Wonders of the Ancient World Scenario

Just won on Deity as Egypt on the historical map. I moved my settler to the east and founded Memphis on a coastal silver deposit with a marble tile in the second ring.

Initial build order was scout, scout, settler, settler (bought an archer for barb defence). First policy was tradition opener, then a couple of lucky culture ruins enabled me to take Legalism to get my monument for free. I then went into Liberty (opener, free worker), then back to Tradition for the boost to wonder production. I managed to get 4 cities settled by turn 45-ish, all with free monuments, and built the Pyramids in the capital.

The next phase involved building a small army and waging war on Sharuhen to unlock Zeus and the Lighthouse. The Mausoleum unlocked a few turns after I finished building Zeus in the capital. At this point, Persia DoWed me and sent a few horsemen over - a welcome contribution to my wonder unlocking endeavours.

As my capital was on a coastal hill and had marble by this point, it was quicker to wait until I'd built the MoH and go straight into the Lighthouse, rather than risking building it in my second coastal city.

I had 4 wonders by turn 107, and it was then just a case of waiting for someone to build the Great Library and ending the game. Achievement 175/176... just Genghis Khan to go.

Congratulations :goodjob:

Deity Genghis scenario is quite a challenge ;)

I'm trying to pound the rest of the Wonders achievements, so I tried Gilgamesh on Immortal this time. Alex built the Pyramids, the Statue of Zeus and the Temple of Artemis, so I swarmed him with an army of angry Phalanx (suck that companion cav). I captured his three wonders but my score didn't go up by any appreciable amount. Even though I built the Great Lighthouse and the Mausoleum, my 5 wonders still lost to the Hittites, who built both of the tech wonders and the Colossus (Persia got the Oracle, as it seems to always be the case).

So what happened? Do captured wonders earn you less/no points?

Thanks to Gwen (and others who posted advices in this thread also), finally succeded to beat Deity using your strategy. I built the 2 culture Wonders and the 2 military ones to turn 96 and then waited. I could have lost if Darius made 4 Wonders but fortunately he lost Oracle (first time I see that) and another one.
Hittites and Darius declared war for the last 20-30 turns but only attacked with few warriors and archers so no worries.
Never imagined I will ever reach 26 production/turn in Egypt's capital, so important to not settle Memphis immediatly but move to the east 2 turns on that hill.
Now at 174 of 176 achievements, only Mongol on Immortal and Deity still left, so time to study again :)

I must either be missing something fundamental, or getting utterly terrible resource rolls. My best attempt yet got the Pyramids, and that's it. There doesn't seem to be enough food when moving east from Egypt's starting point to get decent production out of the city. Persia just runs away with the rest of the wonders from what I've seen.

This is my last difficult achievement left to get!

I must either be missing something fundamental, or getting utterly terrible resource rolls. My best attempt yet got the Pyramids, and that's it. There doesn't seem to be enough food when moving east from Egypt's starting point to get decent production out of the city. Persia just runs away with the rest of the wonders from what I've seen.

This is my last difficult achievement left to get!

There wasn't a lot of food initially in the capital for my game, but I did get 2 extra citizens from ruins. I had to micro them a bit to prevent starvation - full production focus just wasn't viable at the start. IIRC I bought a granary to allow me to work a few more hammer tiles quickly.

There wasn't a lot of food initially in the capital for my game, but I did get 2 extra citizens from ruins. I had to micro them a bit to prevent starvation - full production focus just wasn't viable at the start. IIRC I bought a granary to allow me to work a few more hammer tiles quickly.

Try using the save Haphaz from post #57 in this thread.

How does the scoring work?

I'm playing first time through, on King level as Hittites on inland sea map. So far, I've built Oracle, two other civs have built one wonder each. I can't figure out how the computer will score the game. Is it largely based on how many wonders I build/conquer by the end?

If you get the most Wonders you should win. If it's tied, say you get 4 and another AI gets 4, it will depend on which Wonders you both get.

OK, I think I've answered my own question. I won at King as the Hittites, then at Emperor as Egypt. It looks like the game scores each wonder at 800 points, so as Supr49er said, if you get the most wonders you should win. If the game ends and an opponent has one more wonder than you, it's really hard to make up the 800 point deficit.

