Uighur_Caesar's Civilizations

Uighur_Caesar

Comandante en Jefe
For iraq, I suggest changing the House of wisdom to University. I'd be interested in doing some art for these, Iraq especially. We need a good Iraq that isn't "lol DAE Saddam Hussein guyz?"

Thank you so much. I just sent you a PM about the art I need for Iraq. I agree with you that we need a good Iraq civ. I'm fine with the Saddam mods, I just think that the non-totalitarian eras of a civ should be the ones represented rather than the oppressive regimes that most of us are familiar with. That's why I really like Leugi's Cuba mod since it represents the period of Cuba's history when it's people weren't being ruled by a communist regime. That and I'm actually a descendant of Carlos Manuel de Cespedes :lol:

Thank you so much. I just sent you a PM about the art I need for Iraq. I agree with you that we need a good Iraq civ. I'm fine with the Saddam mods, I just think that the non-totalitarian eras of a civ should be the ones represented rather than the oppressive regimes that most of us are familiar with. That's why I really like Leugi's Cuba mod since it represents the period of Cuba's history when it's people weren't being ruled by a communist regime. That and I'm actually a descendant of Carlos Manuel de Cespedes :lol:

Agreed. Very nice to see King Faisal get some attention.

Uh... wasn't the Sharifian Army Arab?
Yeah I get what you mean. The Mesopotamian Campaign of World War I didn't feature any Sharifian Armies since the Sharifian Armies were fighting in the Levant and Arabia. I decided to include them anyway because they were the forces commanded by Faisal, who wasn't Iraqi either. The Arab Revolt was fighting for the independence of all Arabs from the Ottoman Empire, which includes Iraqis even though they didn't fight there. Pan-Arab ideology has also been an important part of modern Iraqi history as it was a major component in the ideologies of Faisal, the Ba'ath Party, and now unfortunately ISIS. There's also a precedent for not entirely accurate UUs with Denmark's Norwegian Ski Infantry. While Denmark has used ski infantry in the past, the modern version of ski infantry represented in this game armed with rifles has only been used by Norway and Finland. The kingdom of Denmark-Norway used ski infantry during the Napoleonic Wars but only the Norwegians used it. So that's my long-winded explanation for why I thought it was acceptable to give Iraq the Sharifian Army.

And thanks so much the icon looks great!

If something is secular, that just means it's not bound by religious rules (or by rulers that are bound by religious rules). That doesn't mean it can't involve religion or faith. Hence, the House of Wisdom is probably some kind of school for unconstrained theology.

James K. Polk's America
Spoiler :
Polk's America
UA: Manifest Destiny: +1 sight for all units. Gain culture from capturing and settling cities based on distance from capital.
UU: Horse Artillery: Replaces Gatling Gun or Artillery (Gatling Gun may be more accurate for America since they were used that way in the Mexican-American War.)4 movement. Other bonuses depend on whether it replaces Gatling Gun or Artillery.
2nd UU:?

Washington needs to be changed but I'm not sure what to give him.

I've been trying to work out a Polk-led America for a while, and I think you're onto something here. What would you think about:

America - James K. Polk
UA: Sea to Shining Sea: Civilian units receive +1 movement. Gain culture from capturing or settling cities (based on distance) and immediately enter a 5-turn Golden Age when a city is captured (can be extended with more captures).
UU: Flying Artillery: Replaces Cannon. 4 movement. Slightly weaker (18 or 19 vs 20), but may withdraw from combat.
UB: Supply Depot: Replaces Caravansary. In addition to Caravansary benefits, cities with a Supply Depot gain 5%-10% bonus to food and grants an additional Trade Route.

I went with Sea to Shining Sea as the UA name because that's what Polk accomplished, and it keeps Washington from really having to be changed.

Loved the Horse Artillery, which the Americans called Flying Artillery during the war. I wanted to further emphasize their mobility in combat. Having it replace the Cannon would be more accurate, since the Cannon is meant to represent artillery until the Industrial era and the Gatling Gun didn't come into its own until after the Civil War.

The UB is based (loosely) on the Oregon Trail and others like it that settlers used to move west. Giving it the food bonus represents the towns that grew up from the trading posts and forts that lined the trails.

I'm still sad that there's no real way to represent the Prairie Schooner outside unique, easter egg-style graphics for the Caravan, but that's okay.

