Which difficulty do you play

Which difficulty do you play

• Total voters

Bridog7

Little Monster
I play chieftain to try and get all victories with the leaders on chieftain, same with noble. Regularly play noble and king.

While it's good to familiarize yourself with all the civs, it's probably best to move up levels when you start winning comfortably. Ususally when you advance to the next level, you have to rethink your strategy and play a little more efficiently.

After I beat King pretty easily, I took the advice of another and just moved up to Deity, it took me several tries, but eventually I found a good strategy and won. I didn't really know what I was doing back then, and was still only building about 3-5 cities. It wasn't till I used the Indians "half-cost settlers" that they get in the industrial that I realized that more cities makes everything easier.

Learning to expand will really progress you as a player. Winning the game with all the civs on Deity will help too, and just playing frequently will help you learn so much. Knowing the tech tree is what set me apart when I first started playing online almost a year ago, even though I still wasn't the greatest of players, I got to #2 on H2H in Ps3. I think by winning all 64 victories in Deity, I learned so much about the game that can't just be read about that it really helped me.

Now players are better, and it's quite a jump between multiplayer and Deity. I can win with only one city on Deity, without moving units, or other ways like building a settler at the start of the game and feeding it to the AI, and still pull off a victory. Once you learn how to beat Deity, the AI becomes much less intresting, but it is still a challenge.

So I'd say, once you get a gist of how to beat a particular difficulty, then move up, till you get to Deity, then win at least 16 victories, if not all 64 victory conditions. Then come play me (joke).

With ICS it is very easy to beat the AI even on Deity, so only MP holds real challenges -- and of course it depends also on how good the opponents are (I played some MP games that were easier to win than against the AI on Deity). The only single player games I play these days are the GOTW challenges. For those, it is not a question of winning (of course you win), but a question of WHEN, i.e. how good you are compared to others. I play the GOTW on 2 levels: Deity and Chieftain. Why Chieftain? Because it is a different kind of puzzle game: you can always win by horsemen, and there is no need (nor any point) building cities, so it is a very different strategy game. The game becomes a quest to find the optimum path to win the game with the smallest number of moves. Typical best-results are in the 2200BC-2500BC range. Sometimes I make a victory in 2200BC thinking that this is the best possible, then next day I see somebody did 2400BC, then I have to think hard and out-of-box what kind of trick he pulled to make that. So it is fun although a very different kind than a normal CivRev game.

GGrayson, I'd love to play you if you still have the PS3 around ;)

Only Deity now. Once you learn the shortcomings of the AI, it's very manageable, and somewhat less fun. But with some bad luck you can still lose so it's no walk in the park, far from it.

While it's good to familiarize yourself with all the civs, it's probably best to move up levels when you start winning comfortably. Ususally when you advance to the next level, you have to rethink your strategy and play a little more efficiently.

After I beat King pretty easily, I took the advice of another and just moved up to Deity, it took me several tries, but eventually I found a good strategy and won. I didn't really know what I was doing back then, and was still only building about 3-5 cities. It wasn't till I used the Indians "half-cost settlers" that they get in the industrial that I realized that more cities makes everything easier.

Learning to expand will really progress you as a player. Winning the game with all the civs on Deity will help too, and just playing frequently will help you learn so much. Knowing the tech tree is what set me apart when I first started playing online almost a year ago, even though I still wasn't the greatest of players, I got to #2 on H2H in Ps3. I think by winning all 64 victories in Deity, I learned so much about the game that can't just be read about that it really helped me.

Now players are better, and it's quite a jump between multiplayer and Deity. I can win with only one city on Deity, without moving units, or other ways like building a settler at the start of the game and feeding it to the AI, and still pull off a victory. Once you learn how to beat Deity, the AI becomes much less intresting, but it is still a challenge.

So I'd say, once you get a gist of how to beat a particular difficulty, then move up, till you get to Deity, then win at least 16 victories, if not all 64 victory conditions. Then come play me (joke).

MP is like twice harder than deity, or even more.. Good players can do much more than the AI with the 40% handicap, yes, it means that AI can build a warrior in 3 turns instead of 5 (they work on balanced). I would say that players are getting better, too, but all the bugs of this game make it looking bad and boring.. I restarted playing for fun, but I also would like to take my place on the top 3, hoping I won't lose everything again :lol:

I suggest you to try deity and look at the strategy in the archive, then try FFA and h2h to learn a bit more about the game

CivRev on the DS was the first Civilization game I ever played, and it was kinda easy. I started on Warlord and about 3 months later I was winning on Deity. Not that Deity is easy, but it's far easier than the PC versions.

I agree about the PC versions being harder. I'm still not past Monarch yet on Civ4, but have beaten Deity on most of the 64 combinations of CivRev (and it didn't take long to work up to Deity).

I agree about the PC versions being harder. I'm still not past Monarch yet on Civ4, but have beaten Deity on most of the 64 combinations of CivRev (and it didn't take long to work up to Deity).

The 64 wins on deity means nothing compared to MP.

I mean, that's a good thing (not great, in my opinion), but you could perhaps lose 10 games and win 1 after doing that. Don't take this as an insult, now you should try MP games. About civ4, I won 1v1 deity or 1v5 prince / 1v4 on monarch :D

now you should try MP games
For sure, I agree totally. Unfortunately there was something dodgy with my internet connection and CivRev just wouldn't work over MP. Will be moving house soon so will definitely give it a shot.

For sure, I agree totally. Unfortunately there was something dodgy with my internet connection and CivRev just wouldn't work over MP. Will be moving house soon so will definitely give it a shot.

If you mean today, it's for maintenance. If not, ok.. Do you play on x360 or PS3?

Deity in this version of civ I found took little time to reach and master. My experience was similar to those who have also posted here... It's all about the expansion. Considering how commerce works in this game, I found it incredibly easy to win if I expanded early on and settled cities which had access to tons of ocean tiles, with some food/production. Once food was accessible through the ocean tiles, these cities would just become monsters. I used a rule of thumb where I would always make my 3rd city of this respect a gold city, then usually make another gold city after every 2 science. This was in reality all it took, as I could soon gold rush any building in whatever low production cities I had.

Multiplayer, however, is much different..

Deity in this version of civ I found took little time to reach and master. My experience was similar to those who have also posted here... It's all about the expansion. Considering how commerce works in this game, I found it incredibly easy to win if I expanded early on and settled cities which had access to tons of ocean tiles, with some food/production. Once food was accessible through the ocean tiles, these cities would just become monsters. I used a rule of thumb where I would always make my 3rd city of this respect a gold city, then usually make another gold city after every 2 science. This was in reality all it took, as I could soon gold rush any building in whatever low production cities I had.

Multiplayer, however, is much different..

I still don't understand why making a random gold city like you said every 2 cities. It has no sense, because if you work on trees, it's 1/2 gold needed. A gold city becomes worth if you got at least 4 pop and getting at least 8 gold per turn plus food to grow, and you shouln't build many gold cities. Only with americans or romans it would work well, but I don't understand it for other civilizations. You get more gold from the tech overflow

I usualy play on king.Its not too easy or hard for me.

Top Bottom