Europe and Eurasia maps

Europe and Eurasia maps 3.3

Comments should be directed here -
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=349279

As of March 2023, I have updated the download file; in it, there is a subfolder "Old Versions" which has everything found in the previous download file. Aside from that, I have endeavored to create the ultimate Europe map for Civ 4 BTS, first by spending a great deal of time improving upon my "Europe - East Expanded" map, and then by creating a new map, cut back in the east to the Aral Sea, called "Europe - Base".

The primary and most heavily play-tested map is NiRv4n4 Europe - Base, for which I cut off the eastern end of the East Expanded map in order to focus more on Europe proper. Doing so allowed me to include Willem for the Netherlands, as well as putting the Turks in Anatolia. Unless you are dead set on playing as the Bactrians, Indians, or conquering central Asia as the Mongols, I would strongly recommend this map for your playthrough! The turns take less time as the map is smaller, and the action in Europe is more fast paced and intriguing with the addition of the Dutch and Turks. Here it is in all of its glory, meticulously playtested to achieve the best balance for each civilization:

NiRv4n4 Europe - Base.png

Playable are the following civilizations

Isabella for Spain
Elizabeth for England
Louis for France
Willem for Dutch
Ragnar for Vikings
Frederick for Prussia
Charles for Austria (Charlemagne)
Peter for Russia
Augustus for Rome
Alexander for Macedon
Spartocus for Bosporus (Pericles)
Genghis Khan for Mongols
Mehmed for Turks
Hammurabi for Babylon
Cyrus for Persia
Ramesses for Egypt
Hannibal for Carthage
Tariq for Moors (Saladin)

The other map into which I have put much recent work is Europe - East Expanded, which is based on my original East Expanded map from years ago, improved in various locations for geographic accuracy and balanced play. This map is better suited for players wishing to make use of all of Persia, Turkestan, and northern India.

NiRv4n4 Europe - East Expanded2.png

The civilizations available for play are the following:

Isabella for Spain
Elizabeth for England
Louis for France
Ragnar for Vikings
Frederick for Prussia
Charles for Austria (Charlemagne)
Peter for Russia
Augustus for Rome
Alexander for Macedon
Bulan for Khazars (Genghis Khan)
Kublai Khan for Mongols
Shalmaneser for Assyria (Gilgamesh)
Cyrus for Persia
Eucratides for Bactria (Pericles)
Asoka for India
Ramesses for Egypt
Hannibal for Carthage
Tariq for Moors (Saladin)

Enjoy!

Previous description from 2018 may be found below:

Spoiler :

NiRv4n4 Europe and Eurasia.png

As of February 2018, there are 2 different maps included in this download, each with 3 versions. The first is a map of Europe and the second is a map of Eurasia. For my Europe map, there is a "North Expanded", and "East Expanded" version, screenshots of which can be viewed below. In these versions, each player starts with a few cities, religions are already on the board, and there are plenty of barbarians around. For my Eurasia map, there is a regular start, and an alternate start, featuring different civilizations, with plenty of barbarian cities and religions also already placed, which can be seen below.

Each map has a version called "Blank Start" which is what I would recommend playing first; in these versions, the number of barbarian cities are reduced, there are no religions on the map at the start, and each player starts with only a settler, warrior, and scout at the location of their capital city. This version allows for the greatest amount of freedom and unpredictability.

Aside from very old change logs from when I first made and updated this map, the rest of this post will focus on the Europe - Blank Start and Eurasia - Blank Start maps. The screenshots have been taken several turns in to show where the capital cities are located; on turn 0, you just have a settler, scout, and warrior at that location.

EUROPE - Blank Start

Europe-Map.jpg

Isabella for Spain
Elizabeth for England
Louis XIV for France
Hannibal for Carthage
Augustus for Rome
Ragnar for Vikings
Frederick for Prussia
Charles (Charlemagne leaderhead) for Austria
Alexander for Macedonia
Catherine for Russia
Bulan (Genghis Khan leaderhead) for Khazaria
Tigranes (Gilgamesh leaderhead) for Armenia
Hatshepsut for Egypt
Saladin for Arabia
Cyrus for Persia
Kublai Khan for Mongolia
Demetrios (Pericles leaderhead) for Bactria
Asoka for India

EURASIA - Blank Start

Eurasia-Map.jpg

Isabella for Spain
Elizabeth for England
Louis XIV for France
Augustus for Rome
Bismarck for Germany
Justinian for Byzantium
Peter for Russia
Mansa Musa for Mali
Zara Yaqob for Ethiopia
Ramesses II for Egypt
Saladin for Arabia
Cyrus for Persia
Asoka for India
Suryavarman II for Khmer
Genghis Khan for Mongolia
Qin Shi Huang for China
Wang Kon for Korea
Tokugawa for Japan

Realism Invictus

I have also included my map of Europe expanded to the east adapted to Realism Invictus, there are almost 30 playable civilizations. Give it a try if you enjoy the mod. Here is a screenshot of it:

RI-EUROPE.png

Installation Instructions

After downloading, right click the file 'Europe & Eurasia' and click "Open containing folder".Select the file(s) you want to play, and extract them to your Civ 4 saves folder (usually found in Documents: My Games: Beyond the Sword: Saves: Worldbuilder

Then, start the game up, go to "Play Scenario" (or Custom Scenario to change up options), and enjoy!​

Civilization 5 version of map released at - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=385112. Follow the link for info on how to install it.

