Resource icon

Civ IV mod mod Installation Project [for FFH2 ;)] 2016-10-05

This is specially dedicated to MagisterCultuum who has a lot of great ideas [and a ton of bad ones ;)] for enhancing FFH2, the best mod there is.

This is a project of installator for Kaels Fall from Heaven 2.[Mods forum on Civfanaticks]

Err, almost right. This is a modification of the project to make an installation of any mod-mod based on an already installed mod installation.

Idea: The idea behind this project is to give this wonderful mod an installer that will actually make a correct shortcut on the desktop and find a right installation directory for the mod....and to bring mod mods to your computer safe and in a professional fashion :D

The original project can be found on this site under this address: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=9292

The project files are buildable under Installjammer, an free, open source installation builder, an alternative to MSI and NIS installers.

API:
Spoiler :

To build this project Installjammer can be downloaded from this site: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=148203&package_id=169359

The files were made under the 1.2.5 version! There is a newer beta version of the program but it is a beta so I have not tested it with that version.

Unfortunately version 1.2.5 has a bug with the preview like described in this thread of the support forums:
http://www.installjammer.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=139&p=598&hilit=Lwidget#p598

This was some test code that was in a newer version that accidentally slipped into the current version. Look in lib/preview.tcl and change the line:

package require Lwidget

to

package require Itcl

That should fix up the preview.

What needs to be changed before build:
Spoiler :

1. This installation copies the target mod and then aplays the modified files. It has the naming convention of Kaels FFH2 so it will look for <Original_Mod_Name>{space}<mod_version> directory. Those two values [strings] should be changed here:

If it wont find the original mod of the given name it wont copy anything, just extract your moded files to the location <your_BTS_location>/mods/<your_modmod_name>{space}<modmod_version>

[note that the version letter is only for display use as it has no place in the FFH2 directory name]

2. Remember to set up the main project proprieties and link up your files [only those files you have changed, the rest will be taken from the original mod!]

You modmod should contain an ini file with the name <your_modmod_name>{space}<modmod_version>.ini

I also recommend that you see/read the instructions for FFH2 install project.

I have removed the uninstallator mechanism and registration in add/remove menu [disabled it would be more precise]
The advanced setup features access to the destination panel. Normally the panel wont show up and it will install it self in the directory composed from registery BTS location and mod name_mod version. The advanced installation also enables a panel just before the end that changes some flags in the game ini file. For example you can enable python popups or run the game in window mode. I chose only some of the ini flags that were more interesting than others.

Installjammer is writen in Tcl/Tk and can execute any Tcl/Tk scripts. I know, it is not Python but I have not found a python installation kit :p [Tcl/Tk is very simple, IMO it is simpler than python]
This is only a project to build the installation. I did it for fun so no bad feelings if it stays only an 'art for art' project :)

@xienwolf: I just do not have time to follow all the mod mods on the forum so someone has to do it for me. If there are any problems then post in the forum thread I created or PM me.

Maintenance:
I frequently read the FFH2 forum so I will be able to maintenance the project for a while if there is an interest.

Disclaimer:
Spoiler :
I am not related anyway to the IJ author. I build installations for a living, not in IJ, but in a very expensive commercial tool. I recommend IJ cause of its simplicity, intuitive interface and ongoing improvement.

Remember, it is a free software, even for commercial purposes and more and more companies use it in their daily businesses.
Author
[NWO]_Valis
Downloads
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings
Top Bottom