Why am I always Dan Quayle?

Poor Dan Quayle. I guess someone has to be last. :lol:

I usually score Hammurabi or higher now when I do a Space Race victory.

You get the best scores by going for domination wins. To really milk out a high score you also need to grow your population fast. You need to setup the military victory first. Once that is certain then have your workers builds lots of farms/pastures to grow the population at the fastest rate possible.

I went to Civ 4 in the Wikipedia and went down right about halfway to where it says "scoring system", and hence it shows the scoring system. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civ4

i have won games in every way (culture, space race, conquest)
i find that a conquest win will give you a better ranking because there is no AI to rival you.

Watiggi said:
karlhegna, are you kidding? Is that meant to imply that Firaxis/Civ4 considers a 15,000 point score an exceptional score and anything above that is beyond exceptional? Strange. A player can get 20-30K by just doing a "no-thrills" noble small map conquest rush.

Watiggi

That's how I got mine ;) You can see what your final score will be when to pass the pointer over your in game score. It shows the score if you win this round.

I see little relationship in the final score and how skillfully a game has been played. Even in a GOTM the final scores do not make for very good comparisons - even with the same type of win there are too many varialbes.

Slip de Garcon said:
I got Augustus the other day!

I always assumed you had to be successful militarily, whereas I'd only had one early war, then five millenia of peace...

Yep same here. I was 1 turn short of the space race victory when i won(Time Victory) . I was FAR more advanced than all the other civs (i was on future techs and they still had infantry or less) and still got Quale . It seems to be designed in a way that you almost need to conquer to get a high score which isent somthing im too happy with

So how do we change the historical names linked within " Rank Leader Score " where is this information stored ?

The highest I have gotten is Simon Bolivar, from a brutal nuclear-assisted domination win in 1974. (I just realized-I should have dragged the war on ten more years, then I would have conquered the world on 1984! ;)

Sisiutil said:
It's nice to know he's doomed to be a footnote in the annals of history, at best. :lol:

The future will be better tomorrow.

I usually get that rank. My best rank was Ivan the Terrible.

...that didn't make me feel any better.

I can get a domination 20k+ augustus caesar playing prince. I usually play fractual with 12 opponets (13 players total including myself). If I go for space race I usually end up some place in the middle and time usually gets quayle or ethelred the unready. I think the game is a little biased towards war-driven wins. I have yet to win a diplomatic victory. Usually the civs abstain or the vote is split and falls short.

I've gotten Caesar before, but it's hard for me. That's the only thing I don't like about CIV 4 really, that they made the worst guy someone living, Dan Quayle. I really feel sorry for that guy, getting heckled for the "potatoe" incident and all. What if he had Civilization? Man...I really do feel for him.

Dan Quayle being last place has been a Civ hallmark since II, maybe even I.

On an unrelated note, 56 months' worth of thread necromancy is pretty gruesome.

Ugh, necrothread.

6. Do all the above at as high a difficulty level as possible.

this last one doesn't make sense. surely the first five categories in your list are relative to the difficulty level you are currently playing, which is why its possible to achieve a ranking of 1st whether you play Chieftain or Deity...

I think that maybe this thread got revived because the actual Dan Quayle googled his name, saw this pop up in one of the result page, and really, really wanted to know why it's that way for him too.

Well, I can hope anyways.

Wow from 2006.

2006 Was an entirely dfferen't world back then kids, back in the time of humans landing on the moon and world peace was inevitable.

Fifty six months after the fact, I still vote quechua rush for farming an absurd score on zero-effort. The engine seems to see fit to slap a ~200,000 point normalization on runaway BC domination wins.

Top Bottom