You got a real problem here

DCGolliher

Chieftain
Me and 195 other players in Richard's #4643 just got SCREWED out of an entire week's worth of game investment because 4 jerks started a closed border country last nite and spent God knows how much cash on CivBucks to completely run the table on EVERYTHING the last 8 entire Eras of the game--in less than 6 hours.
I would gladly pay a monthly fee to play this game, but I am never going to play this game again until you take the damn CivBucks out of it.

A very good chance those 4 jerks were actually one huge bastard.

The first quarter of the game you won't notice if there are foul players in the game, because you won't get many fame points for era wins.
Cheaters are mainly interested in getting enough fame points to win the game (reward = 25 civbucks) in a very short time.
And later science era wins are the best to get the most fame points.

When a civ suddenly starts to tech fast, you can bet there's something not kosher.

Example from a last week game :
One civ was quiet until Monarchy was up as a science era win and then it started to research really fast.
I joined that civ around Steam Power, no communication and no contribution when Printing Press was on as a science era win.
(The cheater was running Patent Office and probably thinking he/she was safe.)
And then the top player of that civ left and founded a new civ.
It was very embarrassing to see all other 7-8 "players" leaving like lemmings and joining one by one the new civ.
I couldn't join, because the new cheater civ had closed borders as soon as everyone was in.

Yeh, it probably was one guy, who has obviously done this before and with his 25 CivBuck reward will do it again--unless 2K does something about it.

The bottom line is 195 customers will wake up this morning and have no idea why their game is gone. Like I said, you've got a real big problem here.

A very good chance those 4 jerks were actually one huge bastard.

The first quarter of the game you won't notice if there are foul players in the game, because you won't get many fame points for era wins.
Cheaters are mainly interested in getting enough fame points to win the game (reward = 25 civbucks) in a very short time.
And later science era wins are the best to get the most fame points.

When a civ suddenly starts to tech fast, you can bet there's something not kosher.

Example from a last week game :
One civ was quiet until Monarchy was up as a science era win and then it started to research really fast.
I joined that civ around Steam Power, no communication and no contribution when Printing Press was on as a science era win.
It was very embarrassing to see all other 7-8 "players" leaving like lemmings and joining one by one the new civ.
I couldn't join, because the new cheater civ had closed borders as soon as everyone was in.

Lol, that sounds like what me and my friends had to do. We had some idiot join our civ before we could close the borders, and he kept voting against the proposals we were putting in. Finally we got fed up, started a new civ and closed the borders before he could follow us.

Were you the idiot?

Very unlikely. I don't remember any voting.
What was the old and new civ?

Me and 195 other players in Richard's #4643 just got SCREWED out of an entire week's worth of game investment because 4 jerks started a closed border country last nite and spent God knows how much cash on CivBucks to completely run the table on EVERYTHING the last 8 entire Eras of the game--in less than 6 hours.
I would gladly pay a monthly fee to play this game, but I am never going to play this game again until you take the damn CivBucks out of it.

Why would they change something they put in exactly for the purpose you described? They want everyone to blow as much cash as possible trying to "win" that pathetic little game they made.

They want everyone to blow as much cash as possible trying to "win" that pathetic little game they made.

This is the part I don't get from the consumer point of view. It obviously takes more than 25 Civbucks to jump into a game late and rack up enough fame to win. I would think it would take 5-10 times that amount (no desire to try it). So, who are these people that spend their real money to win a game of CivWorld? And do they keep doing it again and again? What's the point of that?

CivWorld isn't the only game that this happens in. It happens in any game where you can buy your wins w/perks. The point is the satisfaction of winning! That's it! They'll spend any amount of money just for the win. :/

Having said that though, our civ (a very large one) was just totally defeated by a 4 player civ!! At the last second, they (she b/c I think it's run by one person) threw in hundreds of troops, far more than we could muster. The civ has 3 wonders, but she has 4 Culture medals! Also, in this game where it is taking 2 1/2 - 3 hours for each harvest to come, she gained the Economics medal. That can only mean that she has bought an enormous amount of gold so she could buy the military units she needed to win. Personally, I can't afford to be throwing that kind of money into a game.

CivWorld isn't the only game that this happens in. It happens in any game where you can buy your wins w/perks. The point is the satisfaction of winning! That's it! They'll spend any amount of money just for the win. :/

Having said that though, our civ (a very large one) was just totally defeated by a 4 player civ!! At the last second, they (she b/c I think it's run by one person) threw in hundreds of troops, far more than we could muster. The civ has 3 wonders, but she has 4 Culture medals! Also, in this game where it is taking 2 1/2 - 3 hours for each harvest to come, she gained the Economics medal. That can only mean that she has bought an enormous amount of gold so she could buy the military units she needed to win. Personally, I can't afford to be throwing that kind of money into a game.

Culture medals come from Wonder Events too, not to mention she could have gotten them in a previous civ before joining/creating another. Likewise, economic medals could be earned from winning the caravan game or selling off stuff in the market (like excess food/science/culture/GPs/commodities. Add to that that early on it doesn't take much to earn an economic medal, neither of those things say to me they're a cheap player, buying their wins. And production could have also easily been saved up for just such an occasion. And are you sure she wasn't holding units back in reserve, waiting for the battle to begin to lull you into overconfidence? It's a legit tactic.

That's exactly what she did. I knew she would do it. What surprises me though is that her civ only has 4 players. Production in the market is very expensive right now (has been from the start) and harvests are taking 2 1/2 - 3 hrs each!

Tatran said:

Lol, that sounds like what me and my friends had to do. We had some idiot join our civ before we could close the borders, and he kept voting against the proposals we were putting in. Finally we got fed up, started a new civ and closed the borders before he could follow us.

These pictures were posted recently in a thread at the 2k civ world forum.
Despite it happened more than 5 months ago, I do remember the name of GaryS and some others.
He left first and the "others" followed one by one.

Maybe, he was JasonS earlier before renaming himself GaryS.
That JasonS person was calling me names, the usual rich vocabulaire (SoB, MF, etc) for almost an hour during a few battles which he lost.
Too bad I've deleted the pictures where his nicks were spamming my chat box.
The language he used wasn't appropriate to post anyway.

Top Bottom