The Sword of Islam 0.5.0 Discussion

I just checked all my saves (I dont have a lot of them , maybe 10 for whole game), and there is interesting thing... In early saves there was difference of 2 gold between "'total mercenary maintenance" and real sum. In mid game saves that difference goes to 4, and in late game its 6. And I havent hired any cheaper units.

Small correction - it goes 0-2-4-6... In first 2 savegames calculation is ok, It looks like it adds 2 gold after some period...

I remember the same bug with mercenary maintenance in RFCE
(before 3Miro totally changed the mercenary code for our mod)
IIRC the bug was connected to great generals

When you attach your GG to a mercenary, an extra 2 gold maintenance appears - only shown in the total mercenary maintenance
You have to pay that until the end of the game, even if the unit and GG dies
Hope this helps (and I remember correctly)

I did see this bug without regard of any General -- it was in vanila RFC and most modmods I played. At some point I had no mercenaries and still payed 2 gold. If you disband Mercenary (instead of properly firing him) this will generate additional bug -- you will continue to pay for him...

Thanks Jazzer32, AbsintheRed and Tigranes.

Disbanding(deleting) of Mercenaries in SoI was fixed long time ago and seems to work fine.

The issue with GG-led mercenaries leaving 2 gold after they die or are disbanded was there and is now fixed.

This isn't all, however. Something is still leaving some ordinary mercenaries behind. Jazzer32, do you remember what happened to your Anglo-Saxon Varangian Guard, Circassian Horse Archer and Armenian Horse Archer?

This isn't all, however. Something is still leaving some ordinary mercenaries behind. Jazzer32, do you remember what happened to your Anglo-Saxon Varangian Guard, Circassian Horse Archer and Armenian Horse Archer?

Well..I lost all 3 in the battle..I think, not sure for one of the horse archers...but im sure for Varangian Guard and other horse archers

The Rebels sometimes show odd behaviour. When you approach a city with a sizeable army, they tend to delete all but one defenders. It doesn't happen always, and I'm not sure if its a SoI-only thing - I vaguely remember it in DoC, too. Not 100% sure about that though. I'll try to get a save from such a situation.

Also, the Ghorid UP doesn't work in holy cities (at least not in the Hindu one).

The Rebels sometimes show odd behaviour. When you approach a city with a sizeable army, they tend to delete all but one defenders. It doesn't happen always, and I'm not sure if its a SoI-only thing - I vaguely remember it in DoC, too. Not 100% sure about that though. I'll try to get a save from such a situation.

It's very unlikely that it is related to the fact that you're approaching. The AI, however, will sometimes disband a lot of units if it just went broke. I've given the minor civs all kinds of bonuses to make sure their unit maintenance is very small, but it can still happen.

Also, the Ghorid UP doesn't work in holy cities (at least not in the Hindu one).

That's correct, you simply cannot purge a religion from its holy city. The same rule applies to persecution & massacres.

Here's a save from a game as Rum. Kallipolis (Rebel) has two archers defending. Once you enter their borders, they delete one archer. If you don't enter, they keep it. Seems a bit trivial in that case, but sometimes it matters a lot and makes it very easy to conquer rebel cities. They usually keep their worst defenders, which makes no sense if it's a maintenance thing.
About the Ghorids, it doesn't really matter in the end, as only Dhaka and Constantinople don't have Sunni already.

Attachments

• delete.CivBeyondSwordSave
    698.9 KB · Views: 209
Here's a save from a game as Rum. Kallipolis (Rebel) has two archers defending. Once you enter their borders, they delete one archer. If you don't enter, they keep it. Seems a bit trivial in that case, but sometimes it matters a lot and makes it very easy to conquer rebel cities. They usually keep their worst defenders, which makes no sense if it's a maintenance thing.

Well, that wound up to be interesting... After some debugging it turned out to be a really nasty bug in Better BTS AI mod. Normally, a low-on-gold AI will disband some obsolete, unpromoted units, but only when there are no enemy units nearby. The BBAI bug makes it do the opposite - disband obsolete units only when there are enemies around. It actually applies to all AI, not just the Minor civs, but normal civs are less likely to have obsolete units and no money for upgrades (in your save, the Independent player that has Kallipolis is the only one low on gold, the other three Minors have several thousands).

This bug exists in latest BBAI and, unless spotted by someone else, in all mods that incorporate it, meaning pretty much every big mod out there. So, good job ;)

For those interested, the condition in red needs a negation i.e. an exclamation mark, since the function returns false for a danger value of zero.

Code:
/************************************************************************************************/
/* BETTER_BTS_AI_MOD                      08/20/09                                jdog5000      */
/*                                                                                              */
/* Unit AI, Efficiency                                                                          */
/************************************************************************************************/
									if ((pLoopUnit->getDomainType() != DOMAIN_LAND) || pLoopUnit->plot()->plotCount(PUF_isMilitaryHappiness, -1, -1, getID()) > 1)
									{
										//if ((calculateUnitCost() > 0) && (AI_getPlotDanger( pLoopUnit->plot(), 2, false) == 0))
										if ((calculateUnitCost() > 0) && ([COLOR="Red"]AI_getAnyPlotDanger( pLoopUnit->plot(), 2, false)[/COLOR]))
/* BETTER_BTS_AI_MOD                       END                                                  */

Alright, all mercenary maintenance issues are fixed on SVN with a sanity check done every turn. If any hired and already-placed mercenary has wrong unit ID, it is removed.

Would it be possible for you to add a code to locate relics? At the moment relics hunting for religious victories take along time, and I guess especially so for people who are nor very familiar with Middle East geography and history. No need to do much, just a message saying something along the line of:"Relic A was last seen in city B controlled by faction F". It doesn't even have to be 100% accurate, but at least will provide a direction for expansion and allow the players to plan ahead.

The idea was that players can use espionage. Also some unsettled Relics are visible while conducting
diplomacy. Perhaps, F9 screen could have very vague information about the owners of certain relics (no geographical location, of course, otherwise what kind of Relic hunt can we talk about?).

islam relics usually:
1 in yemen(sana'a)
1 in oman (masqat)
1 in low egypt (cairo or al-’Iskandariya)
1 or 2 in iraq
1 or 2 in palestine
christian relic usually:
1 in makuria
1 in lesser armenia
1 or 2 in al-kuds\tyre
AI settled relics in capitals as a rule

The idea was that players can use espionage. Also some unsettled Relics are visible while conducting
diplomacy.

I thought a relic can only be seen in the diplomacy screen if it's not settled? Anyway we wouldn't be able to do that if we lose contact with the civs.

SanJose said:
islam relics usually:
1 in yemen(sana'a)
1 in oman (masqat)
1 in low egypt (cairo or al-’Iskandariya)
1 or 2 in iraq
1 or 2 in palestine
christian relic usually:
1 in makuria
1 in lesser armenia
1 or 2 in al-kuds\tyre
AI settled relics in capitals as a rule

Thanks a lot, that definitely helps!

Top Bottom