I used a few strategies here to get my diety win, using Egypt. Here are my 2¢ to help others out:

Rerun the scenario until you get an ideal start (good lux along the Nile and a marble in the mountains to the east). If you don't get these, reload. This may be a bit exploitative, but you're reading this because you want to win, right? Strategy can only take you so far if the dice keep breaking against you, so you may as well start off with at least one roll on your side.

I've done the scenario on the upper difficulties as Egypt, and each time, I'd send my settler southeast to settle Memphis. Sure, crossing the river puts you a turn behind in an already odds-down game, but being closer to the hills and marble is worth it.

For us vets of Rhyes and Fall, the temptation is there to play historically on an historical map, to settle in the northwest to build the coastal wonders, but I've found the best thing to do is to build your coastal city on the Red Sea, east of the hills somewhere, or even on the other side on the western Sinai peninsula. The key, however, is to build it within enough hexes that it can share the marble with Memphis. Since the port city is going to be small, it's production will be low, so being able to flip that marble from Memphis to the coast city will help alleviate that handicap.

As for huts, I sent my warrior and first scout into Arabia, then sent my second scout into Afrika. Then I DOW'ed anyone who sent a healthy scout into Afrika to make sure I could keep all the huts there to myself. Weak scouts were usually picked off, so I usually only worried about the healthy ones.

Also, get a chariot launched as soon as possible. If they find advanced weapons, they turn into knights, and then the game turns into all kinds of lol. Experience points for war wonders rack up quickly when CS archers and spears get slaughtered at the hands of even level zero knights, and the weak ancient and classical era cities are no match for them.

Station a unit or two outside of Cyrene and slaughter barbs for them. As with any game of CiV, the maritime states are your best friends, and you can keep Cyrene as a free ally from barb kills alone. The free food can keep you from starving as you work food-free mined hills, so they are good to have when building wonders.

If you see a rival building a wonder you're working on, DOW them. If you're lucky, it might spook them into building some units. On my immortal game, I lost on my last turn to Gilgamesh, because Alexander beat me to the Colossus by ONE TURN. I tried going back to an auto save 10 turns prior, but as countless sci-fi has taught me, temporal tampering can have unintended consequences . . . this time Alex built it 3 turns sooner. I got the crazy idea of loading the autosave before the loss and declaring war, since he made a comment about how great my army was, and sure enough it worked - my declaration caused him to change his build orders and I pulled out the win. I've done this at least twice, being beaten by a single turn to a wonder, then reloading the autosave and declaring war. I can't confirm it will always work (if your army isn't impressive, it might not), but it's worth mentioning.

Other than that, good luck! ;)

I've just won an OCC with Sumer on king with a historic map. It was pretty easy with settling the GS and then going for the NC. I made the mistake of going after Civil service too soon, which took a long time. My city did reach population 30 before the end of the game though. My gold income was pretty huge. I had a pretty big headstart when only the colussus and GL were left. I decided to build another city and buy any usefull building right away to grow it quickly. Got beaten to colussus but did end the game by building GL.

I rather like this scenario. I'm going to give it another try with an inland sea with hittites, going for emperor or immortal this time.

Whats up with the map in this scenario?

Am I the only one who sees what appears to be a seashore, only there is no ocean? Nothing, just blank, gray space.

This is just to the east of where your units appear when you begin the scenario.

I've tried directx9 and 11, both have this problem.

Is this an ocean that didn't get drawn, or am I missing part of the map?

Is this the default map? What Civ are you playing ?

At least I won at deity level! Persia was fine for me. My first objective was to build Oracle, fortunately, I did it at turn 43. Then I created one city to the west of first city, and with two workers (thanks to liberty tree), I developed the terrain near both cities, and into them I built 6 archers and 3 inmortals. I decided to allow Gilgamesh AI to grow until 5 cities, in order to make easy for him to build at least one marvel, and well, they did it :), Artemis temple was near my army. Once this happened I attacked them, taking control of 3 of their cities, including Artemis owner. With the experience adquired Zeus temple was unlocked and fastly I built it. I settled one more city at northeast of map, in the coast, for future Great lighthouse when liberty tree would give me a wonderfull engineer. Fortunately, Great Library was built at Gilgamesh capitol, and with the help of iron it conquer was easy. After that only lighthouse stayed without been constructed, but all the needed tools were ready. Simply click at engineer and wait for beginning next turn to enjoy with my suffered victory :)

I'm trying to pound the rest of the Wonders achievements, so I tried Gilgamesh on Immortal this time. Alex built the Pyramids, the Statue of Zeus and the Temple of Artemis, so I swarmed him with an army of angry Phalanx (suck that companion cav). I captured his three wonders but my score didn't go up by any appreciable amount. Even though I built the Great Lighthouse and the Mausoleum, my 5 wonders still lost to the Hittites, who built both of the tech wonders and the Colossus (Persia got the Oracle, as it seems to always be the case).