I really like the addition you made to the UA. I wanted to add something involving settlers but I wasn't exactly sure on how to implement it. Thanks for clarifying stuff about the Flying Artillery, I hadn't really considered the military tech available at the time. I think the supply depot is interesting, but if you can get an additional trade route from every city that could be too much. You could have more trade routes available than Venice at one point. I did want the second unique to represent the Oregon Trail though. Maybe some kind of bonus towards internal trade routes? I think it makes sense from a gameplay standpoint as Polk will be warmongering a lot so internal trade routes could be important.

Maybe...

UB: Supply Depot: Replaces Caravansary. In addition to Caravansary benefits, cities with a Supply Depot gain 5%-10% bonus to food and +1 Gold for each Domestic Trade Route connected to the city?

That would help you pay for the military while helping cities grow. The UA covers the culture :)

*edit*

I'd also planned for one of his Decisions to represent the Texas Annexation: Once per era, you pay gold and magistrates to annex a City-State that shares a border with Polk. It works like Venice and Austria, in that the CS ceases to be a CS. Cost would go up based on era and number of cities annexed.

I was thinking the other could be about founding the US Naval Academy (more XP and maybe free promotion for all new ships) or the Department of the Interior (not sure about effect).

An event could be whether or not to found the Smithsonian Institution (science bonus of some sort), and another about the tariff (dunno effect, but between the uniques and this, could cover all of his campaign promises!)

I'd definitely be interested in helping out with Polk once the summer starts (June for me) - he's by far my favorite president :)

I think that could work. I have no idea how to program events and decisions but if I do learn eventually the Texas Annexation decision is something that I would definitely include and the Naval Academy sounds good too. Thanks for the suggestions! Whenever I do Polk's America I'll make sure to add you to the credits.

In terms of your NI civ, would Caroline Class be a better name for the 'Light Cruiser' unique? Despite the fact that the Caroline was built in England - the ship itself remains in Belfast and was probably the most well known of the C-class cruisers.

I think the design works for the focus on Imperial NI and certainly works for Brooke as a leader - I just wish it had some form of religious aspect to it (Brooke probably wouldn't be the best for this), or a cultural focus - but maybe these would work better for a wider Ulster civ than the NI you are trying to represent.

All in all, it will be cool to see as a Civ, and I quite like the design - however I think the names of the UU and UB are a wee bit dull and could apply to any civ. I would suggest using something in Gaelige, but again that probably contradicts the theme of a unionist Northern Irish civ.

Just my opinion however - I'll probably enjoy the civ, whatever form it's released in.

The Welsh Civ is also pretty interesting, but I'd be worried that it is probably a tad too strong. I think the UB, combined with the added bonuses of the UA would probably push the civ over the edge a bit - perhaps nerfing the UA in some way would help?

I've no idea if it would work or not, but perhaps limiting the additional yields on GW to only apply for every era prior to medieval that the GW has existed for - I guess in that way you could cover the reverence to ancient lore without it being too strong.

It feels weird to see a Welsh civ without any focus on production or whatnot - given that mining was the lifeblood of so many welsh communities prior to Thatcher's era. Hiram's Wales gives double Iron and Coal, but I'm not sure if this is an apt way to represent that element of Welsh history either - and regardless it doesn't really fit the Great Writer focus of your civ.

All in all, another interesting design, with a fitting UU and interesting UA and UB though it could probably stand a small nerf.

I hope this has been helpful in some way.

I like Caroline Class suggestion, I'll definitely change the name now. I agree that shipyard sounds generic but I wouldn't want to call it Harland and Wolff Shipyard for any copyright problems that could arise. I originally thought about including a religious aspect but I decided against it because I don't think religion has been a positive thing in NI. Protestants were brought there by Cromwell after he massacred Catholics and stole their land and the religious differences have caused all sorts of problems in NI, specifically The Troubles.

And about Wales I due think it's kind of strong too. I'm still trying to find a way to nerf the UA a bit. Also, since Hiram's Wales already has a production focus I didn't want to be redundant. I also dislike designs that are centered around specific resources as well because I think it's disrespectful to represent an entire civilization's importance as being the place where certain resources were extracted. I think Welsh culture is far more fascinating than their natural resources and I also think that the design is more original for being focused on Great Writers in the way that I'm doing it.

Top Bottom