Venice on huge maps?

Shylock76

Chieftain
Ive only got around to trying Venice out over the weekend but ive had to abandon both the games as each the only city states I could find were over 20 hexes away. Although by the stage I quie i could have set up 4 trade routes but no other civs or city states were close enough to establish trade routes which crippled my economy - is this typical with Venice on huge maps or was I just unlucky in both games?

Venice does have a disadvantage on larger maps because of the extra space.

Just increase the number of civs/city states.

Having city states that are far away from you is not necessarily a bad thing for Venice. It means that you will have more early game access to trading partners, be able to make more money and be able to purchase a larger army. Also by having your territories so spread apart it means that the enemies' armies will be in the wrong places and you can take more of their cities while they're trying to capture your own oddly placed one.

I've had a lot of great success with Venice. It's just a completely different way of playing the game.

When I play as Venice on a large map, I max the number of CS (41) and remove two AI civs.

When I play as Venice on a large map, I max the number of CS (41) and remove two AI civs.

That sounds quite insane but if you take out 10 CSes over the course of the game, I guess it's reasonable.

Now if Austria is in the game as well and they take 10 it's even more reasonable.

There is nothing inherently bad about your civ being separated and divided. This isn't like previous civ games were production went down the farther you were from the capital or anything like that.

Venice requires a different style of gameplay, but its not bad at larger maps.

Well if your cities are all connected they're easier to defend.

I just tested Venice starting games in later eras, they only ever get 1 settler, but the other settlers you would usually get are replaced with great merchants of venice (and you get your optics merchant as well).

Top Bottom