TSG 129 After Action Report

I do have a question about this game. I was razing a captured city, then paused it (had a badly injured soldier in there, wanted him to heal a couple turns).

I've always be able to re-ignite the flames after pausing, but this time there was no such option. Is that a Venice thing, part of the UA? I think there's a game option that eliminates razing totally, but in this case I razed several cities, just could never pause/re-kindle, so I don't think it was that.

Game status: Domination Victory
Game date: 1812AD
Turns played: 276
Base score: 1686
Final score: 3065
Time played: 4:55:00

Ah, that's it. Enrico can't annex, hence...

Thanks, KT.

Game: Civ5 GOTM 129
Date submitted: 2016-02-23 12:15:29
Reference number: 33994
Your name: x2Madda
Game date: 820AD
Turns played: 151
Base score: 928
Final score: 3093
Time played: 2:26:00
Submitted save: TSG129_End.Civ5Save
Renamed file: x2Madda_C512901.Civ5Save

Your name: IDontFinkSo
Game date: 1560AD
Turns played: 222
Base score: 1541
Final score: 3502
Time played: 7:33:00

- Did you use your UU?
Used two Great Merchants to buy 2 CS early. A third one in the late game. I also built Galeass two attack Kopenhagen from sea and to control barbs.

- How useful was your UA?
Hardly useful at all, most CS were spread out. I annexed Ur to etablish trade routes from there.

- Did you use spying to your advantage?
No. AI was lagging behind techwise.

- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
Having a pangea-map with all CIVs on the continent definetly helped.

- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
Spammed wonders in the beginning, because it is so tempting on Prince.

- Was Faith helpful to achieve victory? How?
I chose God-King as Pantheon. A nice boon especially in the early game.

- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order?
Tradition Opener, Honor Opener, 15 % faster wonder build, finish Honor, 3 Points in Commerce.
- What techs did you prioritize ?
Pottery, Animal Husbandry, Mining, Writing. Then I went for Civil Service and Machinery.

Encountered a bug in the late game. During my last session I could set building orders in some of the cities I captured. No that was not a help suddenly my whole kingdom was quite discontent. :(

Game date: 1890AD
Turns played: 315
Base score: 2714
Final score: 4307
Time played: 9:58:00

Scout(5), monument(11), granary(18), only units.
Tradition(12), Liberty(15), Citizenship(24), Republic(39), Collective Rule(66)
Pottery, Husbandry, Bronze, The wheel, Masonry, Construction, sailing, Optics (77) (Archery, Mining, Writing came from huts)
First army group went west. (2 spear, 2 chariot, 4 archer) Montezuma(50), England(66), Mongol(~80),
Second army group went southeast.(2 spear, 2 chariot, 1 archer, 1 general) Assur(69), China(77)
Third army was being produced to go Northeast and be joined by whatever units from second army would be there fast enough.

Free worker from Citizenship, stole one from england and got it home safely without support as the scout went on to steal a settler from the mongols (which i disbanded, just wanted to slow him down)

Merchants used for trade missions, Had money to purchase another 3-4 units in Mongol capital upon capture to ensure swift demise of Denmark.
Had already more units than supply much of the time.

Blundered terribly in my attack on the Mongols. Failure, abandoned game around T80. Very unfortunate, should surely have been a pre turn 100 victory, only 2 and a half capital to go.
Better luck next month.

Question for the more experienced:
In my game, my scout stole a worker from England and a settler from Mongolia. I did this not for the worker, but to slow them down and hope that would make them weaker for my future conquest. They were however clearly the toughest 2 enemies in the game. Was i wrong to think it would help to weaken them with those steals early on and did my early war actually cause them to build more units instead ?

Mongolia will build units no matter what you do, I think. One way to move his army out of the way is to bribe him to attack a CS, though in my game he actually allied the closest CSs.

Another thing you can do is take a city in a peace deal. I took England's expo while my armies weren't anywhere near the area. Bought a few ranged units there and declared war on Mongolia, he suicided into the city and lost pretty much his entire army. Then I gifted the city to someone else when I needed to get some happiness back.

You just have to make sure you don't mess up your conquest timing when you do this, as a war takes a minimum of 5 turns and a peace deal takes 10.

Domination 102 turns.

... did Scout x2 Monument Worker Granary Archer x3 Chariot x4 More units Statue of Zeus.

Made a first army of 4 archer 1 chariot 1 warrior that dealt with Assyria China England Mongolia and then a second army of 3 chariot 1 spearman 1 archer that dealt with Siam Aztecs Danemark.

Renamed file: Acken_C512901.Civ5Save

Date submitted: 2016-02-25 00:40:35
Your name: Kendon
Game date: 1775AD
Turns played: 265
Base score: 1608
Final score: 3033
Time played: 11:41:00

I used my Merchants of Venice to buy city-states near capitols I was ready to conquer and I used the warships against Denmark but the time I took to win doesn't justify much more detail.

