World War II in the Pacific

I'm interested. I've downloaded it and it looks good.

Cool. It's definitely designed as a multiplayer scenario so if we can get 2 other players maybe we can get a play by email beta test game going.

I haven't played the original mod, but Australia looks tough to defend. Large and no defenders in half the towns. Perth will be the new British Stalingrad.

cav_scout was my valiant opponent during the last game. I am suggesting a private game with us 3, but now cav_scout can be Japan, I will be USA and met966 (I hope 966 is not an ASCII code for "h", :lol:) can rule over British and Chinese. Otherwise we need to find another player for China.

cav_scout was my valiant opponent during the last game. I am suggesting a private game with us 3, but now cav_scout can be Japan, I will be USA and met966 (I hope 966 is not an ASCII code for "h", :lol:) can rule over British and Chinese. Otherwise we need to find another player for China.

Sounds good! It would be great if we could find a fourth person... there must be someone wanting to join us who could play China.

And speaking of China- one of my goals is to balance things so the Chinese and Japanese are effectively stalemated until around the Ichi-Go offensive in 1944. One of the ways I did this was to lock all the units in the Kwangtung Army in Manchuria (now I just need to figure out how to selectively unlock them to match the historical dates that these troops were released to reinforce other theatres...).

met966 said:
I haven't played the original mod, but Australia looks tough to defend. Large and no defenders in half the towns. Perth will be the new British Stalingrad.
Yep, it's historically accurate with all the correct brigades in the right locations. Your best bet will be to avoid a Japanese landing in the first place.

I did invite a player, but in general there is no many pros in having China played by 4th human, but there are many cons. It is the least exciting civ to play, units are generally bound to defend, game pace with turnarounds drops exponentially with every extra player, allied diplomacy emails get more complicated, etc. Last time we had British playing Chinese, which was legitimate arrangement.

Do we have asterisks after names of objective cities for easy tracking?

Same house rules as last time can be in place:

- no carrier should be attacked on first turn (both US and Japanese)
- no gold exploit

Ships do not heal anywhere except ports anyway, so this rule can be dropped...

With just 3 of us we wont need to open a new thread and can have a private game, discussing everything via emails. Met669, did you get my email, by the way?

Regarding China- Even with things stalemated there will still be alot of maneuvering against the Japanese player. And if one of these two players doesn't play smartly they could quickly find themselves outmaneuvered and the stalemate could change to a rout.

I think having a fourth player would be beneficial. It adds to the fun to have a council of allies plotting strategy and would provide an extra set of eyes for the Beta testing.

The big drawback of course is the increased time needed to play turns, especially if someone gets busy with real life. The solution is for the allied players to share passwords and agreee to sub for each other when needed to keep the game going. With this in place a fourth player would actually provide some redundancy.

How difficult would it be for me to get in on being player number 4?

Also, is it done in sessions? Or pbem?

Well seeing as you are the fourth person to express interest you are welcome to play China.

We will be playing by PBEM as individual turns (especially for Japan) can take quite some time. It wouldn't be uncommon to examine the map and spend 30-40 mins plotting your strategy before moving a single unit during your turn for example.

When things are going smooth you will usually play a turn every 1-2 days. So anyone looking for a fast paced game is going to be disappointed.

It's pretty simple:

1. Japanese player plays his turn and hits end turn.
2. A save file gets created in the saved game directory under "pbem".
3. Japanese player emails this save file to the American player as an attachment.
4. American player places this save file in his "pbem" directory
5. American player starts Civ 4 and loads up the WWII in the Pacific Expanded Edition Mod
6. American player selects "multiplayer", "pbem", "load game" and then selects the save file.
7. American player plays his turn and hits end turn.... so on and so forth.

Turn order is Japan, America, Commonwealth, China, AI countries (played automatically after China ends turn).

I would probably prefer three players also, so I get China and Britain, however whatever you guys decide is fine by me. There's a possibility of Japan vs China being a complete rout due to my lack of experience with multi-player, although we will see how we go.

Tigranes I got your email, turnaround times should be pretty quick with me.

Four players are fine for the purposes of testing. We can share password too -- in fact I assume we are all gentlemen and don't even need passwords (it saves 2 second of your life). I don't want to spoil the fun and discover Japanese plans.

I forgot to mention 2 additional suggested house rules which can be used as exploits: no gifting units and no gifting cities except to the original 1937 owner. Theoretically Japan can capture Alaska and give it to Soviets :)

So here is what i'm thinking for house rules:

1. Japan doesn't attack the allied carriers or the Louisville and Pensacola convoys on the first turn. Japanese carriers are fair game if you can find them though.

2. No unit gifting.

3. No city gifting except to the original 1937 owner.

4. No gold exploits.

5. Commonwealth player disbands the pre-war fighter that is parked on the same ocean tile as the the HMAS Adelaide. This was a misclick and this unit should not be in the game (it will be removed during the next version update).

6. If all allied units on Luzon are destroyed the American player will delete any remaining garrison units in the Phillippines (Cebu and Davao). This will simulate the historical surrender of these forces. In a future version update I will put some python in that will make this a triggerable event.

I am happy with all the rules except for #6. In real life Japanese successes made impossible rapid resupply and resistance in Philippines. If human player finds the way to do it -- more kudos to him. We cannot be too deterministic, but rather make it easier for Japan to gain an upper hand at first.
And indeed -- Philippines are so much closer to Japan than to mainland USA: smart Japanese player should have no problems bombing Americans to death from the sea and air...

As for #5 -- you will be the one who will start the game, you can edit original Private Map file any way you wish -- it will not disturb our game. Just delete them yourself, and fire up the game!

Top Bottom