peoples and conquered more land area than even Rome. The results and colonizations extended from North America to far eastern Russia. Russia is named for the Viking term, "Russ". Even the most powerful city in the world could not subdue the vikings (Constantinople)... the vikings did not conquer it, but they got tribute, LOL...

Germany, France, Japan, China... none even approached the power, area, and reach of the British empire. In fact, like the Viking Empire... the sun never set on the British empire. In the interests of civility and world peace, Britian has become more peaceful and returned many colonies. But they could still crush much of the world if they really decided to, including China. "nukes carbonize red hordes" ;).

I voted for the British Empire. Not only was it geographically HUMONGOUS, it was extremely durable until after WW2. In another 65 years, England can officially claim to be the country which hasn't been invaded for an entire MILLENNIUM!

Originally posted by shadowdale
I don't think any of the current countries or alliances will be here in 1000 years.

:sniper:

Really? Not even San Marino? They've been around FOREVER!

Countries that will still be here in 1000 years unless the world ends:
China
Russia
Japan
India
Korea
England
Talossa (!)

I would definitly vote for the Mongols ,but then under the rule of Möngke Khan.it was the only time in history that one nation in terms of millitary might could easaly have taken the whole world. (if they had ships to cross the oceans of course)
After the dead of möngke the nation was never united again.
the mongels would have easely defeated the Mammeluks if the dead of môngke did just then occured.And IF they had taken it ,they could have defeated the european nations with ease too.

You can easely say that nobody could have defeated the mongels in that time.There was no match.
This you can not say of those other nations in the poll.They were the strongest at their time ,but they had pretty strong enemy's too.

In the Time of Möngke Khan ,the Mongols were unstoppable.

How could you forget the Hellenes under Philip and Alexander?

Also, no Americnidian tribe? Incans, Mayans?

I voted Mongols - nobody had such hegemony anywhere at any time ever before or since as a percentage of the world's power.

However, USA 1946 - 1950 is pretty close but that also was not part of your poll, so I will stay with my beloved mongols.

I went with USA, just because of its military and economic dominance.

If no USA, I would go Mongols (even though it didn't last long) and then the Romans, then Brits.

P.S. As great as the Aztec and Incan Empires were, I would not lable them as dominating the globe.

I would have voted for China had it been in the poll. I mean it's a contemporary of Rome and has lasted till the present day. Thru out much of the Christian era, it has been pretty powerful but not really interested in foreign conquests cos there aren't really any comparable nation around it for it to conquer (except for Korea & Vietnam maybe). And China's being hyped around now as the next superpower after the USA (although I think that's highly unlikely considering the odds and present problems).

So I voted for none of the above. :o

rome was definatly more powerful.
Im not trying 2 offend anyone, but i know i will.

Rome had problems with barbarians and effectively took them out. They had no problems with anyone, but themselve, and eventually killed them self with their insest.
America, all powerful and the rest, let a few terrorists hurt them.

I voted Victorian Britain, although I'll agree much of this poll is comparing apples and oranges.... I'm surprised they don't use Victoria (and not Elizabeth) as the English leader in the civ series, btw....

But the British at their height had colonies ALL OVER the world, on every continent (including both Americas), as well as lots of influence everywhere. The commonwealth of nations today still reflects this widespread influence....

In terms of commercial/cultural influence however, it would be today's US....

JellyDonut: "England can officially claim to be the country which hasn't been invaded for an entire MILLENNIUM"

Not entirely true--during WWII the Germans occupied the Channel Islands--aren't these considered part of England Proper?

Surprised that Imperial Spain (circa 1600) wasn't included in the poll however. In terms of sheer land area, they'd definitely be a contender....

Hey....

I don't think New Zealand has been invaded ever.
Unless you call the british setling in NZ an Invasion, but I would, sure Maoris and Pakehas had fights, but they were more internal affais. Same with the Maori-Maori fights. Dunno, how do u define 'invasion'? Coz also, before the Maori were the Moriori, and the Maori ate them all. :lol:

I don't think New Zealand has been invaded ever.
Is New Zealand Still an British colony, or is it an Australian Province? And if NZ belongs to Australia now, when were they forced to take it?

:lol:

;)

:D

Why would we want such a sheep ridden, mud sodden lump of rock in the middle of bloody nowhere as a province?;) We are very choosy who we oppress with our evil capitalist imperialist fascism:p , and it is bad enough that we have to look after Tasmania, let alone NZ......

This is a biased poll! How dare you call the mogols uncoordinated!!! :crazyeyes

Anyway I went for the Mongols because they had the largest empire and they would have conquered all of europe (They destroyed the Polish and teutonic armies, or something like that) but then they had to go home...

Originally posted by Simon Darkshade
Why would we want such a sheep ridden, mud sodden lump of rock in the middle of bloody nowhere as a province?;) We are very choosy who we oppress with our evil capitalist imperialist fascism:p , and it is bad enough that we have to look after Tasmania, let alone NZ......

Shut up, just coz we're better at rugby than you....

No wait...

Cricket....

No...

:D

Ok, cool things about NZ.
Ummmmmm... give me a few minutes
I know!!! Lots of sheep = Lots of sex.... :lol:

Originally posted by allan
.... I'm surprised they don't use Victoria (and not Elizabeth) as the English leader in the civ series, btw....

Victoria was really just figurehead, because by that time the Parliament and the various Prime Ministers (Disraeli) held most of the power.
She did have a little power though. However, Elizabeth ran the entire country.

Two things weimar:
  1. Writing dates with apostrophes is incorrect. The dates don't own anything, and there's nothing missed out at that point. For example, to write "thirteen hundreds" you should write 1300s. Writing 1300's is wrong.
  2. Queen Victoria reigned in the 1800s, not the 1700s.
    [/list=1]

I left out some empires for specific reasons...

first off, I left out Spain cause I felt that, in europe, it was never really #1, but always had contendters, like France, England, and Portugal, plus the Germans and not to mention the Ottomans. I felt that Spain was only powerfull is a buncha useless, uninhabited land {also why Canada was not added:)}
I left out Greece, and other person-centered empires cause they did not last long enough. if so, Napoleon and Hitler would have had thier empires included.
I dident mean to offend anyone by it, but I just felt that these were the empires that deserved a mention. after like 50 votes, I will ask this poll closed, and start another one with the suggestions included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom