Cheezy the Wiz
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings Resources About

• Oy! Sometimes we are weird, but we don't lack a sense of humor, either. However, I have started a GAR list ("Gulag after the Revolution" List) in jest...
    Man, let's say that - even though everyone knows you are a Commie - you appear like someone who could voice any opinion! :lol:
    I don't have 3 anymore, I only have IV and V. If you ever get your hands on one of those please do tell if you'd like to play with me.
    I'm in Pensacola right now and don't totally have access to stuff. But I do remember that I got a lot of sources from an article published in one of the Leavenworth Papers. If you can get access to those somehow that'd be a good starting point.
    If you mean more for private use then sure, I think they're viable. A little time intensive though, just as a warning. You have to be pretty up and up with the maintenance as it isn't going to be hard for a pump to break down, or get your PH levels off, or an uncontrolled bacteria or something that has the possibility of either causing complete loss or taint of either the animal or plant life. The fish are probably twitchier than the plants, but you still have to be careful with what's on the plants if you want to wind up eating them. If the project is big enough that a community group is participating then capital investments and division of labor for the constant maintenance will need to be sorted out. Community gardens have a rough enough time with plant blights and soil fertility that I don't think I would really be inclined to trust foodstuffs in an aquaponics environment to shared labor. I'd want somebody in charge, and it's enough work you're probably going to need to pay them.
    I've toured commercial hydroponic vegetable operations. They're actually normal for some other stuff, like you know flowers. I've toured fish operations too. They work. They're just hard to really justify unless what you are growing is as value-dense as the facilities you are putting in. I could see this working pretty good for say, weed in states where that's now legal, and you could see the fish(or whatever else, doesn't really have to be fish) aspect as natural or with an enviro-spin possibly. So yar, it can and does work, but it kinda takes a specific sort of thing going on with it that isn't necessarily conducive to mass-scale.
    Well, it's a terrific idea. They can "farm" some oceanic stuff that can be destructive to catch naturally(blue crabs, yadda yadda). It's amazingly productive per square foot. It's reliable and consistent. All good stuff. It struggles commercially where most things like that struggle though - the capital investments are huge to get it off the ground, those buildings and the equipment is expensive considering the expected rates of return. The bigger issue though is you wind up having to do a lot of the work that nature would do for you in open-sky agriculture or fishing(related industries) yourself, so the energy and manpower costs stay high. Feasible and neat, but for the most part on staple goods instead of niches, not really competitive at this time. If this makes sense. Same sort of problem that getting biofuels from pond-scum runs into. Absolutely awesome in theory, not practical in large scale in practice with presently known technology and techniques.
    Since now I know the story behind your username, I'm going to pronounce it as Cheesy the WHiz (emphasizing the 'h' like Stewie does on Family Guy).
    Nah, afraid not. Between work, uni and the journey, I couldn't get it to work. Pity- it sounds like it'll be a lot of fun!
    That is true.

I do sort of wonder if entertainers are at best a fairly marginal sort of bourgeoisie. They certainly receive outsized rewards but their ongoing position is uncertain at best and subject to a lot of uncertainties - changes in tastes etc. I tend to get the impression that they rise just as quickly as they are apt to fall. And they tend to fall hard because there isn't much for them to fall back on.

You might also like this.
    He's rich now, certainly; but he comes from a fairly indifferent sort of background - single mother, absent father, drug addiction.
    I am making a note of these, adding them to my wish list. Thanks a million. Sorry for the late reply. I am on Tapatalk most of the time and they don't do VMs.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Top Bottom