1. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Main site is finally re-opened! We migrated it to a new CMS and gave it a new layout as well.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Downloads database has been migrated and re-opened! Check it out and post in Site Feedback if any issue. We have done URL re-write so that old links will continue to work.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. A new Civ6 theme forum style is now available and it's made the default forum style! Check it out and comment here.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. We have successfully migrated the forum from vBulletin to Xenforo! Please take a look around and report any issue you see in Site Feedback.
    Dismiss Notice

What are your favorite game settings?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Woody1, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Woody1

Woody1 New Member

Feb 19, 2002
    I'm just curious what people like to set their game parameters to in a single player game, and why.

I like small maps, marathon speed, 18 players, no tech-trading, and fractal land. (The other settings I don't really care what they're set to.)

I like small maps with lots of nations, because it allows for lots of interaction and quick wars. You can be the most powerful civ with only 5 or 6 cities, so micro-management is never an issue. (MM is usually my biggest complaint about Civ, especially in the late game.)

The marathon speed allows me to keep older units functional for a long time, without them getting outdated because of the tech race.

No tech trading also helps with stopping tech from evolving very fast. And since I hate trading away my own tech, I like to prevent the computer players from doing it too! I haven't tried the BTS setting for preventing players from trading tech that they didn't discover, but maybe I'll try that as a compromise.

I usually pick fractal maps, simply because they give interesting continent shapes, IMO. Some of the other map types don't work too well on small maps.
  2. Itachi

Itachi New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    For me I usually pick huge maps, normal game speed, terra world/continents, anywhere between 10-18 civs and noble through prince difficulties.

I like large maps because for some reason I feel cramped in anything smaller than a large world.:crazyeye:

I use normal game speed because the large world generally makes things move slow enough for me. I occasionally pick epic when I want a bit of a longer game.

I like terra maps because I like the Pangaea feel of the game with the added bonus of discovering a new world in the age of sail. I pick continents when I want to stretch out a bit more.
  3. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

Dec 2, 2006
    The wilds of Montana
    I like to play on the fractal maps also. That way, I usually get more than one land mass, although sometimes only one, plus a few islands. I like not knowing what is there until I explore it.

Mostly, I use temperate climate, although now and then I'll let it be random.

I like to set the leader, country, sea level, map size, and number of AI players random. I find it more interesting to see what luck throws my way.

I have played on normal speed for the most part but probably will have a go at marathon and epic at some point, so see if I like them. I have played two or three games at quick but I'm not big on that.

I have time victory turned off but all the rest turned on and decide which type of victory to go for after I see which leader I have gotten.

Currently, I am playing at Noble level but will move up one level soon.