Camikaze
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings Resources About

• I created a Reference Guilde that took many hours, and post it at this link ....

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=466015

I thought it was a nice piece of work, but it's dropping fast on the forum.

If you have a chance, wondering if you could take a look at it and respond about 1) whether you think it's worthwhile for getting more exposure, and if so, 2) how I should go about that.

CharlieM
    Even so, you still care about maintaining some quality in Light OT, right? If you don't, then there's no need to create a new forum; just move all the "non-serious" stuff to Forum Games.

The second paragraph very nicely illustrate the mismatch in mentality between the site's Management and the OT/NES/Other Games community. The latter group thinks of "community" as the Civfanatics forums and the collective body of posters, whereas the former group thinks of "community" as "the Civilization brand and gaming community."

(Also, by the way, last I looked the posters with the highest PC tends to be posters from the NES community, where standards for spam and chatter is rather low compared to anywhere in the Colosseum).
    In any case, if encouraging higher quality post is the objective the way you are going about it is strange. Whatever the mods may think of the matter, people like post counts. People like earning post counts. It's not elitism or anything; but it's nice to see something attached to your name that represents your contribution to the community. Post count should be a reward for high quality discussion. Take that away, and you get dissatisfied posters who treat the forum as a rubbish dump and irate moderators fuming at the apparent ungratefulness of the community.

It's strange to see the Management treating a forum like Light OT where they care about a high quality of discussion, the same as Forum Games, where the opposite is true.
    It makes you wonder what proportion of posts has to be chatter/banter for PC to be turned off in a particular forum, or what is considered chatter/banter in the first place.

Over half the threads by my reckoning in Forum Games (excluding Mafia and IOT) is pure spam. The only OT thread that is even comparable to those Forum Games threads is the "What Music Are You Listening To" thread. Even Random Rants and Random Raves are more like "everyday life discussions not worth their own thread" threads. These and most other serial threads, not even considering the more light-hearted topical threads, are clearly discussion threads.

Which brings us to the Management's definition of chatter. Is chatter considered to be the type of spam typically found on Forum Games. If so, then Light OT in general should not be considered as such. Is chatter anything that's unrelated to Civ? If so, then all the other forums outside of the Civ forums should be post count less.
    Even "Light" OT discussions still have actual discussions in them.

The same can't be said for, for instance, the upvote-downvote threads or "do x to the person above you" threads in Forum Games.
    The vanilla's nto very good and modding it is a pain in the arse because Firaxis first decided to make CivIII be a beta, Play the World be a patch instead of an expansion and Conquests the working version, they took the scripting from Civ II away and hardcoded a lot of limits which we are at pains to go around (and usually do to to great success) but they moved o to Civ IV because it was easier to make money off of.

The mods themselves are rather good, some are better than Civ IV. Definitely a great bargain bin buy.
    WHHAAAATTT??? No, we're ALL ripping off from Rome: Total War where everyone has their faction icons displayed as similar symbols. Why don't you download Hegemon and start playing? It's quite fun actually.
    No it's not, Mr. Camikaze. It's an icon from a CivIII scenario, more specifically, the Athenian faction.
    In the "Gods and Kings - Overview" thread you didn't include these faiths from the "Found a Religion" screenshot.
    Ceremonial Burial +1 Happiness for each city following religion
    Church Property +2 gold for each city following religion
    Defender of the faith +20% Combat near friendly cities that follow this religion
    Flourishing of the Arts +10% culture if not at war
    Initiation rites +100 gold when each city first converts to this religion
    Just War +20% Combat near enemy cities that follow this religion
    "Moderator Action: You are allowed to use one of the Civ-related avatars that we provide until you accumulate 30 posts and have been here for 30 days. If every new user were to upload a custom avatar, it would take up quite a lot of space!"

Is that actually the reason?
    If you haven't bought Civ V for the War Academy Prize, this weekend might be a good weekend to buy it.
    Just letting you know how much I appreciate all the prompt assistance helping me overcome my computer illiteracy . Your patience has been fantastic
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Top Bottom