TSG 140 After Actions

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the TSG 140 After Actions Report. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please use the Civ5 game submission page to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).

- What was your main source of tourism?
- Who was converted earliest? Describe the order and turns of conversion.
- Describe any city expansions or wars. Were they crucial to your strategy?
- When did you meet the last Civ?
- Who was the culture leader? How did you deal with them?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

t247-culture victory

Game: Civ5 GOTM 140
Date submitted: 2016-08-03 16:26:49
Reference number: 34681
Your name: poxpower
Game status: Culture Victory
Game date: 1685AD
Turns played: 247
Base score: 1309
Final score: 2671
Time played: 5:26:00
Submitted save: gotm_140_poxpower.Civ5Save
Renamed file: poxpower_C514001.Civ5Save

Spoiler :

-Capital was main source. I passed world religion first congress. Venice got me with this stupid religion from the other side of the world by embarking a prophet and sending him on a 40 turn journey to hit me like an idiot. Took about 20 turns for one of Washington's 3 ( lol ) great prophets to spread it back again. His religion also had sacred sites which was a nice bonus, +2 tourism for each of my cities.

- Brazil was the culture leader ( besides me), I made Washington dow him twice. Around turn200 He took a city from him, then took brazil's last city turn 224. I got voluntary army from freedom and took Rio turn 220 with the help of 3 gifted cs canons. Went down in 3 turns. His army was... a trebuchet and a crossbow. fwa fwa fwa

-I met the last civ around turn 140-150 maybe by embarking a random warrior after astronomy. Trireme met most of the others.

-War against brazil shaved a few turns off definitely. The crucial thing to speed the game up was gifting a crappy city to arabia around turn 205 and then establishing a trade route to it for the tourim bonus. It was also much faster to then spam him with great musicians. Without doing this the victory would have been delayed by probably 15 turns.

t224- brazil dead
t233- influencial over spain
t242-internet popped with rationalism finisher + GS + Gwriter.
t243-influencial over everyone but arabia and morocco
t244- influencial over morocco
t246- influecial over arabia after double bomb from guild+broadway
t247 victory

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

I don't really know how to play a traditional CV properly, so my game didn't go well, unsurprisingly. Would've been a ~T260 win, but I won't play it out. So many things went wrong it feels like a loss. I think my main mistakes were:

- slow start, should just go 2-3 city NC then 4-5 city Tradition. Not enough luxuries for a proper Liberty game
- I went Patronage for Scholasticism but it turned out there's just one cultural CS. Should've taken Aesthetics policies earlier
- no religion. Interestingly, Ahmad's religion had Sacred Sites but didn't have any faith buildings :confused: There was no other religion on the continent

There were some other small blunders, but for the most part they were a result of the ones I listed. I think I'll replay this one in a couple of weeks.

Science Loss to Harun on T364 (1944, base score 1453).

From T0, I knew it needed to be a domination type game. I tried to get started early, but only took out Morocco at the end. At that point, Brazil and Arabia were influential over everyone but each other. I was stuck unless I could kill them both on the same turn. Which is what I was too slowly working towards at the end.

These are interesting questions! Next time, can we have them in the announcement thread?

I liked the map well enough that I tried it three more times. What worked for me was waiting. After the early worker steals, I just turtled. I still lost Porcelain Tower to Harun, but my play was so much improved this game that I was first to Ideologies and opened Order. I built the factories and Kremlin.

Meanwhile, most of the rest of the world goes autocracy and pass that as WI. That was nice gift, so I switched, just in time to start building air units. After Morocco took out Brazil’s cap, I bribe him to DOW America and everyone else I could. Then I wiped him out. The last three cities were liberations, so everyone loved me.

I still was able to get nine tenets in Autocracy, which worked great for the final push to Arabia. Again, bribe him to DOW everyone, then a couple nuclear missiles and xcom clear Mecca. His airport there lets me teleport my veteran army. I take one more city and then make peace for one good city and all his trash islands (which would have taken many turns to reach). The trash cities I raze.

Everyone still loves me, as I only took two cities from a large empire. From the shared wars, I am influential over everyone but Harun, who needs 70+ turns yet. As soon as the peace deal expires, I kill his last three cities for the win. Ethiopia launched a fourth part near the end (T391), but I am sure he had quite the ways to go for the other two. It was a fun game! Screen shot center on my core four cities.

Attachments

• civ5ss-gotm140-t391cv.jpg
    civ5ss-gotm140-t391cv.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 214
Game date: 1917AD
Turns played: 337
Base score: 3249
Final score: 4849
Time played: 7:12:00

I'll write this one up later. Long story short, I played the end game rather poorly and it took ages to get enough tourism to take down Venice (oh yes, I pants up my invasion of Venice by sending very few units which is rather unlike me).

