Your most frequent runaways

The run-a-ways I see regularly are Iriquois, Germany, and America.

Well, after just recently getting back into civ it looks like AI Hiawatha is going to win a space victory for the 2nd game in just 3 games played pretty soon.... and there isn't a damn thing anyone can do to stop him. And in the game I did win Russia came fairly close, winning with at least 35 cities. Although that game was an OCC for me, so I was never an obstacle to her expansion. (and apparently neither were the English, Spanish, Huns, or Japanese :lol: )

edit: I think the celts might have the potential to runaway, they expand pretty aggressivley. However the game I saw them in I was there only neighbor, so I never got to see how they fair against the other AIs

I have a lot more trouble with a runaway Pachacuti than a runaway Hiawatha. In my current game, Pachacuti owns one of the two continents, with Nebby (me), Elizabeth and Dido on the other. He has double my score, and every game where he's in, is like this.

In my last game (huge), one continent was the Iroquois, Mongolia, Rome, France, India, and Persia. By the time I got overseas to see what was there, Mongolia and Persia were only puppets, and France had 2 small cities, Rome was relegated to a corner, and France was in the middle of a war, which would be badly lost.

India tends to runaway regularly when paired with highly aggressive civs, for me. It seems that Gandhi loathes being the aggressor, but if someone declares on him early, his well developed cities outproduce the poorly developed cities of expansionist civs, and with his love of growing tall and making his cities really count, as well as his love of nukes...thankfully, it only happens when he is paired with someone likely to declare early.

In my current game, France has taken over half the world, beating out Rome, the Ottomans, and Russia, meaning he won this round of the regular runaways.

The most common runaway I see has to be Hiawatha by some margin, though Alex, Nappy and Darius get honourable mentions.

On the other end of the scale, Cathy always LOOKS very impressive because her borders expand like nobody's business, but I find she always seems to crumble very quickly once someone DoWs her. However, I would say the least successful AI in my games seems to be Sejong - I think I've only ever had one game against him where he's survived as long as the Renaissance. He always seems to get squashed very quickly in an early war (to be fair, quite often by me;))

The most common runaway I see has to be Hiawatha by some margin, though Alex, Nappy and Darius get honourable mentions.

On the other end of the scale, Cathy always LOOKS very impressive because her borders expand like nobody's business, but I find she always seems to crumble very quickly once someone DoWs her. However, I would say the least successful AI in my games seems to be Sejong - I think I've only ever had one game against him where he's survived as long as the Renaissance. He always seems to get squashed very quickly in an early war (to be fair, quite often by me;))

This is what I tend to experience with Russia as well. She seems to take Tradition early on which allows her 3-4 early cities to grow rather well, but it usually takes her until the Renaissance or even Industrial Eras to begin her expansion spree.

Most will try to do it if they can. They'll focus on building up armies to take away other peoples' cities first, and failing that they expand in the hopes that will increase their conquest capability. Believe me, if we had such a generous happiness cap, then many of us would do it to.

But there are some exceptions. Last night, I found that the peninsula I started on fed into a big stretch of jungle. And whose captial did I find sitting right in my way? Exactly the last guy you want to find there: Hiawatha. I naturally assumed that he'd rapidly fill out that expanse. Thought he was going to be a big nightmare.

However, turns out he picked up secret path and was making oodles of culture. So, guess what? He stayed small and settled a few cities. His borders ballooned across the area. His natural yen to ICS was curbed by all that culture was making. He adapted his strategy.

Then Napoleon showed up at his capital with his musketeers. And that was where the sad tale of Hiawatha ends.

Usually Siam and The Iroquois. Whenever I see them I know I have to eliminate them early, otherwise it'll be a massive war in the late game against a larger military

Same in my games. Those two have some very powerful runaway tools, and the attitude to make the most of them. Bastidges.

One civ I'm always happy to eliminate early if I can is that annoying Alex.... in my current game, he planted his second city right next to my capital.

So the die was cast....it would be war.... the question would be when and who would start it. I cranked out a couple more archers,...saw one of his settlers coming my way and so I attacked...I couldn't stop the third city being planted, but I had enough fire power around to capture it in two or three turns....

Over the next 15 or so turns, despite repeated peace overtures from him, I was able to totally eliminate him.... Yeah, I took a diplomatic hit for it...which is still going on, but he's gone and won't be a problem and then I attacked Egypt and grabbed an attractive city before taking his peace offering.... I figured if I was going to be damned anyway I may as will "deserve" the condemnation ....;)

Mongolia, France, and Iroquois spring to mind. But especially Mongolia.

Let me think of somebody who bothers me every game I play and somehow is always present.......ALEXANDER LEAVE ME ALONE ALREADY!
Alexander, Pachacuti and Hiawatha always turn out pretty strong and annoying in my games.
Especially Alexander who is insane enough to demand half my empire for a peace treaty when I've killed any unit he send at me and took out five of his cities, yet he still keeps fighting and keeps sending endless hordes of infantry at me.
Pachacuti usually turns out strong but can be beaten into the ground easily enough.
Hiawatha is a true friend, despite being always strong and advanced he never fights me and is usually my ally.

Hiawatha and to a lesser extent Pachacuti. Luckily Hiawatha is a good ally when getting rid of the other civs, as we both prepare for the inevitable showdown. So far I haven't really started next to him, not sure if he is equally friendly then.

Another oddity, but the Netherlands often becomes a runaway on my Tiny and Duel games... but only on those. And I know what you're thinking: what does he mean on Duel games. But seriously, they do. On Duel, I can have Fertility Rites, ToA, and Tradition closed and still be behind in population most games to them. Even when I never have unhappiness for a single turn to slow up growth. I blame the polders. That, and those Sea Beggars usually take over 2 of the 4 CSs on Duel, so long as there's any water at all on the board.

However, on Small and up, they usually do okay or get pummelled. My only guess is that if they end up fighting a defensive war, then there's a good chance the marsh terrain disadvantage in combat is hurting them, as well as the possibility that on land-based maps they fail to have an army to match their navy.

Always Hiawatha. I don't know what he's running from, but he's extremely skilled at running away.

Catherine and Augustus are pretty good too in my experience.

Hiawatha and to a lesser extent Pachacuti. Luckily Hiawatha is a good ally when getting rid of the other civs, as we both prepare for the inevitable showdown. So far I haven't really started next to him, not sure if he is equally friendly then.

My recent experience of that situation has demonstrated that he is most friendly except for those periods when he is actually at war with you, which is often enough.

Hiawatha is quite annoying when you are at war with him. He is like Alexander, demanding all of your gold, GPT, all of your lux and a city to make peace after he never crossed your borders and you killed any of his units that got too close. I went through this for a good 100 turn period. He finally gave me an offering I would accept, since he wanted to go to war with Carthage.

My recent experience of that situation has demonstrated that he is most friendly except for those periods when he is actually at war with you, which is often enough.

Yes, Hiawatha is a really nice, friendly guy- except when he's being an ahole and kicking your arse. Which is frequently. I think we have that pretty well nailed down.

Top Bottom