Omega124
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings Media Albums About

• I'm holding off choices of great/medium powers until I see more small powers. But I'm kind've hesitant to give you anything too important, considering your track record on IOT...
    I... am lost. We are in a chaotic situration.

Well... I will stick to my current plan to spread Plato to the CSA. I hope to see Iberia in peace.
    Against the CSA?

I am waring against the CSA. The Cape Republic were not pleased they blocked our ships on some false claiment. Hence we will invade and annex them in the name of Plato's vision.
    On the flip side, his geographical determinism is, to put it simply, jaundiced and wrong. His conclusions that might theoretically apply to the interactions between Europeans and indigenous Americans, even if they were based on correct facts (and frequently they were not) do not apply when juxtaposing Europeans and the inhabitants of Africa, or the Middle East, or East and South Asia. On the whole, Diamond, as most anthropologists and macrohistorians are by the very nature of their fields, is guilty of gross overgeneralization, inventing a forest regardless of whether there are actually any trees around. There are also the philosophical objections to an argument based so strongly on "inevitable" longue durée factors as opposed to contingent ones that can be physically linked via minor things like causation.

These are the very broad strokes, of course, but that's the general thrust of why GGS and Collapse suck.
    On the issues about which Diamond was correct - e.g. that genetics had nothing to do with the reasons behind European military victory over the indigenous Americans - he is trivially correct. You'd have to practically be a Nazi to disagree. Many of his other anthropological arguments about the development of agriculture and technology are similarly uninteresting and vanilla, and not nearly the earth-shattering breakthroughs that his Internet fangirls like to trumpet.
    Just an outsider's observation, but perhaps the people of the lightish red and the ene could be negotiated with. Would certainly throw the sheep lovers off. BTW: Alt-US may be shearing the sheep. Maybe. Pass the tequila, will you?
    IOT: Chiron is starting! It can be found here. We'd all love to see as many people back as possible.
    It'll probably last a day or two, don't worry too much about continuity as long as nobody tries interacting with you.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Top Bottom