Amenities is the new happiness factor in Civilization VI.

Use the quick-links in the contents table below to jump to the topic that interests you.
This guide will be continuously updated whenever needed.

Contents:

What does 'Amenity' mean?

Taken from Wikipedia, you get the following explanation:

"In real estate and lodging, an amenity is something considered to benefit a property and thereby increase its value. Tangible amenities can include the number and nature of guest rooms and the provision of facilities such as elevators (lifts), wi-fi, restaurants, parks, communal areas, swimming pools, golf courses, health club facilities, party rooms, theater or media rooms, bike paths or garages, while intangible amenities can include aspects such as well-integrated public transport, pleasant views, nearby activities and a low crime rate."

Got it. But how do I get amenities in Civilization VI then?

In the early game, the different luxury resources scattered around the map are the only sources of amenities (besides the +1 amenity from your palace). Later on you will unlock buildings and such which will give your cities further amenities.

Here is a list of the different sources from which you can get amenities:

Special notes:

Palace: Your palace (in your capital) provides +1 Amenity from entertainment. This is in effect from the start. So you will see that your capital has +1 Amenity from Entertainment even before you start harvesting any luxuries.

Civilization Bonuses
  • Aztecs: Ordinarily each luxury resource grants you +1 Amenity to 4 cities. However, the Aztecs gets +1 Amenity to 6 cities instead. Always keep this boost in mind when you play as the Aztecs.

• Brazil: In place of the 'Entertainment Complex', Brazil has the 'Street Carnival'. This gives you +2 Amenities (instead of +1). It also unlocks the 'Carnival Project' which further gives you +1 Amenity while underway.

• Rome: Instead of the 'Aqueduct District', Rome gets the 'Bath'. It has the same benefits as the 'Aqueduct' but in addition it will also provide additional +2 Housing and +1 Amenity.
Basic luxuries, and their required improvements
  • Plantations (+4 Amenities): Citrus, Cocoa, Coffee, Cotton, Dyes, Incense, Silk, Spices, Sugar, Tea, Tobacco, Wine.

• Mines (+4 Amenities): Diamonds, Jade, Mercury, Salt, Silver.

• Quarries (+4 Amenities): Gypsum, Marble.

• Camps (+4 Amenities): Furs, Ivory, Truffles.

• Fishing Boats (+4 Amenities): Pearls, Whales.

Special luxuries, and their sources

City-States Note: If you are the Suzerain of a City-State, you will gain access to it's luxury resources.
  • Zanzibar (+6 Amenities): Cinnamon, Cloves. These luxuries are provided only to Zanzibar's Suzerain, cannot be earned any other way in the game (other than by trading for a copy from Zanzibar's Suzerain), and they provide +6 Amenities each.

• Buenos Aires: The Suzerain Bonus does so that each of your Bonus resources (Wheat, Sheep, Bananas etc. etc.) behave like Luxury resources, providing +1 Amenity per type. Note that only the first (unique) copy of a bonus resource provides an Amenity; multiple copies of a bonus resource will not provide multiple amenities to the Suzerain of Buenos Aires.

Luxuries from Great People
  • Colaeus (Great Merchant, Classical Era): Grants 1 free copy of the Luxury on this tile to your capital (use for unique Luxuries outside your borders). The unique luxury obtained grants the standard +4 Amenities. He also grants +100 Faith.

• Estée Lauder (Great Merchant, Information Era): Grants x2 Perfume which gives +1 Amenity to 6 cities.

• Helena Rubinstein (Great Merchant, Atomic Era): Grants x2 Cosmetics which provides +4 Amenities.

• Irene of Athens (Great Merchant, Classical Era): Grants 1 free copy of the Luxury on this tile to your capital (use for unique Luxuries located outside your borders). The luxury obtained grants the standard +4 Amenities. She also increases your Trade Route capacity by 1.

• John Spilsbury (Great Merchant, Industrial Era): Grant x1 Toys which provides +4 Amenities.

• Levi Strauss (Great Merchant, Atomic Era): Grants x2 Jeans which provides +4 Amenities.

Amenities from Great People: In addition to providing unique luxuries, some Great People provide Amenities directly or boost the Amenity impact of your cities.
  • Jane Drew (Great Engineer, Atomic Era): +3 Amenities (and +4 Housing) for the city which she is activated in.

• Joseph Paxton (Great Engineer, Information Era): +1 Amenity for the district's regional buildings of which he is activated in, these buildings also reach +3 tiles.

• John Roebling (Great Engineer, Atomic Era): +1 Amenity (and +2 Housing) for the city which he is activated in. (2 charges).

• Mimar Sinan (Great Engineer, Renaissance Era): +1 Amenity (and +1 Housing) for the city which he is activated in. (2 charges).

Amenities from Districts and District Projects
  • Entertainment Complex: A district that is dedicated to keeping your people happy. Provides +1 Amenity from entertainment.

• Street Carnival (Unique to Brazil): This district replaces the Entertainment Complex. Provides +2 Amenities. It also unlocks a Carnival Project which provides an additional +1 Amenity while it is underway.

• Bath (Unique to Rome): This district replaces the Aqueduct district. In addition to the standard fresh water and housing boost of a regular aqueduct, the Bath provides an additional bonus of +2 Housing and +1 Amenity.

Amenities from District Buildings
  • Arena (Entertainment Complex): +1 Amenity to the city it is built in.

• Zoo (Entertainment Complex): +1 Amenity to each city center within 6 tiles (9 if you are the Suzerain of Toronto).

