War Weariness Mechanics

It all doesn't explain why the modern wars are so high on WW.
Of course, you have more troops and fight more.
And of course, you have bigger cities.
Is that all? Isn't there a "hidden" modifier?

It all doesn't explain why the modern wars are so high on WW.
Of course, you have more troops and fight more.
And of course, you have bigger cities.
Is that all? Isn't there a "hidden" modifier?

Yes, I think that's all. Note that the effects of larger populations and more units involved in the war are effects that increase another. War weariness scales linearly with the population in your cities and the number of units that get killed in the war and these effects are multiplied. This means that if your cities are twice as big and the number of units involved is twice as high, then the number of unhappy people is four times as high.

Luckily, you also have the best ways to combat war weariness in the late game. Useful civics and buildings and large happiness bonusses from using culture for happiness.

Of course! Just wait until you have researched every tech in the game before declaring war. Then you can run culture at 90% for huge happiness bonuses from all your theatres and colosseums. ;)

Of course! Just wait until you have researched every tech in the game before declaring war. Then you can run culture at 90% for huge happiness bonuses from all your theatres and colosseums. ;)
Or better, stop researching for a while when you have reached a good military position (axes, catapults, maces, grenadiers, canons, ...).
If you whip your cities dry, there will be no WW problem :lol: .

why stop there? every future tech gives you one more +1 happy and health!!!!!! bigger, happier, healthy cities!!!! *giggle*

Or better, stop researching for a while when you have reached a good military position (axes, catapults, maces, grenadiers, canons, ...).
If you whip your cities dry, there will be no WW problem :lol: .

this going-to-war-early thing i keep reading about, i should try it some day huh? axes are used for wars not just barbs?

why stop there? every future tech gives you one more +1 happy and health!!!!!! bigger, happier, healthy cities!!!! *giggle*
That's exactly what I was thinking.
if you keept researching future techs, you should be so happy that no WW can hurt you :lol:

this going-to-war-early thing i keep reading about, i should try it some day huh? axes are used for wars not just barbs?
Certainly.
It's not a recipe, just one tool among others.
Same as chopping for settlers or going for the Oracle.
Just easier to do and mostly failsafe (only failure I know of is being too late : LB don't die to axes easily).

hey, thanks for the useful info! Does anybody know if there's a difference in WW whether you're the offender ot the defeder? (I assume there must be another forumula!)

hey, thanks for the useful info! Does anybody know if there's a difference in WW whether you're the offender ot the defeder? (I assume there must be another forumula!)

There's no difference. The only effect are some negative diplomatic modifiers with the nations that didn't dislike the defender.

But as the description of the war weariness formula shows, there is a big difference between fighting in your own territory or fighting in someone elses territory (to be more exact: area of cultural domination).

1. Combat Actions: only gained where you are not Culturally dominant [ie a city that was someone else's for a long time might NOT count as where you are culturally dominant, even if it is within your borders]

Right, so basically speaking as long as you're fighting in your cultural influence, your people won't get pissed @ u!

Right, so basically speaking as long as you're fighting in your cultural influence, your people won't get pissed @ u!

That's true. But your improvements might get pillaged and you can't capture any cities while staying in your own area of cultural influence.

Do remember that area within your cultural borders might not be under in your cultural influence. The foreign culture might still be dominant allthough there is no foreign city in the neighbourhood to claim the cultural area. This is normally true for recently captured enemy territory.

Is there a way to check on each tile's cultural influence?

A nice strategy could be, if you're willing to lose the element of surprise, is to declare war and NOT go enter their territory, and make them do the first offensive and later take a city quickly when they're out of soliders!

Is there a way to check on each tile's cultural influence?

The culture percentage of the civlization that owns the tile at the moment is mentioned in the tile. Normally, there are only 2 nations who have cultural influence in a tile and so the cultural influence of the other nation is clear (culture percentage of civ A = 100- culture percentage of civ B). So it is clear who has the dominant culture in the tile. If there are three or more civilizations who have culture influence in a tile, then still only the culture of the civilization who controls the tile is mentioned and it is a bit hard to find out if you're culturally dominant in the tile. But if you have more than 50% cultural influence, then it is clear that your culture is dominant in the tile.

A nice strategy could be, if you're willing to lose the element of surprise, is to declare war and NOT go enter their territory, and make them do the first offensive and later take a city quickly when they're out of soliders!

I sometimes use that strategy if the enemy has a large army and I don't have good ways to combat the war weariness.
It is also often easier to win battles in your territory because you have a movement advantage. It doesn't work very well if the enemy units come into your territory in small groups while the enemy constantly rebuilds such small groups of units.

