"History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it."
- Winston Churchill
Version 1.24.1 released 25th December 2016
Nigeria, K-Mod, independent Corporations, Syndicates, Share Trading, and much more!
History Rewritten is an expansion and enhancement of Beyond the Sword designed for both Mac and Windows, single and multiplayer. Its philosophy is that new content and new mechanics are great, but only when they are designed and integrated well; carefully balanced, and using quality art. Many aspects of BTS have been rebalanced or redesigned to accomodate this, some quite extensively. The mod is actively developed; there've been 24 major updates since release back in 2010, and more are planned.
History Rewritten values historical accuracy, but equally strives for historical diversity and to avoid determinism. After all, you are not recreating history - you are rewriting it!
For more information, instructions, support, and discussion,
please visit the History Rewritten Forum!
- Civil War!
- 56 civilizations, each with 2 UUs, 1 UB, and a Unique Wonder
- 172 animated leaders with custom personalities and diplomacy
- 20 traits, a unique combination for every leader
- 36 civics, completely redesigned and with dissent ratings
- 36 tenets to customize your state religion
- 18 prophet-founded religions, faith, and reformations
- 12 Corporations, 4 Syndicates, and share trading
- 145 technologies in a completely redesigned tech tree
- 23 new buildings, extensive redesigning of existing buildings
- 7 new national wonders, 6 new world wonders
- 18 new units, much rebalancing of existing units
- 6 new promotions
- Doctors and Great Doctors
- Separate GPP for each Great Person type
- Culture spreads over trade routes
- 21 new resources, redesigned interactions with improvements and buildings
- 15 Natural Wonders
- Orchards, Paved Roads, Highways
- Savannah, Wetlands, Islands, Atolls, Reefs, Marine Reserves
- Redesigned Climate Change system
- Terrain graphics based on satellite imagery (modified Blue Marble)
- Cultural city and unit art for each civilization or cultural group
- City names dynamically chosen, considering leader, era, and conquest
- Culturally linked starts option on all random maps
- Earth map with accurate start locations and free leader choice
- 2 new gamespeeds: Saga, Odyssey
- Enhanced interface and advisor screens
- K-Mod: significantly improved AI
- Multiplayer compatible
In History Rewritten a civilization does not necessarily represent a single ethnicity, period or nationality, but instead strives to represent the political and cultural diversity of a people through the ages. All leaders are animated and each has a unique trait combination, custom personality and diplomacy text. Each civilization has two unique units, a unique building, a unique wonder, and its own set of unit and city art. City naming is dynamic and can vary by leader, era, and conqueror.
There are 20 traits in History Rewritten and every leader has a unique trait combination.
There are a total of 36 civics in History Rewritten, divided into 6 categories. Most of the default civics have been replaced or redesigned. In addition to a maintenance rating, each civic has a dissent rating. Too much dissent, and your cities may try to secede!
There are no religious civics in History Rewritten. Instead, there are 36 religious tenets that let you customize the effects of your state religion. Tenets can only be changed when a Great Prophet triggers a reformation, and if they share a state religion, a reformation in one civilization can inspire or impose tenet changes in others!
11 new religions are added for a total of 18. History Rewritten includes world religions that are well known today but also several ancient religions, philosophies and mythologies that might have survived longer, developed more and spread further had history been a bit different. Each has a unique set of buildings and appropriately named missionary unit. Religions are founded by Great Prophets, which are generated by Faith - a new measure of a civilization's piety.
History Rewritten's tech tree has been built completely from scratch and features 140 technologies across 7 eras.
History Rewritten includes 12 Corporations and 4 Syndicates, which have extensively redesigned mechanics: more resources, more competition, no maintenance, greater variety of yields and commerces, share trading, poor labour conditions (unhappiness), and disregard for the environment (unhealthiness).
Buildings in History Rewritten have been extensively redesigned, with 23 entirely new buildings added. There are 7 new national wonders and, just like unique buildings, every civilization has its own unique wonder. There are also 6 new world wonders added, with several standard wonders redesigned.
Many units have been redesigned and rebalanced in History Rewritten. 23 new units have been added and each civilization has two unique units.
Terrain, Resources, and Improvements has been reworked and rebalanced in History Rewritten, and many new types have been added. Natural Wonders can also be found while exploring the world, which is rendered with an expanded version of Blue Marble.