Turn Tracker

I don't see Bob. Do you see Bob?

My bad. I was off the grid over the weekend. Plan to post on Thursday.

Hey everyone :wavey:

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a suggestion to make, and there aren't any other threads here that I'm confident anyone reads anymore. If this post gets an un-anticipated amount of discussion, maybe we could move it to a new thread.

Here's my proposal:

Whereas this game began before BtS was released, before Civ5 was released, before my daughter (now 3 1/2 years old) was born, before Obama became president, before Nicolas Sarkozy became president, before the world-wide "great recession" began, before the final Harry Potter book was published, before Bill Gates retired from the CEO position at Microsoft, before the first beam circulated at the Large Hadron Collider (and failed to end this game by creating a tiny black hole).

Whereas this game has now lasted longer than the presidency of John F. Kennedy, longer than the reigns of King Edward VIII and Richard III, longer than the reign of Roman emperor Titus, longer than it would take to fly to mars and back... 3 times.

Whereas I see no indication that this game will be ending anytime soon.

I therefore propose that we award Chamnix, CommandoBob, and Donsig "Elite turnplayer persistence" medals. We declare the three of them the winners of the game, and just leave it ambiguous about which team, if any, won. Everyone else can just make up their own mind about who won or lost - or who would have won and lost - if we had decided to try to make this game last till Civ 6 is released.
Then we just call it quits, open up the forums, take a month off (also known as the wait between turns ;) ) and then maybe some of us will feel refreshed enough to tackle a CivV pbem. :D

Anyone else agree with this idea?

General_W: I'd be okay with it except that it would deprive us of the chance to crush those eeeeviiiil SABER-rattlers in the game :p

Anyone else agree with this idea?
As a lurker I've tried to follow the game for the 3 1/2 years that its been played ... there are no current screen shots to check out. For what its worth I agree with General_W's proposal. Enough already.:crazyeye:

I'm on board with the idea (but that's easy for me to say, since I'm not a turnplayer).

But if the consensus is to Soldier On!, then I will stand with my fellow Councilors to and cower in the fallout shelters :shifty:

General W, you can quit on the way down the hall to be fired. Buck up and hold on. You know the end is very near. I will hold my opinion about the length of the game. You don't want to get me started....

Just how near is the end Cyc? All we've seen so far is SABER preventing the other teams from winning. We cannot see what SABER is doing to actually win. I'm not up for many more turns of this. I'm not a very good player but I don't see that any team has an easy path to victory other than a time win.

I don't blame you, donsig my old friend. I know exactly how you feel. I have been expressing the same sentiment in the Saber Forums. I am trying my best to prod our team to a quicker victory, but one has to use some tact in these situations. By the way, can I borrow some tact? ;)

It will all be over soon. All that will be left of our opponents will be a wisp of smoke in a time frame I'm sure you can live with (or die with :smug: ). I would really hate to see you guys turn and run with your tails between your legs after you've put so much work into this great game. And you know it's been a great game.

Hang on just a little while longer and I'll try and put another boot up Saber's arse.

Just how near is the end Cyc? All we've seen so far is SABER preventing the other teams from winning. We cannot see what SABER is doing to actually win. I'm not up for many more turns of this. I'm not a very good player but I don't see that any team has an easy path to victory other than a time win.

:sarcasm:
What? SABER is preventing you from winning??? :eek: I am really sorry about that! Would we have known that this game is about letting others win, we'd have let you win a while ago. Shame on us! :rolleyes:
:sarcasm:

Seriously. I don't want to be spoilerish, but this game is not going to be a time win. I do not want to evaluate your quality as a player, donsig, but there are means to win this game and SABER is not only trying to delay it as long as possible. From your Council position you might not be able to see too much of the world :p

FREE and The Council are free to surrender to SABER at any time. But SABER won't accept a draw.

And additionally, SABER did mention the turn playing schedule several times, which is mainly the problem causing this game to last that long. If we'd fix a 48 hours per turn/team limit, this game would go much faster. Who is not able to play within that time frame just clicks 'end turn' and sends it on.

I'm with Cyc and Calis. There's no doubt that this game can be won, not too far away. Just hang in there.

CYC said:
General W, you can quit on the way down the hall to be fired. Buck up and hold on.
You can't fire me!! I quit! :old:

lol - ok, then. I'm fine with soldiering on, actually. It doesn't hurt me any - just poor Donsig, Chamnix, and CommandoBob. I just didn't want everyone to be thinking "I wish this would just be over" but no one be brave enough to bring it up. I expected I might get called names, and appreciate that no one did that. :)

It's clear there are still people motivated to see this to the end, and that's plenty good enough for me.

Carry on, gentlemen. :salute:

Turn 305 to The Council.

(I finished the turn several hours ago but the server has been busy.)

Have to be Wednesday or Thursday. Gotten home too late to play the last two nights, though this should be a quick turn (less than 3 hours).

Top Bottom