:crazyeye:

Game status: Science Loss (to Harun)
Game date: 1982AD
Turns played: 402
Base score: 1555
Final score: 1555

Loss was the same turn that I overtook Arabia's culture.
One More Turn says I have 3 more turns to overtake Brazil :-(

Although I normally play at Immortal, I have not tried a Culture Victory in more than a year...

Just the non-wonder buildings and improvements. I lost all the culture wonders (even Eiffel--by one turn). The last 60 turns were mostly a slog to generate musicians via both culture and faith, and also take out Morocco, as the opportunity presented itself.

I also lost on any religion (took Morocco's). I could have won diplomatically as I had plenty of money and 28 votes and was friendly with every CS (and ally of many, including the single culture and all the faith CS...)

Well, I'm not sure I remember, maybe Venice, but at the end there is no one but Arabia, Brazil, and Ethiopia. I tried my best to keep Arabia busy, but they ended up taking over everyone else but Ethiopia on that continent...

Taking over Morocco (I eventually took Marakesh itself) was very helpful. Tourism at the end about 650+. I was thinking of going on to Brazil, but he was the largest army and by that time I thought I might be in target to generate enough musicians (as it turned out, only three turns short!)

At the founding of the world congress.

Arabia. Musician Bombs, and bribing them and their neighbors into many wars.

Game status: Culture Loss
Game date: 1956AD
Turns played: 376
Base score: 1871
Final score: 1871

Once I chopped down the jungle I thought I was on the upswing. My religion was spreading nicely.

Brazil was taking a lot of culture and wonders. He had to be taken out.

I got Morocco first, then pushed up to Brazil. The war was won, but happiness quickly became an issue that ultimately crushed me. Even with several wonders and a couple of commerce civ-state allies, I couldn't get back to smiling.

Arabia became very cultural and a narrow world fair loss meant that Freedom was quite popular, even though Order was the world religion. I eventually lost one city to revolt; this city was the port city that all of my trade routes left from. :(

Taking out Arabia was the only option, but I had no navy, no money, and my empire was unhappy. America and Arabia eventually declared war on me and were winning a slow game of attrition when Arabia went out.

T260 Culture Victory

Game date: 1750AD
Turns played: 260
Base score: 2007
Final score: 3853
Time played: 5:55:00

Slow 4C sim-city game. Shaved 20-25 turns by conquering the only cultural runaway AI {Washington}. Took Brazil's Cap with FL and 2 GG. Gifted one of Brazil's cities to Morocco, had him DoW Washington to bait in the army while I teched to arties. Timed IG + GM from faith to finish the game.

Would've liked 3/4C coastal but the map didn't allow for it. Enacted GWGAGM then World Religion. Had taken pagodas but didn't FP a single one :( Stole two GPs from Morocco & planted early to recuperate. No one seemed to do well in hammers, I had the lead on food/hammer demos shortly after workshops. HB Pisa into GE Uffizi. HB GT outside cap. GE Broadway, HB Louvre.

Demos:
Spoiler :

GOTM_140_1.jpg
GOTM_140_1b.jpg
GOTM_140_2.jpg
GOTM_140_3.jpg
GOTM_140_4.jpg

Game date: 1832AD
Turns played: 286
Base score: 1423
Final score: 2496

Peaceful liberty game. Unhappiness was a big problem throughout the entire game. Maybe I should have taken tradition instead.

Got Sacred Sites with cathedrals. Unfortunately, all other religious buildings were taken by the time I enhanched my religion.

SS and capital

Shared religion helped with Brazil.
Bribed Spain to take out Venice.
Gifted a city to Arabia and sent couple of GMs.

T393 Science Loss (Harun)

Date submitted: 2016-08-14 04:42:16
Reference number: 34723
Your name: choraltrickster
Game status: Science Loss
Game date: 1973AD
Turns played: 393
Base score: 537
Final score: 537
Time played: 7:46:00
Submitted save: Montezuma_0394 AD-1974.Civ5Save
Renamed file: choraltrickster_C514001.Civ5Save