The culture percentage of the civlization that owns the tile at the moment is mentioned in the tile. Normally, there are only 2 nations who have cultural influence in a tile and so the cultural influence of the other nation is clear (culture percentage of civ A = 100- culture percentage of civ B). So it is clear who has the dominant culture in the tile. If there are three or more civilizations who have culture influence in a tile, then still only the culture of the civilization who controls the tile is mentioned and it is a bit hard to find out if you're culturally dominant in the tile. But if you have more than 50% cultural influence, then it is clear that your culture is dominant in the tile.
Um, I know but then... what's the difference between "borders" and "cultural influence"?? If you conquer an enemy city, thus killing all culture in it, and rendering the land yours, then fighting there will be counted as "your land" right?? How can the land be "yours" while cultural influence is "his"?

If you conquer an enemy city, thus killing all culture in it, and rendering the land yours, then fighting there will be counted as "your land" right??

No, that's exactly wrong. When you capture an enemy city, you don't "kill" the culture that it has generated in the surrounding squares. Control of a square goes to the player with the most culture there, from among those who actually have the square within their city radius. So, if the squares around the conquered city are no longer in any city radius for your opponent, you can control them even if you only have 1% of the culture there, and your opponent has 99%. But they don't count as within your cultural influence for war weariness (according to the original posting in this thread).

That brings us to another issue I was kinda debating with myself about: is the mod cultureConquest realistic or not? For those who don't know, it prevents conquered cities culture from droping to zero once taken, thus giving you a good chunk of land once you control an enemy city.

After what I read here, apparently how it does that is by converting (a proportion of) the culture in the city you just invaded to your nation. Can the vanilla version stimulate resistence? (americans in iraq) where you cannot control the land unless you participate with some culture (american movies) to convince local population to cooperate??

That brings us to another issue I was kinda debating with myself about: is the mod cultureConquest realistic or not? For those who don't know, it prevents conquered cities culture from droping to zero once taken, thus giving you a good chunk of land once you control an enemy city.

After what I read here, apparently how it does that is by converting (a proportion of) the culture in the city you just invaded to your nation. Can the vanilla version stimulate resistence? (americans in iraq) where you cannot control the land unless you participate with some culture (american movies) to convince local population to cooperate??

The percentage of culture that you control in the center tile determines the percentage of people in the city that wish to return to their home country. This results in a number of unhappy people.

There are several mods out there that change the culture amounts upon conquest. If I recall correctly, there is also a mod out there that reduces the foreign culture on all of the tiles each turn once the city is conquered.

All of these culture mods lead to easier conquest which is in general an advantage for the human player since the human player is usually the most succesful conquerer in the game. Whether it is realistic or not is difficult to say. In general, I would prefer their effects to be a little less so that foreign culture remains a big obstacle during conquest. But I wouldn't mind a little culture upon conquest and a chance that culture producing buildings would remain with a lessened culture production for some time. Also I wouldn't mind a little reduction of the foreign culture each turn. But I would like all of these things to go slowly so that culture remains a serious problem during and after conquest.

Some of these mods can be configured, they have certain parameters that can be changed in the xml code. So you can probably get everything from the standard civ 4 settings to the normal settings in these mods.

I don't think that's the work of xml! I taught myself xml but it's only good for arbitrary numbers, not deep game concepts

At any rate, I think culture here is doing the effect that resistence played in Civ3 and Civ2. I realize how silly of me playing with CultureConquest because that totally removes the concept of resistence!

Yet the perfect balance would've been granting the whole land (or "province" if you will) to the new owner, with him still unable to control the production just yet

I don't think that's the work of xml! I taught myself xml but it's only good for arbitrary numbers, not deep game concepts

I'm not sure if it is in an xml-file or an ini-file. Such mods change the culture effects by python or SDK-modding, but often give the user some extra tool to vary the numbers a bit. This usually only requires you to edit a simple file and change a single number.

Yes yes, like the % of culture that should remain. But as I was saying, now I'm convinced that the whole mod is "wrong". The vanilla has problems with this aspect too, but the mod makes it worse by totally removing resistence!

umm, it does remove resistence right? Or does it simply keep some of the original culture attributed to the original owner, which results in giving you territory somehow??

Yes yes, like the % of culture that should remain. But as I was saying, now I'm convinced that the whole mod is "wrong". The vanilla has problems with this aspect too, but the mod makes it worse by totally removing resistence!

umm, it does remove resistence right? Or does it simply keep some of the original culture attributed to the original owner, which results in giving you territory somehow??

I don't know exactly how the mod works. I have never downloaded it, I've only read about it. I don't know if it will remove resistance.

If a significant percentage of the culture in the center city tile is foreign culture, then there will be unhappy people who wish to join their mother country. That is actually a bigger problem than the resistance in my opinion. Also a big problem is that your just captured city (in the original civ4 rules) is surrounded by foreign culture. It can't work these tiles and your units can't use the roads in that area. All of this makes conquest hard under the original rules.

Top Bottom