Your 5 Favorite Games That Are Not Civilization

Lemon Merchant

Not Quite Sonic
Retired Moderator
I shamelessly admit that I got this idea from another thread, :p

So kids, a lot has been mentioned about games lately. We all play them. But what do we play? Just for fun, lets list our five favorite games in any order that are not Civ related. Maybe we'll find some new games to try out before Civ 6 is released.

Mine, in no particular order are:

- Stellaris
- Alien Isolation
- Portal
- Xcom: Enemy Unknown/Within
- Fallout: New Vegas

That's mine. ( I know, you're thinking "Gee Lemon, you're a weird lady!", but I like weird games.)

Now show me yours. :D

My answers are the same as in the other thread :D
Halo 1
Medieval 2: Total War
Company of Heroes
Call of Duty 2
And Civ 4 even though it says non-civ because it's just that good

Like Lexicus I also mentioned mine in another thread. Mine, in no order are:

- PS3 and PS4 FPS such as Black OPS III, Black OPS AW, Battlefield III and IV.
- All Starcraft PC games (I started playing original in 1998) w/ emphasis on SC2 LOTV.
- Civ III and Civ IV (emphais on IV) - Can't include a game that isn't Civ (sacrilege!)
- Soren Johnsons Offworld Trading Company (absolutely Love It!)
- Might and Magic II (I was playing this in HS back in the late 80's)

Starcraft is the series that has really stole the show imho. They started off in the mid-late 90's with a great but simple RTS in Starcraft. Over the years they kept adding more and more game detail (aesthetics) and most importantly, more game depth and strategy. It's hard to even keep up with how much this series has continually added.

Better graphics, more and better units, amazing game balance, untouched reactional game play with better implemented key board and mouse controls and customization, good map balance, etc, etc. SC (especially SC2 LoTV), with every new iteration brought a better game in every shape and form possible (to include sales and popularity).

Mine, though havent played some in years...

TES Oblivion. Played skyrim too, but not enjoying it so much

Silent Hunter 4. SH5 was a buggy, unplayable mess.

ARMA 2. Great mil sim

Dominations. Mobile civ meets clash of clans by Bryan Reynolds (civ 2 lead dev)

Dark Age of Camelot (available on freeshard)
Warhammer Online (went offline but was awesome until the target limit was introduced)
RIFT (best raiding game I know, didn't play WoW though)
The Elder Scrolls Online (was awesome until the target limit was introduced)

The upcomming "Camelot Unchained" (will be awesome and hopefully no target limit will be introduced)

My 5 most played non civ games.

1. Diablo 2 Lord of Destruction. My favorite game. Still play it. Its sequel was a horrid game for various reasons so have not gotten.
2. Redacted to be in compliance with thread rules.
Spoiler :
Civilization 4 Beyond The Sword.

3. The Elder Scrolls 5 Skyrim. On break from the game. Will one day play again. Of note I also played and loved Morrowind and got but hated and quickly stopped playing Oblivion.
4. Team Fortress 2. No longer play and will not play again. Stopped about 4 months after it became free to play because of the influx of cheaters and trolls in it.
5. Borderlands 1. Still play albeit rarely. Have never played co-op. Played sequel however 2 has a horrid loot system so no longer play. 1 Has a great loot system and slightly better combat due to enemies not being silly damage sponges and no suicide bomber enemies that insta-kill (in the base game anyway).
6. Final Fantasy 6. Great game. Still play albeit rarely. Sadly the series has not had a good game since 9. FF10 and everything after has been horrid. Also FF8 is bad. A once great series has been killed.

Mostly classics and just 1 new game, so let's start with the new ;)
Divinity OS. Funny and great atmo rpg.

Homm 3 (even better than Civ4 /hides)

Baldurs Gate 1 & 2

Might & Magic 6

Gabriel Knight 1 & 2, best adventure games for me. Probably cos good horror was so rare in gaming.

And maybe not top 5, but still too good memories not to mention..
The Longest Journey, Populous 3, Day of the Tentacle, Dungeon Keeper.

Will this be useful i dunno ;)
Maybe somebody wants to hire me as history teacher.

These stick out. Timeless games which I still play today.

Warcraft 3 TFT
HOMM 3
Chess
Quake 3 Arena (these days rebooted as quakelive, but same thing)

All good things come in threes? :)

Nobody's mentioning MoO II?

1. TES series. I have played everything from daggerfall on, and it's hard for me to say which is the best. I wish I could take some from each of the games. I first played Oblivion and loved it, which made me try the other ones before it, and eventually Skyrim when it came out.

2. Final Fantasy 6 (3 US). This was for a long, long time my favourite game, but TES-series beats it out now.

3. Chrono Trigger.

4. GTA: San Andreas.

5: EDIT: Dang, I forgot about the classic that brought me (eventually) to Civ 4: SMAC! That was the first 4X game I've ever played, and it's good enough for the 5th spot.

Now outdated info:
Spoiler :
5. It's hard to pick a fifth because there are so many good games. Fallout New Vegas? Fallout 2? Red Dead Redemption? HOMM? Earthbound? Goldeneye? Conker's Bad Fur Day (a weird one, but my friends and I played it a LOT after school)? Halo 2? Any of the Zombie Maps from COD games? I don't know. I could pick any of these.

EDIT: And the one I have spent the single-most time playing, since I realize the thread just says "games," Dungeons and Dragons.

Nobody's mentioning MoO II?

I'll mention Moo2!

I still play the retro Microprose titles occasionally; Master of Magic, Master of Orion 2, Civ1, and Darklands are my favorite of the breed.

