Asia: 1948

Bengal Tiger

Emperor
The aftermath of WWII has not yet passed, yet already the Far East is in turmoil. The
Communist movement is sweeping through war-ravaged China, and how long will the Nationalists hold out? French Indochina is fighting for its very survival against the Vietminh guerilla movement. Meanwhile, the proxy government set up by the Soviet Union in North Korea has declared war on the south. NATO troops have been sent in to aid South Korea, while the Soviet Union watches the unfolding events closely. To the east lies Japan, war-torn and unarmed, but there
is no doubt it can be an influential factor in the coming wars.

After a disastrous start, I have finally managed to properly set up this scenario. The main files are unchanged, but an updated Biq is attached at the bottom of this post. Many thanks to General 666 for his help on working this out

This scenario was completely put together by myself, using only the units from the original conquests game, except for the attack chopper from Vuldacon's EFZI2 scenario. I have tried to make accurate civilopedia entries for all the things I have changed. All units have a population cost of 1. There are four superpowers that have access to nuclear weapons: U.S., Britain, Soviet Union, and French Indochina. The game ends after 300 turns, 200,000 VP limit, or 66% of land area and 44% of population. I know the Phillipine islands should all be in the map, but I wasn't interested in making a whole new civ, so only the top part is visible.

Alliances are as follows:

Nationalist China vs. Communist China

North Korea & Vietnam vs. South Korea, America, Britain, & French Indochina

The playable nations are as follows:

United States- Has one of the largest starting armies,and has control of the Phillipines, just to help it keep up in science. They have a large force stationed in Japan for the time being, but it is usually kicked out once Japan gets its army rebuilt.

Britain- Similar to the U.S., but have fewer starting units. Nevertheless, they pack quite a punch, and they have one city, Hong Kong, on the mainland, so has two methods
to deploy troops to Vietnam. They also have control of Malaysia Borneo, again, to help it keep up.

Soviet Union- Another superpower, controls several cities on the mainland, as well as Korsakov, north of Japan. They have no units overseas(unlike Britain and U.S) However, they do get to build T-34s, which have an advantage over regular tanks.

Nationalist China- Has a lot of area to start, but most of its troops are on the borders
with the Communists. Beijing, Tsientin, and Mukden are all separated from the rest of China by Communist cities, and it is hard to keep up in unit production with the enemy.
Expect a long, hard fight if you choose this civ.

Communist China- Their guerilla units are cheap and are comparable to their Nationalist
counterparts. Although it's probably the easiest nation to play as, on higher difficulties
it can get quite hard(somewhat redundant, I know).

Vietminh- The revolutionary movement against France. Their ability to produce fast, cheap units give them a major advantage against French Indochina. Be careful though, as America and Britain will wage a very fierce amphibious war with you(as per in-game testing).

French Indochina- Has to fight a war for their very survival. It will be a long time before you can send troops overseas, as the Vietminh can produce units much faster than them. They do have the advantage of being the only superpower that starts with more than one city. You will be heavily relying on foreign aid to help survive.

North Korea- Can be a very entertaining nation to play as, they have several preplaced T-34s(some are in Soviet territoty to stop the AI from killing them all on the first turn), but are only able to build regular tanks.

South Korea- Probably one of the hardest nations to play, as your superpower allies seem to concentrate on Vietnam as opposed to the peninsula. Your army starts off in rough shape, but is backed up by some British and American troops preplaced in your territories.

Japan- A wild card nation, it starts off with no army and American troops occupying its territory. There is still nuclear waste from the atomic bombs, as well as damage from conventional allied bombing. However, once your infrastructure is repaired, Japan can be a force to be reckoned with. The only downside is that you will be behind in VPs.

Non-Playable
Siam- Put in the scenario simply because it's there. I'm not sure how active it was in the Cold War in real life, but in this scenario, it barely affects the course of events.

Known bug: The glitch where all leaders have the same name. I know there is a way to remedy this, but I can't remember what it is.
Also, some people may have minor bugs in the text of the victory status screen or the unit interface box. The game is still perfectly playable, but I am not sure how to remedy this.

