Resource icon

24 Bronze Age Axemen 2016-10-05

This package contains 24 Bronze Age Axemen for civilizations in the ancient Mediterranean zone that I've made, collected or assembled using models and textures released by firaxis or other forum modders. By reading this THREAD you'll understand the purpose of this collection, and you'll find additional in-game screenshots also.

Historically, the Battle Axe was introduced in the late Neolithic (Stone Age), flourishes through the Copper Age and finally culminates in the early Bronze Age, developing in various areas of North Europe from ca. 3200 BC/2900 BC to ca. 2300 BC/1800 BC. In the Mediterranean area the double-bladed labrys axe was prevalent. Compared to a sword swing, the axe delivers more cleaving power against a smaller target area, making it more effective against armor, due to concentrating more of its weight in the axehead. However, it allows much less precision than a sword does.

I used a mix of meshes, shields, axes and anims in order to varying the units. Looking at the pictures below, the first unit group uses the wild quechua anims, the middle group uses vanilla and egyptian axeman anims, while the bottom group uses berserker anims. Generally I reused textures from my previous units because of lack of time, but I did a huge work to fix anim glitches and to redraw UV map to simplify future reskins (look at german dds, for example - now it is a vanilla axeman mesh with a warrior-like UV map, with no more axe anim glitch on left hand).

These units are 100% playable with nifscope, have both shader and no-shader nif and the lesser number as possible of art files, in order to reduce memory usage. The package contains all the needed animation folders for convenience, but you may use the respective Civ4 animations for each model.
If you wish to use these units into your own mod, you must follow the animation guideline included in the package in order to assign the right animation to each unit. Also you must refer to the corresponding Civ4 axeman type artdefines for XML purpose.

Credits go to EVERYONE who made ancient units before me.

Check this THREAD to visit my BRONZE AGE units collection ;)

September 21, 2010 UPDATE
---------------------------

Assyrian and Babylonian axemen have a bug in their nifs.
Download HERE the fix :)
  • max_shot_rDV.jpg
    max_shot_rDV.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 378
  • max_view_R7y.jpg
    max_view_R7y.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 379
Author
ambrox62
Downloads
Views
First release