What I did do was to go back to the start and try repeating the pattern for the 102 turn win. My first try I took Assur on turn 91, mainly because science was slow. The second and third tries I built a library as soon as I finished Writing. That gave me Assur either on turn 79 or 81.

My fourth start I made Archery my first tech and built four archers as fast as I could, sending them straight to Sukhothai, which fell on turn 45. I think that would have to be the opening for a victory around turn 100. There's probably something I'm overlooking but that's the best I've been able to do so far.

My fourth start I made Archery my first tech and built four archers as fast as I could, sending them straight to Sukhothai, which fell on turn 45.
Ill try to explain my line of thinking:

Before you start the game, you estimate what should be possible. Prince pangea conquest, the aim is pre turn 100. When you know how long you expect the game to last, you decide how much you want to tech and build an economy. Obviously, the longer you are away from victory date, the more value there is in building an economy.

In this case, the granary is what i chose to build for my economy because it produces 5 food, providing 8.25% ROI per turn. If it had been worth only 2 food i would certainly not have built it, if it would produce 3 food i would probably still not have built it. At 5 food it seemed like a worthy investment to me. Next consideration was the worker. I considered not getting one at all, but i didnt want to risk not being able to steal one and getting it home before turn 50 and not being able to connect any resources. Just for the tile improvements i did not consider the worker an investment i should make in a game this short. Not only is it a lesser investment than the 5food granary, it also comes later than the granary which further reduces its value (The ROI value of a worker is hard to estimate, but it depends much on when you would get to the point where you will have plenty stolen workers so that its value goes to zero. If before that point it has improved 3 tiles, thats just 3 extra food/production you gained and not even all at once and not permanent since the stolen workers would have improved those tiles at some point anyway). No other improvements to production/food were remotely worth considering. Fortunately, a worker can also be gotten for free from liberty. Of course it comes at an opportunity cost, we could have gotten a general from honor instead. But at 15% improvement, a general is only worth the same as 1 unit when it is with an army of 7 units.

late game you dont care about being unhappy, being over supply limit or being at negative gold, and losing your science. So after your initial economy phase which now consists of only a granary, you will built nothing but units.

Similarly to deciding on your economy investment, you decide on your tech investment. Usually that means you invest in tech buildings (and give those priority over almost any other tech) up to 1 era before the actual techs that you want to use to take victory. In this case victory comes with ancient techs so you dont invest in science at all.
You just need: The wheel (chariot), construction(archer upgrade), bronze working(spear). The rest was pretty optional.

You sent out your scout(s) and warrior to scout as far away as you can wasting no time on the immeadiate vicinity. The first produced archers can do that.

Then comes the plan to conquering the world. Dont just attack a random enemy with your first units but make a plan. It does not matter when the first enemy falls, it matters when the last one falls. You dont want armies to travel more than needed. It is nice to have a relatively nearby enemy alive for your last produced units to conquer while it is generally a good idea to aim your first army group for the most remote enemy. If we would be blessed with only 6 enemies, it would clearly make sense for our first army to conquer 3, the second to conquer 2, the third to conquer 1. We have however 7 enemies, so 1 of the armies needs to conquer 1 more enemy. That will be the army that carries the heaviest burden and will decide our victory date.

In this case with the split between east and west enemies as well as the relatively large distance between northeast and south east, i decided on 4-2-1. Thus, the first army could either go monty-england-mongol-denmark, or monty-denmark-mongol-england. I scouted denmark last and chose to go for the scouted route. The path between monty and denmark was still in fog.

Maybe you could also choose for a 3-3-1 plan. In that case the burden was on the second army. Wanting to leave a nearby enemy for the last group and the world being split in 3 to the east and 4 to the west, that would mean monty has to remain for the last while 1 army has to take the east and the other has to take the remaining 3 in the west. The first army then would have to choose the toughest of those 2 chains of 3. In this case the west would have been the toughest so your first army would have to go to england first.

And then there are the details of executing. This is the area where vadalaz is obviously still better than i. Had i not screwed up, i would have probably gotten a 95-98 victory, but i would not have beaten his 93.
Maybe vadalaz (or other very good players like acken and mesix if they played this gotm) could share if there are any things they think different about or want to add.

Date submitted: 2016-03-01 16:57:31
Reference number: 34019
Your name: Beto_Java
Game date: 1625AD
Turns played: 235
Base score: 1416
Final score: 3012
Time played: 3:38:00
Submitted save: Final_Enrico_0235 AD-1625.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Beto_Java_C512901.Civ5Save

Your name: Alienka
Game date: 1868AD
Turns played: 304
Base score: 2085
Final score: 3475
Time played: 20:50:00 (sometimes game was left opened while I was away)
Submitted save: TSG129 victory.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Alienka_C512901.Civ5Save

This was my first game for Venice and one of the very few with domination victory, so mainly I was just having fun, not trying to make a record. After some time I realised that there is nothing to prevent me from winning, and started to capture capitals one by one. Also captured 2nd city from Denmark - they had a few wonders there.

