The (Official?) Civ V Google Earth Atlas

Shameless it may be, but I downloaded the one with Minoa anyway. And thanks for pointing it out, I'd thought your deal was just the Urartu stuff!

I'd held out on the new Google Earth. After being able to feel like I was back on Little Round Top in Gettysburg back in 2002 using it, I dunno what in the world I was so stubborn for.

Oh! The first contributor appears! If it's your own mods then yeah, there's zero objection, you know what's what there and what everything is meant to be.

Big problem with lots of people contributing is again, the folders are but an illusion, only one most-up-to-date version can exist at once like some sort of terrible Highlander spinoff.

But yeah since you're doing that....uhhhh would it be remiss of me to ask that you outright go and 100% all of your civs on there? That way it's cemented as that part being done and I can be assured I can from thereafter go work on scenario stuff (like I was almost doing before I peeked at this thread!).

E: that link you posted last doesn't seem to have that folder within it nor the two civs stated? Unless I am doing something weird and/or wrong...

What the... yeah, something's weird, all right. That link was working perfectly fine last night; I better not have lost all my hard work :mad: I'll take a closer look.

EDIT: Okay, I'm confused. I made the .kml file on a different account than I usually use, and they're showing up when I open up the file on that account. So I didn't lose all my hard work as long as I'm on this other account, but I did when I'm on my normal account. How I actually transfer that hard work to other peoples' google earth client is apparently a different nut to crack. :dunno:
Also, when I close google earth, I get a message saying "You have unsaved items in your 'Temporary Places' folder. Would you like to save them to your 'My Places' folder?" with the options Save, Discard and Cancel. Since I have no idea what that means I've always pressed Discard, which may be the problem. I guess I'll test that now...
EDIT2: Nope, didn't work. Placemarks still aren't showing up on my normal account :undecide:

I'd be more than happy to add the rest of the 16NP civs, but understand that it will take a significant amount of time, and I certainly don't intend on doing them all in one day.

Alright, I think this version of the map should work better. I'm pretty sure I got it working, but who can say?

At any rate, the changelog is thus:
Spoiler :

- Added "Taiwan" to the Sixteen Nation Project folder
- Placemarked the entire Taiwanese city list:
Spoiler :
Taipei
Tai-Chung
Kaohsuing
Tai-Nan
Taoyuan
New Taipei
Hsinchu
Zhongli
Chiayi
Chilung
Suao
Ma-Kung
Taitung
Hua-Lien
Miaoli
Nantou
Fengyuan

- Added "Berbers" to the Sixteen Nation Project folder
- Placemarked the entire Berber city list:
Spoiler :
Aghat
Ubari
Ghadames
Menaka
Tizi Wezzu
Ghardaia
Kidal
Bgayet
Timia
Agadez
Zinder
Ingal
Tiaret
Tessaoua
Tamanrasset
Tahoua
Abalak
El Atteuf
Assode

- Screwed up the folder organization something bad :blush:

Taiwan: Blue placemark, grey label, on Taiwan
Berbers: Blue placemark, red label, scattered throughout the Sahara

Hrmmmmm, there is something...off about many of the placemarks, clicking directly on them often leads me to totally different locales than where the thing is. I am very exacting on all of them having the same format and view ^^;

Worry not on doing all of them yourself, I will take care of them. However, to make it easier, could you make sure all their city lists are on the mod wikia? Oh, and you know the banner on the infobox above the unique attributes where it says the civ and leader name? That's where I get the RGB values for the placemarks, so please define those with exactly how the RGB is on the civ itself (the wikia has it on scale from 0-255 while the in-game code uses decimal scale - just multiply the color values in the mod by 255). Then I'll be able to do it a lot faster than having to root around files and dealing with mod installationing.

Oh and it would also help if you would like, link me to the sources you acquired said city names from. Maps help too, even if they're not precise they usually still are enough for me to determine things - sometimes obscure places not mentioned elsewhere just so happen to line up exactly with existing population centers.

But yeah I do kind of wish to get a move on in regards to scenarios since some of the big ones can take a lot of doing - Wonders of the Ancient World, Fall of Rome and Into the Renaissance are big things to tackle! Not to mention how I want to also do JFD's versions of them - and his ItR is rather enormous, assuming all the relevant info for this is even complete!

