Where to store units in Civ5?

DoddGod

Chieftain
I'm used to Civ 4 where you just keep them in your cities or in a castle etc. But now you cant stack units, even in cities. So when you prepare for a war, where do you keep all your units?

I've only ever played Civ5 once for about an hour

Thanks for your help and merry Christmas

Keep in mind that with Civ5 you can start a city assault with as few as five units (3 ranged + 2 melee) and that you will be hitting the unit cap long before space logistics become problematic.

There are a couple of policies that give buffs for having units in cities, so one per city certainly. Then I like to string any spare units on the road between my cap and the city closest to front line. Starting movement on a road lets you get moving just a little faster.

Another change from Civ4 is that you will want to be much more conservative with building roads.

Beetle is absolutely correct on where to store units. Which brings up another difference between Civ IV & Civ V, in Civ IV roads didn't cost anything other than worker turns. In Civ V, each road tile costs 1 gold per turn as most civs, and so your road network will be the fewest number of tiles needed to connect your cities.

Keep in mind that with Civ5 you can start a city assault with as few as five units (3 ranged + 2 melee) and that you will be hitting the unit cap long before space logistics become problematic.

There are a couple of policies that give buffs for having units in cities, so one per city certainly. Then I like to string any spare units on the road between my cap and the city closest to front line. Starting movement on a road lets you get moving just a little faster.

Another change from Civ4 is that you will want to be much more conservative with building roads.

Indeed. Even as little of 3 units can take a city (CS) in mildly favorable conditions. Having a spear with rough terrain bonus tanking the hits while 2 archers are attacking is enough vs a city on flat land early on (before the CS has built any unit). Take 3 archers or 2 charriot archers and it really becomes a breeze.

Also, dont forget "storing" your units on some hills surrounding your terrains so they keep barbs camps from appearing there. And have some roaming around CSes so they can kill barbs to complete quests for those.

If you play long peacefull games where i dont really have usefull jobs for the units to do but i dont feel safe having fewer units, i just park them at central positions in my land from where they have max coverage to reach my borders/coastlines and defend against invasions.

Top Bottom