• Stadium (Entertainment Complex): +2 Amenities to each city center within 6 tiles (9 if you are the Suzerain of Toronto).

Amenities from Wonders
  • Alhambra (Medieval Era): +2 Amenities from entertainment.

• Colosseum (Classical Era): +3 Amenities from entertainment which are extended to each city center within 6 tiles.

• Estádio do Maracanã (Atomic Era): +2 Amenities from entertainment to each city in your civilization.

• Huey Teocalli (Medieval Era): +1 Amenity from entertainment for each Lake tile within one tile of this wonder. Note that this Wonder is only available with the Aztec DLC.

Amenities from Religious Beliefs
  • River Goddess (Pantheon): +1 Amenity to cities if they have a Holy Site adjacent to a River.

• Zen Meditation (Follower Belief): +1 Amenity in cities with 2 specialty districts.

Amenities from Governments & Policies
  • Classical Republic (Government): All cities with a district receive +1 Amenity (city center does not count).

• Retainers (Military Policy): +1 Amenity for cities with a garrisoned unit (recon units do not count). This policy is obsoleted when you unlock the Propaganda policy (Modern Era).

• Liberalism (Economic Policy): +1 Amenity to all cities with at least 2 specialty districts (city center does not count). This policy is obsoleted by the New Deal policy.

• New Deal (Economic Policy): +2 Amenities to all cities with at least 3 specialty districts (city center does not count).

• Sports Media (Economic Policy): Stadiums generate +1 Amenity.

Other Sources
  • National Parks: A park is created by using a 'Naturalist'. Provides +2 Amenities in the city that owns the park. It also gives +1 Amenity to the 4 closest cities.

I now know which sources gives me Amenities, but how does it function?

The first copy of any luxury resource will give +1 Amenity for up to 4 different cities. You can't choose which cities that will get the Amenity, the game chooses the cities that need it the most. In other words, the least happy cities will receive the Amenities until it is balanced out among all of your cities.

Any extra copy of a luxury resource you already have will not give any further Amenities. You can however trade away the extra copy for a different luxury resource which you currently do not have access to. For example, say you have two Citrus plantations in your cities. Only one of the citruses will give you the +4 Amenities (+1 per city for up to 4 cities) benefit; the second copy of Citrus does nothing to raise your Amenities in your cities. But if you trade that extra Citrus for 1 Marble (assuming you do not already have access to Marble), that Marble will give you +1 Amenity to 4 cities that need it.

So you are saying that any extra copies of any given luxury are doing nothing to help my citizens?

Yes. Pretty much. Here is another way of explaining it:

1 copy of a Luxury only extends to 4 different cities. If you acquire a second copy of the same Luxury, it will not affect the number of Amenities in your 4 cities, nor will it extend to the 5th city you found. The second copy does however trigger trade requests from the AI, wanting to buy your extra copy, for which you might get a luxury you need, or some strategic resources, or gold or other things of value.

Extra resource trade.png

Population & Amenity connection:

The number of Amenities required is tied in with your population size. One Amenity is required for each 2 population. This starts counting from 3 population. This means that for 3 population you need 1 Amenities, 5 population needs 2 Amenities, 7 population requires 3 Amenities and so on and so forth.

Your city does not need any Amenities to stay Content, until it reaches 3 Population (see the image below). In addition, your capital starts with +1 Amenity from Entertainment. This is not the case for any other cities you found after that.

3pop amenity demand.png

Remember that this is what is needed to keep the city Content. Any extra amenities above this will raise the happiness of the city, and this is where you start to get those benefits to growth and yield.

I have included a screenshot from one of my saves.

The green box is my population in the different cities. The red box is showing you how many Amenities I need to keep that particular city Content. 1 Amenity for each 2 population, remember?

City status.png

You can check this by clicking on 'View Reports' at the top of the screen. Then click on 'City Status'.

Do I get anything out of raising the Amenities in my cities?

Indeed you do. A content city will not do anything special, but a happy city will give you a 10% growth increase and a +5% increase to non-food yields. An Ecstatic city on the other hand will have a +20% growth increase and a +10% increase to non-food yields.

What happens if my Amenities go into the negative?

If you have too few Amenities, it will create displeasure among your citizens and the growth and non-food yields will receive negative modifiers. If you reach the level Unrest, your growth will stop and rebel partisans will start spawning in your city.

Two factors that can lower your Amenities in a city are War weariness and bankruptcy. So be careful with being in constant-war mode and keep an eye on your economy.

Thank you for taking your time to read this and if you see anything that needs to be changed, please let me know in the comments below.

I hope this has helped clearing up some questions you had regarding the Amenities system.

FAQ

Question: Is there any overview of the ongoing trade deals?
Answer: No, there is currently no way to see which resources you are trading for.

Special Thanks

KrikkitTwo
Lord Yanaek
Playshogi
The invention of coffee

CONFIRMATION FROM THE DEVELOPER:
Dev confirm1.png
Dev confirm2.png

[/LIST]

Author
Iron Angel
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
4.94 star(s) 18 ratings

Latest reviews

Excellent guide!
Full, clear, and concise.
clear and concise
Great stuff, clears up some confusion and
Clear and full
An easy to read and detailed article. Thanks for your efforts.
As someone new to Civ - just finished my 2nd single player game - and someone that just had my head handed to me by barbarians because I ran out of amenities this is an excellent guide. Would be nice if we had something like this for other aspects of the game.
Спасибо.
Well done
A very well done resource on Amenities.
Top Bottom