Which Movies Have You Seen Lately? V for Five

I am afraid I cannot speak to the accuracy of the depiction, but it focused on small towns, and pubs, and the like (the Ireland part of the movie was mostly a road trip) - it seemed to portray small town Ireland the way most movies like that treat small town USA, as a sort of curiosity into which our yuppie protagonist finds themselves thrust.

I mean, it was a positive portrayal in the sense that if Ireland were really like that, it would seem like a nice place to visit or even live, but I don't really think Ireland is like that by and large.

I see. Well rural Ireland is quite picturesque. The only motorways in the country are confined to Dublin, so I suppose a road trip (especially in the west) would be more scenic than in countries that actually have a decent transport system.

I was mainly asking about people. Did they do jigs at crossroads and exclaim faith and begorrah at every opportunity? I can't find fault in the pub aspect, we do spend a lot of times in pubs.

I saw Bill Maher's Religilous last night, which consists of awkward interviews with conservative believers, linked by monologues in which Maher explains why rationalists and humanists find religion so disagreeable. The interviews made for difficult viewing: people don't respond well to even his fair questions, after which point he tends to mock them. The monologues were the best part of the movie for me -- pointed, passionate, and funny.

I was mainly asking about people. Did they do jigs at crossroads and exclaim faith and begorrah at every opportunity? I can't find fault in the pub aspect, we do spend a lot of times in pubs.

Well, all the old men were full of folksy wisdom that they couldn't keep straight ("if you start a journey on a Sunday-" "no, a Wednesday-") but that may be true of old men everywhere. They weren't too stereotypically Irish IMO, there was a bunch of drinking and dancing but that was at a wedding reception.

Fair enough. The writer probably realised there's no way he could outdo Irish Jam so he just didn't try.

Most recent movie I saw was the Stepfather. I was raging throughout it simply because of the fact so many cliches could be seen.

Such as the fact EVERYONE in a horror movie is ******ed and thus you wouldn't care less if they died. In fact, you'd probably cheer for it all. Think the jackass of a dad in Orphan.

The horror genre is dead. If you watch a recent horror movie expecting something new then you are setting yourself up for dissappointment from the start, 99% of the time.

The horror genre is dead. If you watch a recent horror movie expecting something new then you are setting yourself up for dissappointment from the start, 99% of the time.

Tell me about it...

"Oooo! You weren't expecting somebody who wasn't there before to appear in the medicine cabinet mirror when they closed it, were you! Woooo!!"

"Oh! You weren't expecting something to pop out at them when they were staring closely at that window, did you?!"

"Ooo! Isn't it realistic that despite all these coincidental murders and incidents, this person keeps dismissing that their favorite person could possibly be a killer!"

"Isn't it realistic that the person always goes to check what a noise was when it would be wisest to just get the eff out of the house?!"

"Oh look! That cop was just murdered yet strangely, no backup has arrived! Backup will only arrive after the protagonists have pwned the antagonist themselves!"

I mean, geez. It's no wonder I sit through SciFi channel horror movies these days. They're so bad it's good. And you get them for free too, unlike the other pieces of crap you have to pay for. (To be fair, at least several SciFi movies have the balls to kill off the entire protagonist cast, rather than have a "and the survivors lived happily ever after!" ending)

Terminator 4: Salvation- pretty much sucked, but my opinion really didn't dive for this film until I watched the next one on my list:

District 9: A cool sci-fi/action film. What Terminator 4 should have been (not exactly, but you get my point). A movie not afraid to cuss, and show blood, body parts etc. I'm so disgusted by PG-13 hollywood. Speaking of pg-13 hollywood

Avatar: This movie while it was the most amazing thing I have ever seen, the movie itself sucked. Typical hollywood liberal trash. They didn't have the balls to portray americans as the bad guys (at least Danced with Wolves had the balls to do so), so they made up some huge corporation with a ridiculously sized army. Sigh.

The Wicker Man (original of course, not some crappy american remake). I don't think I ever saw this, or if I did, it was a tv version. This is a classic, a movie I should have seen by now. Pretty cool flick.

Abre Los Ojos: better than the american version of course. and you get to see more of penelope cruz. Always a nice thing.

letters from iwo jima- pretty good, not Clint's best work, and I feel it was a little too hollywoodized. but Clint is pretty good about keeping too much modern hollywood crap out of his films.

Saw Alice in Wonderland last night in 3D it was ok, seemed to tail off towards the end quite substantially. Anne Hathaways' character was non-existant.

Saw Alice in Wonderland last night in 3D it was ok, seemed to tail off towards the end quite substantially. Anne Hathaways' character was non-existant.

ohohoho I also watch it! I like it :p, I also watch Scary Movie 4 :lol:, my fav from the series :goodjob:, I was wondering about "The Wolfman" any tips??

Edit: My Favorite character of Alice in Wonderland was the red Queen! ohoh

ohohoho I also watch it! I like it :p, I also watch Scary Movie 4 :lol:, my fav from the series :goodjob:, I was wondering about "The Wolfman" any tips??

Edit: My Favorite character of Alice in Wonderland was the red Queen! ohoh

My favourite was the tweedles, generally made me chuckle whenever they were on screen! (which was not enough!)

2009 was a big disappointment. Transformers 2? Good action but cheesy. The Hangover? Just cheesy. Star Trek? Competent, but un-original. And Dear God, who the hell decided to put time travel in there??? In Star Trek, time travel is always an unspoken admission that the writers are out of ideas. Thankfully I didn't have to pay to see any of these.

Avatar? Didn't bother to waste my time. Hell, even I can write better sci-fi than that.

Somebody please blow up Hollywood so some better writers will come out of the woodwork.

The hangover was hilarious, the fact i saw it reeking of booze hungover only made it funnier!

The fact that you saw it after getting smashed seems to explain why you found it hilarious. :)

I was not in a jolly mood when i went to see it i can assure you, an all nighter and one can of coke does not make me sober! That and i have seen it sober and still thought it was hilarious.

Top Bottom