- Did you use your UU?
Yes, for scouting a little. Soon I was able to turn them to fregates and was much better.

- How useful was your UA?
Not much. When I needed money, I didn't have time to make many cargo ships before routes were plundered.
As for Merchant of Venice - I purchased Tyre first to be able to make money. Before that my profit was negative. Much later I managed to buy Mogadishu, and before the end - Brussels(?) at the sea, to be able to buy an army that would help to capture Tenochtitlan.

- Did you use spying to your advantage?
Not really. Mainly it was counter-intelligence and a lot of dead spies from other civs.

- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
Helped, I think. There was no need to search for other continents. And cities were on plains, which made them easier to capture.

- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
It was easy to be more aggressive than I am used to.

- Was Faith helpful to achieve victory? How?
Faith was helpful at the beginning: I got 2 culture from gold (early pantheon) and some money before I could make trade routes (tithe)

- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order?
Don't remember exactly. Something like Honor - Tradition (and vice versa), then Patronage opener (when found more CS) - whole Honor, Tradition (without last one with food) - Commertion(?) for extra money and 2 more Patronage for happiness.

- What techs did you prioritize ?
I think, Construction, Optics and then techs for military units - don't remember exact order.

Your name: Khalid
Game date: 1090AD
Turns played: 169
Base score: 742
Final score: 2248

I have made a lot of mistakes in this game. The plan was straight - build units and kill everybody. Initially I wanted to attack Songhai first, but when my army was ready I discovered Aztecs. I decided to take his worker and kill him first, but when my army came, he had 2 jaguars in the forests, which was annoying and delayed the capture of the capital for a very long time. Due to ppor scouting my army continued South to assyria, china, so the movement took a lot of turns as well.

Game date: 1896AD
Turns played: 318
Base score: 2346
Final score: 3723
Time played: 6:47:00

I don't typically play an aggressive game, but I think it turned out alright. Got the Aztec capital first and then never had to worry about them for the rest of the game. Went for Assyria next since they were expanding fast. Completely conquered them and got the Chinese capital that they had taken. I next went for England and Siam at the same time, negotiating peace after taking the capitals. Mongolia was difficult due to the distance for my army to travel, but I positioned a secondary army near Denmark at the same time and got Denmark to go to war to try and split both civs armies. Once I got the Mongolia capital, Denmark came quickly next.

Did you use your UU?
Used the great merchant a few times. Didn't really use the galleass. I only used the sea to reach Mongolia and Denmark, but by then I had frigates.

How useful was your UA?
Trade routes were useful early on, but later I never bothered to keep them up. They were getting plundered and I had enough gold anyways.

Did you use spying to your advantage?
Only used the spies as defense.

Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
I guess it helped since all civilizations were found early, but it did make it slower for me to move my army around.

How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
I was able to let my capital grow a little before worrying about an army.

Was Faith helpful to achieve victory? How?
Faith was pretty much inconsequential in my game. I really only used it for a little extra happiness and then forgot about it.

What Social Policies did you choose and in what order?
A little Liberty and Tradition, but I maxed out Honor and Commerce.

What techs did you prioritize ?
Anything combat or wealth related. Near the end it became useful to purchase units closer to combat than wait for my army to move across my territory.

Attachments

• 20160314130259_1.jpg
    20160314130259_1.jpg
    381.2 KB · Views: 137
Thanks for a fun game.

I just found this one a few days ago; don't know how I missed it when it first came out. I went pretty much total domination, capturing all the AI cities and keeping most of them, not just the capitals -- turn the whole map purple. I was close to that, then saw that if I wasn't careful I would win a cultural victory. (I probably should have sold my hotel in Venice to slow that down) I captured Tenochtitlan and 2 other Aztec cities on turn 388, one turn before I would have gotten influential over the Aztecs and won a cultural victory.

- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how? I couldn't really reach anything by cargo ship until Astronomy, and even then it wasn't easy. That was played heavily into my decision to wait until the industrial era to really make my move. (I took Siam's capital early with crossbows because I was at my unit cap) Also I wanted to fully explore using gold as a weapon :) so I didn't want to rush it.

- Social policies: Tradition opener, left side of Honor, full Commerce. Then started working on Rationalism and Tradition. I got free opera houses from Legalism, and Ballistics for my Rationalism finisher. Also about 9 in Autocracy.

- Religion: The first wonder I built was Stonehenge. I founded the first religion and took Tithe, Holy Warriors, Religious Texts, and I don't remember what else. By the end of the game, I had crowded out most of the other religions; totally eliminated a couple, even converted the Aztecs holy city just using religious pressure. Monty voted for my world religion in the world congress.

Attachments

• 20160710154325_1.jpg
    20160710154325_1.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 161
Top Bottom