Favorite game of all time is unfortunately not civ, it's Guild Wars; though between that and Civ you get basically everything that could possibly be good in video games; I haven't bought a new game in like 10 years, since Civ4 and GW, because I feel like it's all just downhill from those high water marks. Pointless to try to recreate that phase of my life.

I literally haven’t played a non-Civ computer game on my own for years. I’ll play Pac-Man World Rally on the old PS2 with my son, and he can talk me into Angry Birds on the tablet, sometimes. Do those count? :p

Master of Orion II
Starcraft 1 vanilla (broodwars is no doubt better just never played it)
Warlords II
Chess
Online Poker

Hmmnn, tough call on top 5..

1) Privateer
2) Stellar Conquest
3) Civ's II and IV ( it's a tie)
4) Halo CE
5) Final Fantasy VII

Numerous honorable mentions, but those would probably be my top 5.

(do I spot a My sighting ;))

Oh fun, a favorite games discussion. As usual, I will be verbose.

In no particular order, except maybe chronological:

1) Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive (German developer)- When I first got into gaming I pretty much messed around with Age of Empires II and squad based games like Commandos. Then I found Desperados in a bargain bin and it really sucked me into gaming. Basically Commandos in the Wild West. Pretty much a cult classic. Difficult, funny and fun. I still play it once in a while. (GOG has it)

2) Silent Storm Gold/Hammer&Sickle(Russian Developer) Honestly, this is actually probably my favorite game of all time. Squad-Based TBS set in WWII of the X-Com/Jagged Alliance mold. I found this game when it was awarded Best Game No One Played by Gamespot in 2005. Extra deep turned based strategy with minor role-play elements. I sucked tons of hours into this game, and still play it. Like Civ IV the graphics will never grow old. First game I ever played with destructible environments. Scouts and Snipers have never been so much fun. "Sentinels", the expansion part of the Gold version, is just awesome beyond description.(you can get SS on GOG) ...oh..and Hammer & Sickle was a follow-up game that was even more challenging and rpg-y

3) Medieval II Total War - This, and DOW I, took up much of my gaming time prior to getting into Civ IV. My old avatar of a Welsh archer (Saethwyr) came from this game. In fact, it was probably this game that led me to the Civ series. Ha..and now they just released DOW: Total War, although no other Total War quite had the magic for me as this game. Gotta love expanding your empire until the Mongol Hordes spawn on the map. So much depth to this game. (edit: Should clarify that Warhammer: Total War was just released)

4) Europa Universalis IV - Grandest of Grand Strategy. Probably logged about as many hours now in this game as Civ IV. Like IV, this game is dangerously addicting, and you can keep playing and starting new games over and over. Plus, it is continuously updated and patched.

5) Mount & Blade Warband (Turkish) I actually bought in on the alpha stage when this game was in development. That is, the developer partly funded the game by allowing folks to pay a one time small amount to play early versions - way before kickstarter was a thing - then get a full license at release. A low end game by design and necessity, it is probably the best Medieval combat simulator ever. Basically, M&B is a sandbox/strategy/rpg with emphasis on sandbox. But a huge modding community has made great stuff for it from original to LOTR, GOT, Tamriel, etc. But, man, the combat is so awesome. If you like archery/horse archery, this is the best there is. I've played this so much, still do, and always will..although the game will finally get a sequel in the near future which should be much higher end. "Brytenwalda" is a must-play mod, if you get this game.

Honorable Mentions:

DOW I (not II ..ugh..not II) (edit: Dawn of War for those not familiar - Warhammer 40,000)
COH I
The Longest Journey/Dreamfall/Dreamfall Chapters (if you like Adventure, this is probably the best ever. Highly original and emotional storytelling)
Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness (Yes, the most hated Tomb Raider is my favorite)
Crusader Kings II
Second Sight (obscure cult action action adventure game with highly engaging story and great game mechanics. I don't even know where you can get it now. It's not even on Steam)
Soldiers: Heroes of WWI
Commandos II and III
Prince of Persia

Splatoon (Wii U)

I'm B+ ranked, anyone wants to friend me send a DM :)

Street Fighter II Turbo Edition (Arcade)

I live near the National Videogame Arcade, we've got a nice scene around here.

Puyo Puyo 2 (SNES)

Puzzle game with versus play. Sorry, comrades, it's even better than Tetris :)

Terranigma (SNES)

I don't like J-RPGs but I love this, it's got such lovely aesthetics and it's got quite a Civ feel about it in places.

Warhammer 40,000 (Tabletop)

I'm a rather dedicated hobbyist, you can see some of my projects here and on Dakkadakka. #HorusWasRight :)

Football Manager, MOO2... and then there's a bunch of games I play from time to time like Open TTD and X3 Reunion, but not often enough to mention them in the same breath as Civ4.

2) Silent Storm Gold/Hammer&Sickle(Russian Developer) Honestly, this is actually probably my favorite game of all time. Squad-Based TBS set in WWII of the X-Com/Jagged Alliance mold. I found this game when it was awarded Best Game No One Played by Gamespot in 2005. Extra deep turned based strategy with minor role-play elements. I sucked tons of hours into this game, and still play it. Like Civ IV the graphics will never grow old. First game I ever played with destructible environments. Scouts and Snipers have never been so much fun. "Sentinels", the expansion part of the Gold version, is just awesome beyond description.(you can get SS on GOG) ...oh..and Hammer & Sickle was a follow-up game that was even more challenging and rpg-y
Silent Storm is awesome. I picked up that and Sentinels on a Steam sale. I've been having a blast with it ever since.

I'm obviously not a pacifist. :lol:

Top Bottom