What Difficulty do you play on (most of the time)?

CIV V Difficulty that you play on?

• Total voters

black213

Emperor
Didn't encounter a thread like this, so I decided to make one.

I play on Prince usually, because on Prince I am on the same level as the AI is on (not including the intelligence of AI). And so, the game doesn't feel as unfair.
Sometimes I play on King for a bit more of a challenge, but mostly just Prince.

I'm probably in a minority here, but I don't play the game to get a challenge. I play to build an empire than can stand the test of time ;) This means to build nice cities, make them big and happy and safe. My goal is to play the game so I can choose between diplo, cultural or space victory in the LATE game.

To achieve that, I currently mostly play on warlord level. Its nice and comfortable, you don't have to worry (much) about the AI and get no stress with happiness or cash. I'm still trying to get up to prince level, to have a "fair" level playing field with the AI. But its not a high priority for me.

I think Prince is ok, you can do whatever you want, such as race for wonders,... it's fun that way. At higher difficult lv, you must focus to your military all the time, to not get wiped out by ridiculous rich AI, expecially their happiness :eek: At difficult lv higher than King, you must focus your strategy to be most optimal, and stick with it every game, and i feel that's boring :(

King mostly. I find that it allows me to play a fun challenging game without all the stress and constraints of the higher levels. That being said, when I go into a game planning to win a domination victory I'll bump it up another notch or two and even up to deity depending on how much caffeine I've had.

I find that unlike civ 4 the AI just cant keep up on an even playing field. I kick the crap outta it playing casual without trying to game the system on prince. On King I feel like we are more equal. I still win all of the time but I dont run away on tech without even trying. So I play King :)

In all previous civ games I always played the balanced setting because I didnt like the idea of the AI getting cheat bonuses.

Emperor for the combat challenge. Note that I rarely finish these games (not that I play much Civ V nowadays anyway).

After blowing out emperor in my last let's play, time to move up.

Maybe I'll even play deity consistently in this game, unlike the now-and-then policy I ran with it in civ IV...it seems like there are less ticky-tack stupid ways to lose in V (or that it's just easier, or both).

Since I don't play for winning, I play on king. I mean, I want to win, but I play how I like, not how it would be best for winning. I don't cavalry rush or ICS or such. I try to do nice cities and a powerfull empire instead and only attack to grow, not to defeat enemies.
I miss having allies and friends a lot.

always win on immortal, still need to beat deity

I don't think I've lost a game on emperor yet, so I might move up to Immortal after a game or two more. Voted Emperor though (still never won a cultural victory however, I just can't get it :()

I often play at about King level, though I mainly play Emperor level OCCs.

can't win on immortal, can't lose on emperor it seems.

so mostly immortal.

I am playing on the near impossible CRASH Level! :mad:

can't win on immortal, can't lose on emperor it seems.

so mostly immortal.

I have just stepped up to immortal from emperor and WOW :eek:at the big difference in difficulty. I play almost exclusively single land mass maps since the AI still isn't at all talented with naval use and invasions.

I also get a fun game without resorting to really lame exploits vs the AI. I find this to be much more fun than griping about how unfinished this game is and seriously laming the AI. I also will not take any kind of victory other than Domination unless I clearly am dominating the game and just want to end it. (Exception Cultural Victory which is not my style and I failed on Emperor and is such a BORING "next turn" fest).

Anyhow, it became trivially easy for me to win Emperor and quite easy even if I didn't make horse units with some civs so I moved up to Immortal for the first time. The difference is shocking as the AI's expand quicker and build up their cities lots quicker and have considerably more troops and techs. LOL I just took Persopolis at about turn 260 of 500 and it was allready a size 24 city with 7 or 8 wonders ! I haven't even tried to build a wonder and just have tried to survive. I have the game won now, but twice had to reload from an autosave, not realizing the need on Immortal to have a large army and to not leave big areas of my empire undefended while off in foreign lands fighting battles that are too slow to win.

I hope I've learned enough about tactics that I can win the next Immortal game without reloading.

Some day I hope to be good enough to compete on Deity and to me this is needed for me to up my skills for the hoped for AI improvements in further patches and add ons.

To each his own, but for me it is not fun to easily win every game nor to play endless next turn sim city on lower levels.

As I see it, if you can't lose at least sometimes, you're not playing on a high enough difficulty level.

.. neilkaz ..

I'm playing on king and it's pretty easy, but I don't have much time to play, so I like to enjoy in game. But, I'll try this days emperor and immortal, I mean, it's pretty fun warring all the time and it would be even more interesting if you could make world wars as you could in civ 4. You dow someone and 2 blocks of religion dow each other... I think that civ 5 would be great even with bad AI warrig if diplomacy would be better. I mean, even if they would suck in war, 5 of them should Dow you if you become too powerful and they will destroy you from 5 different directions. I love that AI will use any chance to backstab you and exploit your weaknesses.

Deity is waaaay too much for me, first civ title ive ever played and all. Immortal is extremely satisfying to win on though. I probably lose 80% of my games but I actually don't mind. Sometimes my civ stands the test of time but like most civilizations it generally collapses. Give me good terrain though, not starting location or anything like that, but a nice defensible position for when the runaway decides I'm his next target and I can take a victory.

Forts for the win by the way.

Top Bottom