So what happened? Do captured wonders earn you less/no points?

This thread seems pretty dead, but I thought I would revive it as I'll be trying for the Deity win pretty soon. So far I've won with 4 different civ's up to Emperor. Two civs to go and Immortal and Deity to go.

As for scoring, I took a city that had 3 wonders for the achievement, and noticed that apparently the scoring for the wonders is divided into 2 parts. You get some score for building the wonder, whether you still have it or not, and additional score for currently owning it. So while building 4 wonders will normally win you the game, capturing 3 and building one will not. The voice of experience :(

Using the info here, I managed to succeed in a Deity game. Egypt seems to be the best. I settled on turn 3 on gold, with marble and silver in range. Reroll until you get a mining lux and marble. Went after Pyramids first, skipping the Oracle. First city ended up being my only wonder producer, the other two were for luxes to sell. Concentrate on culture, income and experience. I managed to get 5 wonders built.

I personally have had success with the hittites. if you move your original settlers south east to settle on that riverside hill by turn 3, there should be marble within your third ring, making your capital much more productive than if you just settle in place... This is for the historical setting btw. Then, one city on the coast, and the rest due straight east, following the river for more hills and riverside tiles.. that should be all the production you need. and your UB is walls that give gold. Finally, a fairly central location (well, quite far from egypt, but persia usually seems to be the main problem) makes intervention easier.

Just bought the Gold upgrade this weekend since it was on sale, and decided to start with the Wonders Deity achievement. Yikes! Most difficult of the non-bugged achievements so far, and I've done all the achievements from Vanilla and G&K packs, including those 4 scenarios.

I failed several times until I read this thread, and I found that the key was in Haphaz's advice in comment #54 where he suggested trading for GPT instead of just gold. That one trick made all the difference compared to my previous attempts, though it was still a tight game. I did restart several times to get a favorable start. Played Egypt on historical map as many others suggested, starting position was 4 sugar plus one silver within the 3rd ring after settling on first turn (didn't cross river). The silver was shared with my second (coastal) city, which had another silver to itself, plus marble in its third ring. The marble probably wasn't really needed since Darius doesn't go for the coastal wonders.

I made detailed notes on my timeline but the condensed version is:
Build order: scout, scout, monument
Social: Liberty, settler (turn 15), worker (turn 28), Tradition (turn 45), Wonder production (turn 72)
Purchase: settler on turn 21, archer (barbarians were swarming my cities), monument for 3rd city.

Three cities settled by turn 25, fourth city on turn 52.

Wonders:
Darius completed Oracle on the 34-35 turn transition.
Pyramids unlocked on turn 48, but Darius finished before me on turn 60.
Artemis unlocked on 52, started building in Heliopolis (coastal), but switched to capital when Pyramids abandoned. I finished it turn 75.
Zeus unlocked turn 74, started on 75 after Artemis completed. Finished building turn 85.
Colossus unlocked turn 75, started turn 76 (was building stoneworks), completed turn 86.
Great Lighthouse unlocked turn 85, started turn 86 after Colossus, completed turn 99.
Mausoleum unlocked/started turn 88, finished turn 98.

Darius completed Hanging Gardens on turn 87. Gilgamesh completed Great Library on turn 113 but even if Darius had, I still would have beat him.

I did milk Darius on turn 83 (915 Gold) and then declared war on him. I consider this to be an exploit much like restarting to get a favourable starting position, but I don't think this scenario is actually possible on Deity without a favourable start. I probably could have won without milking him, but the declaration of war probably was important.

A bit disappointed that I didn't get the achievement unlocks for Immortal, Emperor, King, and Prince. Only for Deity. Oh well, I have to play as the other civs for those unlocks anyway. It's suspect it will be relatively easy.

Top Bottom