Old change logs, etc:

Very old description, from 2010:

Spoiler :

Most of the rest of this post is unaltered and references the map now identified as "Europe - North Expanded":

This is a map of Europe, 110 by 100 tiles. It includes all of Europe, north Africa, and west Asia. I made it by working off of the Europe map that came with BTS. The main reason I am posting this is to hopefully get suggestions as to what could be changed to make it better, involving balance and geographical accuracy. The map has Europe, the Middle East, and the Atlas mountain region, but I suppose you can gather the most by looking at it. The leaders are as follows, clockwise around the Mediterranean from Iberia;

Joao for Portugal
Isabella for Spain
Louis XIV for France
Victoria for England
Bismarck for Prussia
Canute (Ragnar leaderhead) for Vikings
Julius Ceasar for Rome
Charles V (Charlemagne leaderhead) for Austria
Pericles for Greece
Justinian I for Byzantines
Peter for Russia
Aetias (Brennus leaderhead) for Scythians (located in Ukraine)
Genghis Khan for Mongols
Tigranes II (Gilgamesh) for Armenia
Cyrus for Persia
Hatshepsut for Egypt
Hannibal for Carthage

Maps from previous versions -
Spoiler :

4.0 map
Spoiler :

3.0 map
Spoiler :

2.5 map
Spoiler :

2.0 maps
Europe - Improved
Spoiler :

Alternate version - Europe - Danmark
Spoiler :

1.6 map
Spoiler :

1.5 map
Spoiler :

1.2 map
Spoiler :

1.1 map
Spoiler :

1.0 map
Spoiler :

I placed all of the resources and redid all of the terrain by hand (Mesopotamia going into the Persian Gulf was quite an issue, as well as completely redoing Iberia), and made static starting positions. I have playtested quite a few times on this, and Russia, Germany, and Greece usually came out on top, although there are rather frequently exceptions. However, they were for the most part rather even by 150 turns in.

Previous changes
Spoiler :
Note for version 1.1 - Added the Byzantines to the Carpathian Basin area, and have changed some aspects to make it more balanced.

Note for version 1.2 - Fixed up Iberia and north Africa, made a lot of minor changes and balanced it a lot more.

Note for version 1.5 - Made a bunch of changes since last time, changes in leaders and such. Redid resources, and made a bunch of other minor changes. So, any suggestions by people would be great, and I would appreciate it.

Note for Version 2.0 - In this, I added another file (Europe - Danmark) which bears the distinction that the Vikings start in Denmark, not Norway, and a land bridge is made between Denmark and Sweden. Other changes were made as well.

Note for version 2.5 - In this version, the Norse are only located in Denmark. Portugal has been added in, with appropriate resource restructuring to make things more balanced.

Note for version 3.0 - The map has been expanded southward, courtesy of Mapview, and Arabia was replaced with a more location-appropriate Egypt. The other, smaller, Arabia map is included as "Europe - Arabia", so if you want to play as Saladin, use that one.

Note for version 4.0 - Many changes have been made since the last version. The British Isles, Levant, and Pontic coasts have all been redesigned, and various mountain ranges have received changes (Alps now have a defined Swiss region, Atlas mountains are not so enormous, Ural mountains are more resource rich to help the often-lagging Mongols). I have removed the Turks of central Anatolia and replaced them with the Byzantines in Constantinople. Also, a new civilization, the Armenian Empire, has been added into the Armenian Highland. Bonus resources were all erased and re-placed according to balance and regional geography. This map may or may not be more balanced than the 3.0 version; as I notice certain areas of imbalance, I will adjust my worldbuilder save, and occasionally re-upload the more balanced file as I deem fit.

Note for version 5.0 - in this update, the map has been expanded two tiles both to the east and to the south. The regions of Iran, Turkestan, Bohemia, Pomerania, Iberia, and more, have all been changed. One particular problem was the northern latitude of the Persian Gulf; this has been corrected. Also included in this version is an alternative map, "Europe - Cities Placed". In that scenario, each civilization begins with three major cities, and barbarian cities abound. To keep the Levant competitive, Saladin has been added into that file. I will experiment with certain city arrangements to see what works best. Religions are all pre-placed, and you can expect the game to take off much more quickly with 3 cities and a collection of units. To compensate for this, both the "Europe - Improved" file and the "Europe - Cities Placed" file have less bonus resources, so the game won't end at AD 600.

• EURASIA.png
    EURASIA.png
    360.6 KB · Views: 871
  • EUROPE.png
    EUROPE.png
    403.1 KB · Views: 500
  • Europe-east.png
    Europe-east.png
    411 KB · Views: 521
  • Europe-north.png
    Europe-north.png
    387 KB · Views: 595
Reactions: tantanmen
Author
NiRv4n4
Downloads
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
4.00 star(s) 5 ratings

Latest updates

1. Single City Start

Now includes map labeled "NiRv4n4 Europe - Base - Single City Start", for which all civs start...
  2. Europe - East Expanded Updated

I updated the East Expanded map to be in line with the Base map. I.e., the Sahara oasis cities...
  3. Much Improved Europe

After much tweaking, geographic consideration, and playtesting, I have updated my Europe - East...
Top Bottom