What... is the capital of Assyria?

Rolaran

Chieftain
Assur was the original capital, but I have a feeling Ninevah is better known... so, Assur as the first city, then Ninevah coming up fairly soon once you start expanding?

I think Nineveh was the capital later on at least. I could be wrong, though.

Which one was the capitol for a longer period of time or which one was the capitol during their height?
I'd go for Nineveh because it sound better then Assur.;)

To the OPer: Just wondering, did you name this thread that way because of Monty Python and the Holy Grale?

To the OPer: Just wondering, did you name this thread that way because of Monty Python and the Holy Grale?

Guilty as charged ;)

Having said that, I was genuinely curious, because it looks like Assur and Ninevah were only two of four cities that the Assyrian empire made their capital, the others being Nimrud and (briefly) Dur-Sharrukin. And I think I've seen Nimrud before in another Civ's cities as well (can't remember which one now though).

Maybe that will be part of their UA, a la Persia in Rise of Nations?

I think Assur and Nineveh are the most likely candidates. Probably Nineveh.

Nineveh is a Babylonian city in-game. A fairly early one if I'm not mistaken.

It's easy to remove. I made a list of independent city lists to include Babylon, Sumeria, and Assyria in the game. It's not hard to do.

This is especially true because Nineveh never was a Babylonian city. It's only connection to Babylon is that the city was destroyed by the Neo-Babylonian Empire.

I personally prefer Assur because it was the first Assyrian capital, but I can see it going either way. There were, after all, at least four Assyrian capitals I can name off the top of my head.

Maybe that will be part of their UA, a la Persia in Rise of Nations?

I think Assur and Nineveh are the most likely candidates. Probably Nineveh.

But how will that work? In Rise of Nations, you had to take the capital to eliminate a civ (or capitals in case of Persia), but that's not the case here.

Well, I'm gonna go ahead and guess the stats for Assyria

Leader: Ashurbanipal (the only Assyrian King I know)
Capital: Assur (the first capital) or Nineveh (most well known capital)
UU: Siege Tower (Catapult) possibly a powerful melee siege unit that moves slowly
UB: Cuneiform Library (Library) culture boost, can host Great Works (GW)
UA: Legend of Seriramis- all GP give a combat bonus.

I was thinking something like that for the unique building. It would fit very well with the Library of Nineveh.

What about a religion bonus (automatic conversion upon capture). The Assyrians did think they were waging war for their god Ashur. Although I think they actually incorporated enemy pantheons, so I'll have to think about this more carefully.

Top Bottom