US vs World Modern scenario, new version up

Buddha2723

Warlord
New version up! Beta v 4(3/12/2011)

Now available on the modhub under modern scenarios. Description - Play as US, or one of 14 opposed powers. All countries on the Allied side are not created equally. Russia, France, Germany, UK(controls Canada, Australia, New Zealand), Japan, and China are the easiest to play, while Egypt, Arabia, Greece and Persia provide the greatest challenge, leaving Mexico, India, Italy, and Turkey somewhere in the middle.

Known issues to be fixed for v 4: Possible name changes; population fixes to improve nations demographic ratios to be more realistic; fixes to tech tree to decrease the flow of new techs.

This map is an excellent starter for any modern world scenario.

This latest version is further simplified with less cities and no barbarians, and contains small fixes to visibility and culture area.

This is a custom map, as no ready made map was available with the room for all the capitals and major neutral factions.

Flavor Text-The year is 2012, and President Obama has finished destroying the last nuclear weapon on the planet. The US enjoys a local Golden Age by cutting defense spending, while the economies around the world suffer a new recession, the deepest in history. Unwilling to let America continue to consume a majority of the planets resources, many of the most powerful nations band together in secret, confident they can defeat a nukeless US, and launch a surprise attack in the Atlantic and Pacific. Though caught unprepared, the US military, experienced and better equipped, defeat the attack, but at the cost of nearly 95% of the regular forces. Can the US rebuild it's military to fight the whole world? The Allies have strong land reserves left at home, but limited navy and air force left to cover them. Can the Allies cross the vast oceans and still deliver a strong punch? Will a nation risk siphoning resources from the war effort to rebuild it's nuclear program?

These pictures show all US starting territory, minus Alaska(Anchorage).

Attachments

• eastus.jpg
    eastus.jpg
    466.6 KB · Views: 4,691
  • pacificus.jpg
    pacificus.jpg
    390.3 KB · Views: 3,191
  • usnortheast.jpg
    usnortheast.jpg
    464.1 KB · Views: 3,323
Beta version 3 fixes the missing map problem on the modhub, and offers small money fixes. Also up on sourceforge as US_world_b3.

No DLC at all. I recommend Procylon's Call to Power Project mod, some cities may starve a bit without it, but no mods should cause a problem, and the balance should still be reasonable for vanilla(no other mods running).

Screenshots from the Persian perspective

Attachments

• easteurope.jpg
    easteurope.jpg
    485.4 KB · Views: 1,751
  • westeurope.jpg
    westeurope.jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 1,585
  • Mexico.jpg
    Mexico.jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 1,304
  • hotzone1.jpg
    hotzone1.jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 1,195
  • hotzone2.jpg
    hotzone2.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 1,121
The game crashes just at the end of the first turn, when I click on "next turn". I don't have such a trouble with any other scenario. It's a pity, as it looks very funny !

Did you use any mod? I may need to update the buildings to work with CTP's current version.

While Germany, in the real world, has the far bigger population compared to France, England etc, in your scenario it has 31 pop only and France has 54. And its 1 city vs 4 french? And no possibility to produce naval units? Does the word 'U-Boot' ring a bell?

But you include Vienna?

And Istanbul isnt even connected to Asia Minor, not to speak of being part of it?

Realy, I value your effort, but your version of Europe is realy far away from reality.

I dont want to speak bad about this, but please concider to invest as much work into Europe as you invetsed into the USA.

Thanks for your comments on the map. The map is going to be balanced for gameplay, not a realistic future war where every nation is exactly as powerful as real life. As the US is only 5 % of the world population a thoroughly realistic map, with a full strength Europe would be one sided against USA at normal difficulty. Consider all factors, including military strength and gold, before recommending I increase a particular nations strength. All countries on the Allied side are not created equally. Russia, France, Germany, UK, Japan, and China are the easiest to play, while Egypt, Arabia, and Persia provide the greatest challenge.

The map is as large as it will go, yet keeping the map somewhat proportional, and cities a few hexes apart leaves Europe too small to include every major city. Germany can quickly conquer several nearby cities, giving them a more appropriate population and the ability to produce navy. Germany gets the best land forces of any allied power in this map, and can conquer central Europe and Scandanavia quickly if played well. While the total pop of Germany is low, a 31 pop city(Berlin in this map represents nearly all of Germany) can be worth more than two size 20 cities, especially when fully built up like Berlin is. This is represented in the demographics, where every additional pop in a city adds more people than the one before it. In my Germany play test I was able to conquer 6 cities in the first 20 turns, making it 7 German to 5 French cities, including 4 port cities.

Vienna and the other European city states are there to slow down the most powerful Allied armies of a human playing Germany, France, UK, or Russia until the AI America can build up some defenses and make a game of it.

From what I can tell, the majority of Istanbul is on the European side of the Bosphorus. Are you saying that there should be no coast, or that Istanbul should be on the other side of the strait?

A new version will be delayed as my map has been corrupted, but hopefully is less than a week away. All of your proposed tweaks to population, military, and economy will be considered, and given priority if there are screenshots included to show me you've played through a test. Issues to be fixed are on the first post. Thanks in advance for contributing.

I would also add that Germany as a very strong army, stronger than the French military units. ANd that's actually wrong, as France and GB have two of the most powerful armies on the world. But anyway, it does not matter. BSPollux, you can also tell this kind of things without being aggressive. ;-)

A new version with a date fix is up on the modhub. You guys will have to tell me if it's working as I'm having trouble testing several of my scenarios in game, including and especially this one.

Top Bottom