Here is the main file:
http://www.atomicgamer.com/files/88790/asia-1948-main-files

Screenshots and Biq:

Attachments

• Asia 1948.rar
    31.1 KB · Views: 581
  • SDC15211.jpg
    SDC15211.jpg
    566.3 KB · Views: 774
  • SDC15208.jpg
    SDC15208.jpg
    553.9 KB · Views: 791
  • SDC15210.jpg
    SDC15210.jpg
    539 KB · Views: 774
Hmm.. Sorry it took so long to check up on this. Did I do something wrong when I posted the main files? I used the same address it said on atomic gamer. I apologize for the inconvenience, and thank you General 666 for the link. I hope you enjoy the scenario, and feel free to comment, both praise or criticism.

I tried uploading to civfanatics, but it said error loading the Biq.

Hmm.. Sorry it took so long to check up on this. Did I do something wrong when I posted the main files? I used the same address it said on atomic gamer.

The problem was that you have been loged-in at AtomicGamer ,as you linked the site. So the links became personal through using your userID. Next time log-off. Then link. ;)
I tried uploading to civfanatics, but it said error loading the Biq.

You must put the biq in a RAR or ZIP archive to upload it here.

btw ,I`ve added the biq link to my above post as well.

Alright, I intend on making this right. I will post an updated Biq, as well as the original main files later tonight. I am really sorry for having not gone through this properly, but improvement is on the way.

And again, thank you General 666 for pointing out my error in uploading on this website. I compressed the main files, but hadn't realized the Biq. also needed to be.

Don`t worry about the main files. Rightclick on my link in post #4 ;choose copy address ;edit your first post and replace your link with mine. (you can`t upload a 163MB file to here anyway)

Alright I think everything should be working now. If you've already got the main files, all you need
is the improved Biq. I have made several improvements, such as superpowers getting more than one city to help them keep up with techs. I hope you enjoy. All the files can be found in the first post.

I played the original version several times as South Korea and Vietnam - very interesting and challenging (lost on Deity and won on Demigod)

As for the bugs, the main problem for me is that labels are totally messed up in different menus (properties window, victory screen, etc.), they show incorrect text. Everything else is fine.

I would also suggest several balance changes:
- allow allied victory
- allow ordinary tanks for Vietnam and Siam, otherwise they lack serious attack units in late game
- remove mech infantry from all nations except maybe US, Britain and Soviets – the reason is that mech infantry is researched too early, and at that point everyone’s defense is a lot stronger than attack
- remove stealth units and modern tank from all except superpowers – would be historically accurate and a bit more balanced IMHO
- make tow infantry more expensive and mg infantry less expensive, tanks and especially bombers could be more expensive as well.
- modern infantry with its current stats does not really fit anywhere – tow infantry is better in every way, maybe consider changing stats for both

In any case great scenario, good job :)

Thank you, I definitely will make some of the changes you mentioned. I am not sure what changed the labels in the victory screen, but I have noticed that it has happened in other scenarios too.

Now THAT is something I have never seen before. Probably something went wrong in the download, but I don't really have the knowledge to tell you how to fix this. Sorry about that.

Angelle, what patches do you have for Civ3? That looks like a lables.txt problem caused by your game and the scenario being from different patch versions.

Angelle, what patches do you have for Civ3? That looks like a lables.txt problem caused by your game and the scenario being from different patch versions.

Yea, something went terribly wrong. I have Civ III Complete. Apparently there's the same problem with the War of the Pacific Scenario I'm playing.

EDIT: I replaced the scenario labels.txt file with the one from the Conquests Text folder and everything is alright now.

Played another game as North Korea on deity - defeating South Korea was relatively easy, but then all my efforts to save Vietnam failed miserably - the land distance is too big, and with all the battleships USA and UK have sending troops by see is suicide. Vietnam actually gets overrun by the coalition every time AI plays for it. The only option left for me was the war with Communist China, which was not historically accurate of course :)

I am also wondering if you intentionally placed only two source of iron on the map, both in Indochina. There is no way for me to get Iron as North Korea, and therefore building railroads is impossible. Maybe it is good for balance, hard to say...

Thanks for your post.
For some reason the AI seems to send almost all their troops to Vietnam, making it fairly easy for a human player to conquer South Korea as the North. That your efforts to save Vietnam as North Korea is not surprising, given that in real life, it would be ridiculous if North Korea could have sent troops through the U.S.-U.K. dominated Pacific. I have actually posted an updated Biq. that helps with some of the imbalances, as well as placing some more resources(including iron in both Koreas), so hopefully this will help improve your game. While I have certainly not placed resources in there "accurate" locations, it is more just to give all the civs a way to produce units, railroads, etc.

Also, if someone could tell me how to put up screenshots, I would really appreciate it.

Top Bottom