My first GoTM. I have only won on Immortal once, and have never played Culture so this was a challenge. I went Liberty-Aesthetics-Rationalism, completing all three. I held my own pretty well, though didn't get a religion. I sat third in tourism for most of the game. I eliminated Pedro early and America and I kept Morocco weak, splitting the continent, but America stabbed me in the back when we were allied and from then on our warring lasted pretty much all game. Harun was well ahead most of the game, but Ethiopia managed to catch him at the end and had 4-5 components when Harun launched. I was at my strongest point after I followed Ethiopia with Freedom. We managed to push through Freedom as World Ideology (I was doing really well at that point, hosting the council with 4-6 CS allies for a good long stretch). World Ideology caused problems for America (Autoc) and stalled Arabia (Order) a bit allowing Ethiopia to catch up. I lost 7 cities in the final 50 turns after my economy dried up and I lost my allied CSs due to the embargo. Up until that point, America and I were virtually tied at around 1300pts with Harun around 1800 and Selassie 1600. Brazil, Morocco, Venice and Spain had been conquered. It all fell apart when I got stabbed in the back by Ethiopia, lost my seat as council host and was embargoed. :(

Very enjoyable playing my first GoTM, though the last 50 turns were a chore, playing out a game watching my cities being steamrolled by Mobile SAMs.

Date submitted: 2016-08-15 10:23:05
Reference number: 34727
Your name: Beto_Java
Game status: Science Loss
Game date: 2012AD
Turns played: 432
Base score: 1810
Final score: 1810
Time played: 7:07:00
Submitted save: Final_Montezuma_0433 AD-2013.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Beto_Java_C514001.Civ5Save

My first GoTM. I have only won on Immortal once, and have never played Culture so this was a challenge.

Very enjoyable playing my first GoTM, though the last 50 turns were a chore, playing out a game watching my cities being steamrolled by Mobile SAMs.

Welcome to Game of the Month! Thanks for joining us and posting about it. Thanks for stepping outside the comfort zone and wading into Immortal Culture territory. It can be a slog and takes some learning, so thanks for sticking it out.

HR

Welcome to Game of the Month! Thanks for joining us and posting about it. Thanks for stepping outside the comfort zone and wading into Immortal Culture territory. It can be a slog and takes some learning, so thanks for sticking it out.

HR
Thanks HR! Great community here! I really appreciate all of the helpful responses and the cool community challenges/trainers like GoTM. Looking forward to more.

- no religion.

I had also made this mistake.
I did not realize that to get the bonus, world religion needed to be the religion YOU founded, not the religion in your capital.
So you lose a massive potential bonus for not founding a religion... Certainly changes the early game decisions on immortal/deity :X

Game date: 1832AD
Turns played: 286
Base score: 1423
Final score: 2496

Peaceful liberty game. Unhappiness was a big problem throughout the entire game. Maybe I should have taken tradition instead.

Got Sacred Sites with cathedrals. Unfortunately, all other religious buildings were taken by the time I enhanched my religion.

SS and capital

Shared religion helped with Brazil.
Bribed Spain to take out Venice.
Gifted a city to Arabia and sent couple of GMs.

Welcome to Gotm and CFC! (missed this earlier, sorry.) Nicely done!

HR

Game status: Culture Loss
Game date: 1998AD
Turns played: 418
Base score: 1280
Final score: 1280

My last game was TSG 128; also a jungle start, and also a loss for me. I didn't try for SS, and could not generate enough tourism until far too late in the day to catch Brazil and Venice.

Great works.

America first, then Ethiopia with Spain and Morocco being wiped out.

5 city liberty, struggled with happiness after T200 or so.

Spain was the last one, and I met them before I got printing press and I snagged that before everyone else.

Brazil followed by Venice... I tried to bomb them with Musicians to close the gap, but it was too little too late.

Bring on TSG 141.

Decided to quit after 180 turns. I might have been able to win, but it wasn't fun anymore so I stopped. I had recently killed Morocco after they screwed me over in the beginning by taking the Solomon's Mines location. I spent the whole game fighting them. Eventually Brazil and America teamed me. I held them off and beat them, but was behind on tech and couldn't functionally be an aggressor. Even though I had 6 cities, it just wasn't interesting at that point.

Decided to end it there.

Date submitted: 2016-08-28 18:16:11
Your name: FireFree3
Game date: 1928AD
Turns played: 348
Base score: 3697
Final score: 5357
Time played: 12:58:00

I played very poorly this game. I agree that this would be a domination like game (as I need to remove the cultural leader.) Poor production, poor start, I didn't try any wonder. Brazil was a powerhouse in my game, but it fell to my rushed GW Bombers. But after that, I was in big trouble as I were in -25 unhappiness while I needed to handle both America and Morocco. To make things worse, I didn't know that I could switch my Ideology (until very late). I stayed in the mud of unhappiness for nearly 100 turns.

Brazil's camp is crazy in cultural game. with hotel and airport, my Rio has 304 turisum alone! From this angle, it's impossible to win a peaceful cultural game with such neighbours.

Top Bottom