What Difficulty do you play on (most of the time)?

CIV V Difficulty that you play on?

• Total voters
When I was playing Civ V, I quickly moved up to Deity. Immortal was too easy in a lot of respects. The AI absolutely sucks in Civ V.

When I was playing Civ V, I quickly moved up to Deity. Immortal was too easy in a lot of respects. The AI absolutely sucks in Civ V.

Heh, I can't understand how people call difficulties up from Emperor easy. On Emperor I get my ass beaten in the classical/medieval era.

I'm probably in a minority here, but I don't play the game to get a challenge. I play to build an empire than can stand the test of time ;) This means to build nice cities, make them big and happy and safe. My goal is to play the game so I can choose between diplo, cultural or space victory in the LATE game.

To achieve that, I currently mostly play on warlord level. Its nice and comfortable, you don't have to worry (much) about the AI and get no stress with happiness or cash. I'm still trying to get up to prince level, to have a "fair" level playing field with the AI. But its not a high priority for me.

i want the same, but for me thats emperor level. at the moment im a bit disappointed, because i cant loose anymore on this level except i do a big mistake :confused:

First game was a space victory with the Egyptians on Prince. Switched to king and have a cultural victory with India and will complete a domination win with Alex tonight.

I voted King but in the next game or two I'll crank it to Emperor.

I play Emperor. I don't really ever lose at this difficulty but I know my game isn't up to Immortal standard just yet. A few more weeks and I might have the right balance to make the move up.

I play Emperor. If I move up to immortal, I might have to wage war earlier and more often, which is just a little bit too much for me. Rather play a game with a decent mix of war and development.

Immortal, but I cant slap the AI around because there always seems to be a Germany that takes an entire continent and begins swallowing another one, added to the fact that I cant stand building trading posts or spamming cities

The double settler start for ai on deity commits me to an extremely aggressive strategy. i prefer to have choices about level of aggression so immortal is the best level of difficulty.

I've been making gradual progress. Prince first year-ish of IV, then Monarch, and finally Emperor near the end. I started with Emperor in V, and just recently moved up to Immortal. It's rather fun!

The best part about V is you don't have the insane good and bad luck of IV. Start locations used to vary wildly in power, now they do a much better job of balancing resources and terrain (though the balance mods help a lot with that).

I think I played at a middling difficulty in Civ II, and Transcend in Alpha Centauri. SMAC was probably the easiest of the Civ games, but it was just so much fun it made up for it. :D

After some very enjoyable early trouncings at lower levels, I tried Emperor and found it was shockingly easy to win (too easy IMO), so I've been at Immortal for the last few weeks.

As others here have said, it's a huge jump in difficulty and really is a challenge. I find that my earlier dissatisfaction with the game has vanished, because now I want to win--more basic it doesn't get, but sure keeps you interested.

I've started dozens of games but only had a very few wins, but I hate the ICS strategy (exploit) and prefer playing the game as it was designed: puppeting and annexing cities rather than razing them, so this slows me down. If I see the AI obviously/ridiculously cheating by spamming units, turbo-teching, or going ICS, I scrap the game; I don't see the "fun" in that.

Start position is crucial at Immortal, and you can tell after 30 or so turns whether the game will be worth playing or an AI steamroller. I play std continents or pangea; either way, from my experience you've got to start at 1/3 above or below center to have the possibility of a good, "fair-ish" game because you'll be in a solid position to block the breakout AI. Then you can sit back and enjoy 100+ turns of AI unit spam ;)

emperor, i dont mind the bonuses the ai gets at that level, but anything higher just seems over the top

I am currently playing on Prince, because I don't want the AI to have any unfair advantages, while I am still learning the new game.

King almost always. I like Civ 4 monarch level because it's not too easy and I can beat rivals still, so it's heritage from there.

I play King most of the time although lately I have been playing the harder difficulties for a challenge.

I typically play on King, but I've been thinking of moving up a level. While I dislike the cruddy AI, I dislike bonuses even more. I just downloaded the Communitas AI mod in an attempt to make the computer better at playing the game, because anybody can win when they start with extra settlers, warriors, and workers. I want skill, not cheating.

Top Bottom