True Start Location Earth Maps

ok,I tried to load a save game, but it tells me that the mods loaded are not compatible.

I have TSL loaded, and I even tried loading a save with it unloaded. It's the only mod I have,

Kind of sucks, because I was really enjoying the game I was playing, and now I can't load it. O.o

It's just a map right? Is there a way I can just modify the save game so that it doesn't think I need to load a mod?

its a bug, currently you have to actually double click the save game from the folder its in, for it to load up properly. At least thats what the word is.

edit: and btw I doubt Dale is going to work on this much more. He already said he has other mods he's working on, and really map creation is something almost anybody should be able to do (if they'd hurry up already and release the tools). That said, the map is nigh unplayable with all the imbalance and clutter of too many civs/city states too close to one another, but it'll make everything that much easier for whoever does the next versions of earth.

great job mate, i was looking for something like this!

Actually, since all saves go into the main save folder... moving the save game into the ModdedSaves folder works in game. I copied a beging game as Rome. I copied and pasted it. I looked in mod load game menu. It showed both copies. The moved copy worked just fine.

The screenshot in the OP; what size of map is that? Do you have screens of all map-sizes?

To those who installed on another drive other than C.

Use 7 zip or something to extract the contents of the mod into the maps folder.

I still have the original file in the mods folder, and it works for me now =p

Sweet, thx.

Well, that's the problem when you base the civilizations on leader names; The game starts in 4000 B.C., but you've got leaders who ruled in the 16th Century.

If the Arabs want to conquer Baghdad, as they did in the real world, great. But starting there just feels wrong.

I would ignore the leader's name and go with where the civilization sprang from.
The Arabs should start in Arabia, and the Chinese around Xian, for example.

I haven't seen it yet, but I hope Egypt doesn't build an Alexandria. That was a city built (or renamed) by Greek conquerors. If the Greeks can do it again in the game, great. But having the Egyptians build Alexandria is like a Native American civilization building New York.

Ok, I'll move America to England too.

I've already said I won't be making changes. There were lots and lots of requests for a true start version of Firaxis earth maps. I've already got a long list of mods to do, but I took a day out of my time to make them.

Like I said above, I could take a month of time to get these maps perfect. But then you wouldn't see the new strategic resource, civ the card game, tactical war scenarios, custom setup screen tutorials, or any of the other much more complex mods on my list. Which do you think is more important for the community? A set of TSL's which take a month to make perfect which anyone could do with world builder? Or mod tutorials, examples of how to make complex mods and generally helping build up the mod community? ;)

I signed up just to post in this thread, which is a success for this forum but not a good sign for the user friendliness of any mod....

Ensure Load Scenario is ticked.

Someone might have mentioned that the "Load Scenario" tick mark appears under "Map Type" after you select the map... All the people out there who are not reading this thread could think it's the "Enabled" check mark under Mods or the "Start Scenario" button.

So will this ever allow for Advanced Setup changes? I fully customize every game so as of now this does not work for me, it's one interesting feature that severely limits twenty others.
Also it sure seems like not being able to select opposing civilizations pretty much kills off half the usefulness of this thing....

Ok, I'll move America to England too.

I've already said I won't be making changes. There were lots and lots of requests for a true start version of Firaxis earth maps. I've already got a long list of mods to do, but I took a day out of my time to make them.

Sorry Dale, I didn't notice that you were not planning to make any changes at all to the maps. I remembered reading that you did not want to spend all the time adding individual resources but I thought since it was the first version, some start location changes could take place. My hope was simply to provide you with some feedback on why present-day Mecca would be a good Arab start location, based on the knowledge I have as an Arab and a Muslim.

As I emphasized before, it is a great mod and I appreciate the time you spent. I think both Ick and I were just trying to be helpful, although he was a bit more direct with his thoughts.

I'm happy to hear that you're working on Civ 5 mods. You made several important ones for Civ 4 that really improved gameplay.

Dale,

What editor did you use to open the map files, if they can be opened.

I do that, and it just opens up civ. Doesn't actually load the save. =(

ETA: NM I got it, for some reason enable mod was unchecked

I have the same problem and I can't get it to load with any method.

I've moved the save game into the moddedsaves folder

Tried to launch it with CivVLauncher and Sid Meier's Civilization V, also tried the DX9 version

Launched a new game with the same mod and tried to open the old save game from moddedsaves

and a few other combinations, nothing is working

Anyone have any suggestions?

Z

Dale,

What editor did you use to open the map files, if they can be opened.

Civ5mod files seem to be plain 7z Zip files. Opening the Civ5map files inside with a hex editor will give you some idea how the format is structured. I couldn't play arround with it yet, but it looks pretty much like a binary version of the Wbs files known from Civ4. Looking at those i'm very positive the Civ4 <-> Civ5 conversion will work very seamlessly.

Which do you think is more important for the community? A set of TSL's which take a month to make perfect which anyone could do with world builder? Or mod tutorials, examples of how to make complex mods and generally helping build up the mod community? ;)

I choose to know how to make this game my own; don’t know about you all. Dale nice work.:goodjob:

Thanks for a great mod once again Dale.

One question. Babylon. Would it be possible to have that added too???

its a decent start but bugged, on standard map there problems on diplomacy on Japan, India and others. And the distance between states its way too small. On huge map, most of the civ states dont even get to build their capital, they remain stuck.

Now we just need the mod tools, to fix what Mr Sid's team didn't had time or bothered to do. Its a good game, but unfinished, but they released it modable for community to improve, fix the game for free.

Yay for greedy publishers and companies.

Top Bottom