Resource icon

Expanded Recon Class v1.0 2016-12-08

This mod adds 2 new units to the Recon promotion class: the Explorer and the Sniper. And modifies the recon promotion tree for balance with new units.

The Explorer upgrades from the Scout (currently) at Gunpowder tech then upgrades to Ranger. The Sniper upgrades from Ranger at Advanced Ballistics tech.

Explorer
Base Movement: 3
Base Sight Range: 2
Base Melee strength: 35
Cost: 200
Maintenance: 3
Abilities: Ignores movement penalties for crossing rivers and disembarking.

Sniper
Base Movement: 3
Base Sight Range: 3
Base Melee Strength: 50
Base Combat Range: 2
Base Ranged Strength: 75
Cost: 500
Maintenance: 6
Abilities: Cannot move then attack on same turn. +1 combat range when on hills. +12 ranged strength vs. non-heavy-cavalry land units.

Screenshot of new recon promotion tree:
Motivation for change is that sniper is OP under the vanilla recon promotion tree.
New Recon Promotion.png
New Units Screenshot.png

(Probably doesn't make sense that a sniper has a dog, but it was a bit sad the thought of killing it off for the last promotion).

Additional changes
  • All the recon units start with 1 promotion available.
  • Machine gun base range increased to 2 (because its stupid that a gun unlocked by the advanced ballistics can't shoot as far as an archer).
  • Naturalist sight range decreased to 2.
  • (Plan to update soon because I just remembered while typing this: make all great people units able to be captured, reduce great people movement to 2 and remove "explorer" tag from naturalist, because the civilian/great people units shouldn't be used as exploration units, that's what the recon units should be for).

This is my first attempt at a Mod for any Civ game, I hope you like it. I haven't really tested it in terms of gameplay balance, so suggestions welcome. Also, if you want to re-use or rework anything from the mod feel free.

Thanks to Deliverator (MOAR units author), I followed your mods as a template, which was very helpful. It won't actually be compatible with the MOAR units mod as is, but if you add the artdef files from both mods and then edit the path dependencies in the "Civ6.dep" file, then both mods should work fine together, but I haven't tested this...

Installation Instructions

1. Unzip the zip file.
2. Copy the "Expanded Recon Class" folder into the mods directory (.../Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization VI/Mods/).
3. Copy the "Base" folder (from within the "Expanded Recon Class" folder) to the "Base" folder in the Civ VI game root directory (.../steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization VI) overwriting 5 existing files adding the new art references. You should probably backup these files first - use at your own risk!
4. Enable enable "Expanded Recon Class" via the checkbox under Additional Content.
Reactions: Tdot1
Author
ET1990
Downloads
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
4.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Latest reviews

Adds unique progression the the Recon unit establishing them like any other unit and giving them value in the late game when scouting is not much needed anymore.
Top Bottom