Too tasteless for a splash screen?

isnorden

Amnesiac Modder
When I decided to add the alleged Uppsala temple to my modpack, I searched Google for potential splash-screen pictures. Most of my results were irrelevant, which left two "good" choices: (1) a medieval woodcut based on Adam of Bremen's second-hand description of the temple, or (2) Carl Larsson's 19th-century painting Midvinterblot. The painting is certainly dramatic and colorful, and related to the wonder I'm adding; but I doubt that a ritual scene with a nude sacrificial victim is acceptable under Steam's ToS. (The victim is standing in profile; there's no sexualization or gore; but he's still nude.) If you needed to use someone else's artwork (not created for gaming) in a mod, would you consider a piece like Midvinterblot too tasteless or offensive for a splash screen?

There's nothing tasteless or offensive in this artwork but at the end it's only a personal opinion.
I suppose that some people may consider all Greek and Antik arts to be tasteless and offensive.
And of course it's a question of age and religion of the player.

So if you consider that the artwork can hurt the sensibility of some people then that leaves 2 solutions : choose another artwork to be safe or put a warning in the mod's description : PEGI 12 for example.

I reluctantly paid $15 to download another artist's depiction of the place. At least this splash screen is much less likely to upset players' parents!

Top Bottom