Unit Healing Questions

Vokarya

Deity
Hi everyone,

I was playing around with unit healing this morning, and I noticed that are three separate promotions that heal other units:
  • Medic and Woodsman III on individual units
  • Initiative on Great General Field Commanders
  • Bard and Priest on Heroes

I tested all of these out, and it does not look like they stack in any way. Could someone who is more familiar with the code confirm this? I'm trying to figure out if there is any battlefield use for an older-era Hero (like a Strength-10 hero on a battlefield with Strength-26 Riflemen). I thought I could use an old Hero as an adjutant (with Bard and Priest) but it doesn't look like it will work. I don't know if maybe they should stack.

Secondly, Red Cross is only granting Medic I promotions to Health Care class units, correct? If that's true, then Red Cross is pretty much useless, isn't it? All Health Care units except the Healer (pretty much obsolete by then) have Medic I by default, so that doesn't give you any benefits for building Red Cross. What do you think?

I don't think these are necessarily bugs, but I would like to know if these situations are supposed to happen or if something needs to be tweaked.

To the best of my knowledge there has not ever been stacking of the those bonuses, ( i assume the code is written that way) only the highest one takes effect. You might be able to have a civ bonus that would stack i guess,ie +10% if inside own borders, which would stack, or rather be applied again rather than a single 20%, with a unit heal bonus as it would come from a different calculation.

To the best of my knowledge there has not ever been stacking of the those bonuses, ( i assume the code is written that way) only the highest one takes effect. You might be able to have a civ bonus that would stack i guess,ie +10% if inside own borders, which would stack, or rather be applied again rather than a single 20%, with a unit heal bonus as it would come from a different calculation.

I can understand that. But what should be done about Red Cross? At the moment, it seems to be utterly useless to build it if it's granting a promotion that every unit already gets. I can think of two workarounds:
  • Have Red Cross grant +4 XP to all Health Care units instead of the Medic I promotion.
  • Open the Medic I promotion (and only Medic I) to other units. If Medic II and III require Herbal Cures, then you shouldn't be able to promote a non-Health Care unit to those promotions. And if Medic I requires Herbal Cures, then you can't naturally promote a non-HC unit to that promotion, but you should be able to grant it through Red Cross.

Opening Medic I to all units means that no health care units are built. We already tried this ;).

Even if it has the Herbal Cures prerequisite still attached? Shouldn't it work like this, then:

• Only a Health Care unit can get Herbal Cures.
  • Therefore, only a Health Care unit can get promoted to Medic I.
  • But Red Cross could bypass the Herbal Cures requirement and grant Medic I directly.

Is there something else I am missing? I notice the Bioenhancement Center at Artificial Life does the same thing with the Heal promotion.

Even if it has the Herbal Cures prerequisite still attached? Shouldn't it work like this, then:

• Only a Health Care unit can get Herbal Cures.
  • Therefore, only a Health Care unit can get promoted to Medic I.
  • But Red Cross could bypass the Herbal Cures requirement and grant Medic I directly.

Is there something else I am missing? I notice the Bioenhancement Center at Artificial Life does the same thing with the Heal promotion.

Yes, that might work. If only I can get C2C (SVN version) to work for me so I can change and test stuff.:(:mischief: It would also help if RL went away for awhile. ;)

Yes, that might work. If only I can get C2C (SVN version) to work for me so I can change and test stuff.:(:mischief: It would also help if RL went away for awhile. ;)

I know the feeling. I have not worked on any of my new Wonder ideas lately because I am actually playing the game. I am trying to see how many cities/Great Generals/Heroes/other GP I can get on a Giant map. For right now, I have decided to spend all my Heroes as Achievements/Great Military Instructors and see how many I can get in one city.

I managed to get 26 military instructors (13 in my land/air building city and 13 in my sea unit city) in one game and I never went to war with the AI just animals and barbarians.

Top Bottom