Resource icon

Bakuel's India: Indo-Saka units 2016-10-05

Here is a pack for ancient nomads that invaded northern India. Bakuel's own description:
Spoiler :

The late Mauryans and the Sunga Empire had lost control of the western Northern Plains. The Sakas are generally thought of as apart of a large migration of central Asian peoples which were sent into flight by conflict. Their first migration stop was settling in areas east of Iran around modern Afghanistan and Pakistan in 100 BC or so. This country/area is generally called Sakastan. From here, they progressively moved into the North west plains of India and established numerous kingdoms. The kingdoms were not united, and they would in turn conquered by the Kushans around 30 AD, but some of the states survive in the Western Satraps (35 - 405 AD) as on/off/maybe vassals to the Kushans.
Despite seeming to be stereotypical barbarians, much art exists from this period and their coins were of high quality. The Indo-Sakas, and later the Kushans, can also be credited with bringing a great equestrian tradition to the Northern Plains, not that the Macedonians were any slouches in the cavalry department, but Indo-Sakas would *really* introduce large cavalry based armies as well as armored horses and other developments which would influence the later Guptas. Needless to say, at this point the chariot is really going through it's death throes.

This unit set was mainly created to be a ancient age for a Kushan civ, but it may have other uses, elementary and small as it may be. These could represent Indo-Sakas, Sakas from Sakastan or just generic eastern indo-European nomads.

Indo Sakas Pack, (200 BC- 120s AD,) (Western Satraps, 35 - 405 AD).

Spoiler :
Indo-Saka Archer, (Internet Image, Indo-Saka Fresco)
Indo-Saka Spearman, (Indo-Saka Fresco)
Indo-Horsearcher, (Internet Image, Indo-Saka Fresco)

These models were just created from primary sources of art from the Indo-Saka period, there is quite a bit of it. Most of the colors and so on are based on historical images of common Scythian dress,. Just my type of luck, the small pack has some of the most primary sources for it. While looking over the art, I noticed that many of their hats seemed to differ from each other quite allot. Some having "earflaps" and a back like the Persian hat, others being more like hoods, while others being caps with flaps with no back. Thus I tried to vary the caps within all the models.

Indo-Saka Axeman, (Internet Image, Coin, Indo-Saka Fresco)
Indo-Saka Swordsman, (Internet Image, Indo-Saka Fresco)

The armor on these is based partly on Internet images and partly on a primary source which may show scale and partial scale armor. The pick axe is taken from a coin of a king, while the Swordsman's sword is just a quick model from a Scythian blade.

Indo-Saka Heavy Horseman, (Internet Image, Coin)

This horseman was based on a historical image of Saka partial heavy cataphract with armor but only a cap, it's basic design is mirrored by a coin which also shows a ruler in heavy cavalry armor but only a simple cap on. Now the Indo-Saka's had full cataphracts, but as they didn't look too different from the Kushan cataphracts and I had already made three of those, I decided to make a less armored unit. For varieties sake and all.
  • indo_saka_preview_2SB.jpg
    indo_saka_preview_2SB.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 7,453
Author
Walter Hawkwood
Downloads
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

More resources from Walter Hawkwood