I'm keeping all those RGB-infobox things as the colors of 16NP, if you don't mind, but I can provide them. (I'll just steal them from the icons I made for color scheme index)
But I'll update for city lists. Reminder that you needn't check Taiwan or Urartu. And you can't check the Berber or Minoan pages because they don't exist, and I don't intend on making them until I update them, which isn't going to be soon.

For cities: Wikipedia. Wikipedia everything. Wikipedia Wikipedia Wikipedia Wikipedia Wikipedia Wikipedia Wikipedia Wikipedia Wikipedia Wikipedia Wikipedia Wikipedia Wikipedia if it's not on Wikipedia it doesn't exist. :p Most of the cities have the coords provided on their respective pages which I just punch into google earth. And when they don't, I eyeball it using a map - from Wikipedia.

So hold on a minute while I write up a text file for the RGB values.

EDIT: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pBiMQ76koRLApDwPZmuIwAcSjrz6xmzdBoQ88eWPJfQ/edit
Don't be spooked by the phantom typing words; I'm writing the document as we speak.

No love for Araucanía and Patagonia [emoji14]?

Speaking of Araucania & Patagonia, you might have some trouble with it because I deliberately put there some pretty small Patagonian communities that may not even appear on the map. I could give the rough location of where they are, but, well, you know...

I also think places like Chillihue aren't on the map anymore.

Hmmmm. This isn't dead, no worries, scenarios are just taking a while. Can someone load up the Fall of Rome scenario and confirm that the capital of the Franks is Duisburg? I can't load it up myself, it CTDs whenever I try, and there's seemingly no screenshots of it online.

Many thanks for that. With luck, the next update should be...around...Christmas-ish! The big ones I have left are Wonders of the Ancient World, Africa, and Samurai Invasion. Still also need the Civil War but that should be easy. Big concerns are the Hittites, Sumer, and Manchu, those may well be a pain to finish up - a handful of Africa bits are likely to give me trouble too but I expect that to be just more busywork than actual research requirements.

It is somewhat later than Christmas! It is in fact the New Year!

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

look this last image is very significant in identifying the complete arcane shenanigans I had to go through for this

NEW YEAR'S 2016 UPDATE: Scenarios and all things pertaining thereof!

Download link

Some things might be silly, like where I put things like Arheimar and Atilla's Court are not at all where they are on the actual Fall of Rome map. These things happen when dealing with places we do not know of as existing!

Same method of applying this as before! Sorry I could not keep up monthly updates, things got bogged down ^^; (also i was too lazy to want to deal with ancient lost city nonsense but AS IT TURNS OUT literally none of the hard ones were difficult save like four or five Hittite cities)

Alright so - I had been working on this slowly but steadily over the past basically a year! Nothing really TOO major, at least from what I remember.

But! Just today when I opened up everything, it was corrupted. Somehow. Despite it having been working fine just the day before, and not having added in anything major. And for WHATEVER reason, it replaced the contents of both the main file and backup with 6 MB of null characters, functionally erasing the entire thing.

The only backup I had was literally the update I previously posted, all the way back around New Year's. I'm not sure HOW MUCH I lost. It's at a /minimum/ 1 MB. It could be much much more. I have no way of knowing. A lot of that work was actually setting it up for Civ VI but there's a few mods I'd done that are gone now. So for all intents and purposes - this hasn't been updated /at all/ in the past year. Sorry about that but there's literally nothing I could do. I'm still not sure what has happened and why it did that. But, well. Ugh.

IF YOU ARE THOSE THAT STILL CARE ABOUT THIS do help me out by putting up all the relevant info of civs on the now sort of not all that active Wikia that ought to be more relevantly linked. http://civilization-v-customisation.wikia.com/wiki/Civilization_V_Customisation_Wikia

Ideally make sure the colors match up 100% with the heading, which I know is inconvenient because the game calculates them as percentages but the wiki does it with either hex or RGB, so. Much usage of calculator is needed. And ensure that the city lists are exactly as they are listed in the XML files, weird characters and all! But I'm likely going to focus more on Civ VI in the coming days so it's nothing urgent.

Sorry man, I know what it's like to lose so much work. Afraid I can't help, but best of luck on updating it for Civ 6 and adding newly released civs!

Top Bottom