War to liberate city state made everyone hate me

Oddible

signal / noise > 1
A bit of a problem. I was suzerain of the cs when China attacked it and captured it. I formally denounced then 5 turns later declared formal war to liberate the city and it made everyone hate me. Seems a bit broken mechanic that enemies can capture city states that you have spent a LOT of envoys on without any recourse to you.

Apparently not, also there is a Liberation war after the Diplomatic Service civic, not sure if that would have caused anything different.

Story of my life. Even when I am declared war on, and end the war by liberating cities, everyone still hates me.
In my current game I've never even been at war, and Gandhi is denouncing me every chance he gets for being a warmonger. Like, seriously? Apart from barbs, the only other things I kill are spies. Surely that can't count as being bloodthirsty?!

On topic, formal wars really do very very little. Even tooltip says it only reduces penalty lightly. You need the later policies. Like colonial wars, territorial wars or liberation wars. They reduce penalties by 50%+

As I understand, for some reason you can't use liberation war for city-states, that could be a bug. You could use protectorate war if you catch them before city-state fall, though.

Protectorate war has its own bug. Since warmonger penalty is 0, multiplying it is also 0. I was able to raze a city without consequences.

As I understand, for some reason you can't use liberation war for city-states, that could be a bug.

Hopefully so. I was able to liberate an English city earlier today with a Liberation War with no warmonger penalty and a +20 diplomacy boost with Victoria.

+20 diplomacy boost wasn't enough to repair the damage I'd done to my reputation so I just kept the bulldozer rolling... That said, I can see that more attention to the new mechanics has the potential to make this better than CiV.

If only you could have a CB option that says to the world "Do you mind if I go to war with X on to return liberate city/cities for Y?" - sort of a "world policeman" CB that gives you mega-positive diplo with liberated civ (or auto permanent Suzerain status with CS) and improved diplo with any civs not friendly with your victim (and an obvious big negative with the victim).

This also happened to me. And Egypt, who I liberated, was really happy for about 10 turns and then surprised declared war on me because I was a warmonger - for saving their sorry butts. Ridiculous.

A bit of a problem. I was suzerain of the cs when China attacked it and captured it. I formally denounced then 5 turns later declared formal war to liberate the city and it made everyone hate me. Seems a bit broken mechanic that enemies can capture city states that you have spent a LOT of envoys on without any recourse to you.

Formal wars do have some warmonger penalty depending on what era you are in. But you do get a diplo bonus for liberating city states. So if you do a formal declaration of war, you will get a warmonger penalty but it will be offset a bit when you liberate a city state. Interesting bug: the diplo bonus for liberating a city state applies to all civs, even the civ that conquered the city state in the first place. So basically the civ that conquered the city state will like you a bit more when you liberate the city state from them.

If you use the casus belli for war of liberation, then I think you don't get the warmonger penalty at all as long as you liberate a city state. So if you are trying to liberate a city state, it is best to use the war of liberation casus belli, not the formal declaration of war.

I figured since I was going to take the hit anyway I just wiped them off the face of the map and took the city state for myself too. Screw it, you wanna fight let's fight!

I would ask exactly what was the numeric value of your warmonger penalty but I see confusing things in my game, like a civ that dislikes me while I have a +5 dipliomacy modifier, and civs that won't accept DOFs when they are friendly towards me. So the values are relatively useful but ultimately not enough info.

Top Bottom