Squonk
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• part 2

They failed to reach an agreement (the US wanted it to go to Ethiopia, Britain wanted it to be partitioned to Sudan and Ethiopia, France wanted it to be a Trust Territory with Italian administration and the USSR wanted it to be a Trust Territory with international administration) so the matter was taken to the UN. The UN itself set up a new commission with Burma, Guatemala, Norway, Pakistan, and South Africa in it. They too fought with each other.

However, the US pressed for Eritrea to become an federation with Ethiopia:

"On 2 December 1950, the General Assembly adopted Resolution 390A(V), which recommended that 'Eritrea shall constitute an autonomous unit federated with Ethiopia under the sovereignty of
    the Ethiopian Crown.' The Federation of Eritrea with Ethiopia was accordingly
    established on 11 September 1952." - UN website
    part 1

Both of my grandmothers are alive and blissfully unaware :)

Yeah, Aweferki is (AFAIK) Christian. Well, the relations aren't tense I guess. Eritrea is about 50-50 Christian and Muslim, though that percentage varies throughout the 9 ethnic groups.

As you might have known, Eritrea used to be an Italian colony. During Italian rule, Eritrea got industrialised I guess. Meanwhile, Ethiopia was still a feudal state (iirc). Also, a resistance to Italian rule made Eritrea more unified.

After the British had come and expelled the Italians from East Africa, and due to being a loser in WW2, Italy couldn't be given Eritrea back (it was some deal made in 1947, I think, about Italy relinquishing its legal rights to its colonies). A commission including France, USSR, the US and, Eritrea's hitherto administrator, Britain, tried come to a decision regarding Eritrea.
    part 3

There used to be different liberation groups in the Tigray region, but the "Tigrayan People's Liberation Front" was the one that came out at the top. Though nowadays, it's a political party in the Ethiopian government :lol:

I don't know about Ogaden, I'm afraid. Considering that it's mostly populated by Somalis, I'm sure some would prefer being stuck to Somalia (a functioning Somalia) than being a part of Ethiopia.

Tourism? I don't know, actually. I wouldn't recommend going there for tourism right now.

I'm happy that your cousin got a job here :)
    part 2

Well, it shouldn't really be a secret to my family in Sweden (2 other aunts, plenty of cousins :D) considering I never go to church and such. Out of my family in Eritrea, only 2-3 of my cousins now. The other ones I haven't cared to tell. I have family in other places to, and the ones that are close (the ones in Germany) know it, while others don't.

The last time I visited Eritrea was... the summer of 2008? Yeah, think so.

Yeah, I guess it is lucky. At the end of the 80s, after Soviet explained that it wasn't going to renew its defense and cooperation deal, the Ethiopian army's morale went down.
    part 1

The attitude towards Ethiopia is still hostile. Even though the Derg (who committed a lot of war crimes) are no longer in power (heck they've been prosecuted by Ethiopia's Special Prosecutor) there is still a lot of mistrust towards Ethiopia. Maybe if they had been able to resolve the border dispute (1998-2000) without going to war, there'd be less negative feelings. It's also made worse that Ethiopia has yet to implement the UN decision. So it's tense there.

Also, there are "a lot" (can't really say how much but they exist) Eritrean War Movies.

All in all, the relationship with Ethiopia is a little complicated. Maybe if my name was Winner, I'd even dare to say that the Eritrean government keeps the distrust alive because it "justifies" their continued dictatorship and Isaias Afewerki's cult of personality? :mischief: Eritrea has often used explanations as "he's a spy for Ethiopia" to imprison people. I asked one of my relatives who lives there and that's what he said.
    The amount of Eritreans in Sweden is hard to measure because prior to the liberation of Eritrea, any refugee from the Eritrea-region was considered Ethiopian. I think my dad told me there are about 40 000 "Ethiopians" living in Sweden.
    My family are Christian and I'm an Atheist. The only one in my family, in fact. I can trace my family to Yohannes IV who is remembered by some Muslims as being intolerant of their faith :lol: So my family's Christianity goes back.

I guess I am very odd in many different ways.
    part 2

I myself enjoy visiting Eritrea. I have some family there I like and I really enjoy spending time with. They show me around and take really good care of me :) Granted, my parents are lower-upperclass in Sweden and even more so in Eritrea :lol:

*I've never met an Eritrean in Sweden that is not of the Tigrinya people. I'm sure there are but I have yet to meet any, most likely because all the Eritreans I know are through my parents and not through my own social "exploration".
    part 1

Haha I'm glad that you liked it :)

Well, most of Eritrean* heritage that live in Sweden have parents that came (found refuge) to Sweden in the 70s-80s, meaning that they (2nd generation immigrants like me, my age) grew up in Sweden.

You can compare it to other teenagers who didn't grow up in Sweden, like some Afghan teenagers I read about. You will have trouble finding a 2nd generation immigrant who can't speak proper Swedish. And reversely, 2nd generation immigrants aren't as good at Tigrinya as many Polish 2nd immigrants might be at speaking Polish.

Still, many 2nd generation Eritreans have some form of patriotic ties. During the liberation war, people died and most families lost someone in it. My mother lost two brothers in it. My father's family though wasn't involved in the war in the same way as my mother's. Parents teach their children to be "proud" of their people for fighting valiantly against the US, and later, USSR supported Ethiopia.
    I'm born and raised in Stockholm, Sweden. I've visited the home of my maternal granparents in Asmara about 3 times.

Though, I consider myself more Swedish than Eritrean as my Tigrinya is bad. I get A's in Swedish and the Social Sciences and know more about Sweden than most Swedes my age.
    My mother and all of her family is from Eritrea. My paternal grandparents are Eritrean too, although my father grew up in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Abeba.
    I meant that you might've thought something about me that, after having written what I wrote, turned out to be false. But we're still friends, right? :(
    I'm sorry if you were lead to believe anything that I just disproved by writing what I just wrote :sad:

I'll keep in mind what you've imparted on me :eek2:

And thanks for acknowledging my wise-beyond-years maturity :D
    :p I don't know, actually. I'm still very confused at my sexuality :lol: I'm still just a little boy, you know :p I think, though, that I'm going to end up living a life with lots of gay friends, and having the ability to compliment guys and giving them tips without feeling like I'm "compromising my manliness [sic]" :lol::lol::lol::lol:

So I can't really comment on that, I'm afraid. Maybe when I have developed more as a human being :dunno:
    I'll keep that one for later avatar use ;)

Yupp, that pretty much sums it up.
    part 2

I guess it really depend on what you would consider "dominant". In some parts of the world, it means a female that has the male wrapped around her finger. That's not the kind I like.

Sorry if what I wrote is too much of a clutter, but that's what I want (among other things). Interpret it as you wish :p

Though the thought of being dominated by my gf is a very nice thought. :groucho:
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Top Bottom