Steam Workshop Page
Updates I am working on:
- Check if hot seat mode is now properly working. If not, try to add support.
- Add Automated Unit Manager to process most efficient movements.
- Add UI Window to enter Settings more easily and see a list of all automated units. There should be an option to Automate all selected units.
- Implement Automated Builders planting forests.
- Write a custom move to plot function to have control over unit pathing. In addition to uses in other mods, this will allow automated Builders to avoid unwanted areas, such as plots with nuclear contamination.
- Write a custom function to determine turn distance away from a plot. I haven't been able to get the game's default function to work, and it would be nice to take turn distance, not just plot distance, into account for plot scoring.
Tired of wasting time scanning the map for artifacts? Playing a late game and have had your fill of micro-managing your dozen or more Builders? Builders and Archaeologists have a new action button that will turn on/off automation for all of their actions. Can be used with both new games and single player saved games.
Will it work with my other mod?
- It should load all resources from mods like Resourceful and should obey all rules from the database (including from mods). For example, if you have a mod that allows Farms on Tundra Builders should build those.
I can't see the automate button when I select a unit.
- Check out "Troubleshooting" in discussion.
How about having Builders only do repairs?
- You can change the mod settings in game. Check out the discussion for details. Just slide the scores for every action (expect repair) all the way to the left to disable them.
- When automated they will move to and excavate artifacts automatically. If there is nothing to do they will just sleep wherever they are, but will check at the beginning of each turn for something to do.
- They don't care about nearby enemy units, but if they are captured they just spawn back in one of your cities.
- By default, archaeologists know where all the artifacts are on the map, even if you haven't explored it. This can be changed in the mod settings (see discussion) so that they can only see plots you have revealed.
- Archaeologists will go towards the nearest artifact in terms of plot distance away from their location. If they can no longer enter the tile for that artifact (another civilian moves into it) then they will choose somewhere else to go.
- By default, Archaeologists will NOT excavate in other player's territory. See mod settings discussion for how to change. If you switch it to true, they will check for open borders and excavate in other player's territory.
- If excavating in other player's territory is enabled in the settings, building Terracotta Army will let your archaeologists enter foreign lands without open borders. Haven't tested this yet but I've implemented it so that it should work for automated Archaeologists.
- Archaeologists will NOT target any artifact that has an improvement over it. You have to manually remove that improvement with a Builder if you want to excavate there.
- Automated Builders will automatically move around and improve your tiles, obeying all relevant rules defined in the game database (including from any mods). If there is nothing to do, they will sleep and check for stuff to do at the beginning of each turn.
- Automated Builders will improve strategic or luxury resources anywhere, but otherwise will only build improvements within 3 tiles of your cities. If there is nothing to do, Builders will check every plot in your territory to see if any repairs are needed on roads or improvements you have manually built out there.
- Automated Builders will do stuff when your turn activates or when you press the Automate button. Sorry, right now I haven't found a way to make them do stuff right before your turn ends.
- After all strategic/luxury resources are improved and everything else within 3 tiles of cities is improved, you can turn on a setting in the mod settings (see discussion) to enable Builders building farms within 4 tiles of your cities as long as it is adjacent to a farm in the 3 tile range for food adjacency bonus.
- Automated Builders have no care for their own safety. If you are worried, it's best to link them with a military unit and then automate the Builder. Keep in mind, however, that a Builder in formation with a military unit means they cannot move to and improve a plot with another military unit.
- Harvesting resources is disabled by default. Even if it is enabled, Builders will by default try to improve the bonus resource if they can.
- Removing features is disabled by default unless removing a feature to improve a resource. Even if it is enabled, Builders will by default put an improvement over the feature if they can.
- Builders will never replace an improvement, unless they are removing an improvement to replace it with the correct improvement for a newly discovered resource.
- Any improvement that must be built on the frontier, such as China's Great Wall, is not currently implemented. Automated Builders will not build these improvements.
- For now, automated Builders will not perform any actions on districts or wonder tiles, such as Aztec district completion or China's Wonder completion.
How do automated Builders decide what to do?
- Check out the "How to Change the Mod Settings" in discussion for more details on this subject.
Some notes on specific improvements
- To avoid Builders spamming unique improvements, there are hard caps on unique improvements of one type per city and empirewide. There is a global setting in General Options (default max 3 per city) but you can override specific limits for specfic unique improvements.
- Some default overrides include Collossal Head (max 1 per city), Fishery (max 5 per city), and City Park (max 2 per city).
- Mekewap, Kampung: These improvements require an adjacent resource. Builders will actually check for two adjacent resources to maximize bonuses, but if it is the only improvement available on the plot they will build with only one adjacent as required.
- Automated Builders should improve resources added by other mods and build improvements added by other mods.
- Relevant data from other mods is loaded into this mod, so for example if you have a mod that allows farms on tundra then Builders should do that.
- This mod NO LONGER replaces the game's UnitPanel.lua file, so it shouldn't have any compatibility issues with any mod.
- Gedemon for his spreadsheet of Lua objects and methods
- Gedemon for his method for sharing data between UI contexts.
We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.Dismiss Notice
All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.Dismiss Notice
To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.Dismiss Notice
- Dismiss Notice
Attention Modders! Please check out this thread about adding resource and linking discussion thread in our new Resource Manager.Dismiss Notice
Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.Dismiss Notice
Automated Builders + Archaeologists BETA 0.98.2
Rewritten Builder + Archaeologist automation code for human players